PDA

View Full Version : MCRD Parris Island - My experience!

Shadowman777
03-05-06, 04:43 PM
MCRD - My experience

3 Hours before arrival at MCRD: Still smoking and joking. Wondering wait awaits us.

30 minutes before arrival at MCRD: Bus quiets quite a bit. Nervous laughter is more reserved.

Entering the gates of MCRD: Crap, we are here.

It is 2:00 AM ... the bus stops and Drill Instructor enters, and starts screaming: I think, "Oh sh1t - I f*cked up! I ain't in Wonderland anymore. Why the hell didn't I take the blue pill when Morpheus offered it??"

30 minutes into MRCD: I am numb.

2 hours into MCRD: I am still numb, but tired as well. I pray I don't screw up.

2 hours 30 minutes into MCRD: Rack time.

2 hours and 45 minutes into MCRD: Time to get up.

Day One: Can't remember - too friggin' tired.

Day Two: We get our Drill Instructors: Scared sh1tless. Please God don't let me screw up!!!

Days 2 through 7: Still scared sh1itless. I was appointed platoon's first Guide. At the Chow Hall, I tried to take a short cut through the DI eating area. My @ss is still sore 25 years later.

Weeks 1 -2: I can once again make a bowel movement. Still numb. What the hell did I get myself into. Write letter to folks to get me the hell out of here.

Weeks 3-4: No response from folks - I am still here. They must hate me. I am alone in the world. Wahhhh!

continuted later ....

Brooklyn
03-05-06, 07:12 PM
Very comforting.

Shadowman777
03-05-06, 07:22 PM
Very comforting.

It is what it is. It gets BETTER!! You will see! I can't tell you everything! LOL That would take away the surprise!

Let's just say it is a "journey" - and one I would do over and over and over again!

I envy your going through it the first time!

Steve

stiffler2
03-07-06, 08:48 AM
oh yeah, sounds like fun. Though, it seems that I have heard this before, somewhere...

Shadowman777
03-07-06, 03:14 PM
oh yeah, sounds like fun. Though, it seems that I have heard this before, somewhere...

LOL - that is probably every Marines story (if he's honest). I read to my son last night (who graduated from PI in Dec 2002) and he said, "Yup, that sounds about right."

The first three weeks are the toughest. Once you figure out what the DI's expect of you, it is all downhill from there. 3rd Phase is the best. That is when you learn "Monkey Drills" and get to show off for the forming mobs. (You also get to abuse the 1st Phase recruits a bit in the chow hall - shhhhh! It's kind of like how a high school seniors treat freshmen.)

Marine84
03-07-06, 03:39 PM
I'm with you Steve - I wish I could do it again sometimes even though at first the only thing I could think of was "what in the hell have I done?". All those times somebody got up in my face and told me that I wasn't worth wearing the uniform or the only way I was getting off that island was to take my sorry ass back home because I wasn't worth the title, blah, blah, blah. Graduation day when I got that emblem attached to my cover, DI says to me "I never thought you would make it but you did, congratulations Marine" and I lost it...................

Brooklyn
03-07-06, 03:43 PM
I'm with you Steve - I wish I could do it again sometimes even though at first the only thing I could think of was "what in the hell have I done?". All those times somebody got up in my face and told me that I wasn't worth wearing the uniform or the only way I was getting off that island was to take my sorry ass back home because I wasn't worth the title, blah, blah, blah. Graduation day when I got that emblem attached to my cover, DI says to me "I never thought you would make it but you did, congratulations Marine" and I lost it...................

You cried?

How many of you cried when you first got the Eagle Globe & Anchor?

How many in your platoon cried?

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-07-06, 04:26 PM
Since most of us didn't get the Eagle, Globe and Anchor as is done now, it wasn't the same for us. We were simply standing in formation when the C.O. told the audience that we was proud to be the first to call us Marines, then turned and said "Good morning Marines!" and that was our "transition" from subhuman into larger than life.

Shadowman777
03-07-06, 04:49 PM
Since most of us didn't get the Eagle, Globe and Anchor as is done now, it wasn't the same for us. We were simply standing in formation when the C.O. told the audience that we was proud to be the first to call us Marines, then turned and said "Good morning Marines!" and that was our "transition" from subhuman into larger than life.

Well said Echo about the transition.

The "Pin Ceremony" is a new thing for the guys. Thing is, you have one more night before graduation day - as the pin ceremony is on "Family Day." I know I held my breath until I got my @ss off that Rock! Or - as my son said right after graduation. "Let's go, go go." I don't think he was able to relax and breath normally until we hit North Carolina~! LOL!

The Sandman
03-07-06, 04:49 PM
my friend left the Marines about 6 years ago i think. he said many cried and the rest were working hard holding it back.

Marine84
03-08-06, 11:25 AM
You dog gone right I cried - I ain't ashamed to admit it. With us they did the emblem ceremony a few hours before actual graduation. It was pride that made me do it - I was (and STILL am) so damned proud of myself because I made it through Marine Corps boot camp! It was the hardest thing (physically) that I've ever had to do in my life. I cried but you can bet I waited until that DI stepped away from me first - HAHAHA! I cried then just like I cry every time I go to the Wall in DC or to a reunion with my Uncle's unit (1/1 ROCKS!) - it's PRIDE baby!

Rdy2gopoolie
03-08-06, 04:02 PM
I hear that. when are you going to finish your recollections of boot camp sir?

KMichael
03-10-06, 06:28 PM
yeah... i'd kinda like to know what you went through... lol...

Shadowman777
03-10-06, 07:38 PM
yeah... i'd kinda like to know what you went through... lol...

I can't do that! That what take away your right of discovery!

I gave you the worst part. It gets better and better from there.

What I want you guys to do is finish it if you graduate! :devious:

Steve

Brooklyn
03-10-06, 08:11 PM
I want to hear more about people crying.