PDA

View Full Version : F-18

ja98
03-04-06, 05:06 PM
If I join the reserves and eventually switch to active duty as a F-18 powerplant mechanic will I be away from my wife alot? The reason I ask is cause I heard they are always deployed. And for those that are in the Marines is their any jobs you would recomend for someone who is married? I know Im going to be away from my wife alot joining the Marines just looking for some advice.

yellowwing
03-05-06, 02:17 PM
Many of us have tried to impress upon you that much depends on the Need of the Corps. Civilians often have a hard time grasping what we sacrifice to Serve Our Beloved Corps. You really must have that burning desire in you to do what ever it takes.

We can answer all your questions on hypothetical situations, but sooner or later you have to decide for yourself. You will be the one raising your right hand and stepping on our yellow footprints.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-07-06, 03:12 PM
To make it simple, yes you will be away from your wife quite a bit. Most Marines are. Now, if it doesn't happen to you, you can be surprised. If it does, you can't say you weren't warned.

Brooklyn
03-07-06, 03:38 PM
I don't get it.

Does every Marine get stationed to ships regardless of their MOS or is it only combat MOS Marines?

If all MOSs don't go with ships, then wouldn't someone...let's say some kind of paper typer, or MP or something get to spend time with their wives as long as she lives with him where he is stationed?

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-07-06, 04:23 PM
In my experience, all Marines deploy at some point. It may be a month long trip to CAX or a year in Oki. Admin and MP's are needed everywhere, not just at the bigger bases. As for being stationed on ship, that is the Navy, not the Marines. There are Marines on ships for one reason or another, and just about every MOS is needed there as well. The MEU isn't just grunts, it is a complete MAGTF with air, ground, and support elements.

There is a reason that a former Commandant tried to make it impossible for young people to enlist if they were married. It isn't an easy life, especially for new Marines

Brooklyn
03-07-06, 04:27 PM
I thought some Marines were stationed on ships near certain "hotspots" worldwide. When I think about being deployed that's what usually pops in my head ( aside from Iraq, obviously ).

Wouldn't Oki be a permanent station?

marineske2002
03-09-06, 10:32 AM
In my experience, all Marines deploy at some point. It may be a month long trip to CAX or a year in Oki. Admin and MP's are needed everywhere, not just at the bigger bases. As for being stationed on ship, that is the Navy, not the Marines. There are Marines on ships for one reason or another, and just about every MOS is needed there as well. The MEU isn't just grunts, it is a complete MAGTF with air, ground, and support elements.

There is a reason that a former Commandant tried to make it impossible for young people to enlist if they were married. It isn't an easy life, especially for new Marines

I agree with you on yes every Marine deploys at minamum once in the 4 or 5 years they are in. CAX I really wouldn't call a deployment, and it is 2 years in Oki. I am right now stationed on the USS Peleliu and I run into Grunts, Motor-T, EOD, Admin, MPs, Cooks, Aircraft Mechs, and so on. Well to answer the question, every Marine (unless unable to deploy for one reason or another) married or not will deploy. Either to Iraq, on a boat, or to Japan, or anywhere else the Marine Corps can think of.

jryanjack
03-09-06, 11:36 AM
CAX I really wouldn't call a deployment.

I suppose it matters how you define a deployment. I personally defined it as anytime I was away from my home base for more than a couple of days. CAX in my day was over a month (they actually ran 2 CAX's back to back but swaped out several units - mine stayed for both) unless you were assigned advance or rear party then it was longer.

It all depends on the unit to which you are assigned and what your MOS is. I was in the Wing, Marine Air Support Squadrons mostly, and we never deployed the entire Squadron to the same place at the same time and I don't recall the S-1 shop deloying much at all. That being said I did a deployment about once or twice a quarter for on average 30 days at a time. Plus a Med Float and a year in Oki (they changed the length of an unaccompanied tour in Oki to 2 years a few years back).

All of this when we weren't at war, so you can expect to deploy a lot!

Marine84
03-15-06, 01:53 PM
This is something you should think about before you commit to the Corps Brooklyn. EVERY Marine (male or female) deploys somewhere, sometime - it's a fact. You may even get sent overseas for a year unaccompanied tour - which means you cannot take a spouse/children with you unless YOU foot the bill for them. If your relationship/marriage cannot handle this - DON'T JOIN THE MILITARY. It will be hard enough because sometimes you make really close friends with people that you're stationed with and it's sad enough when one or the other of you gets orders to go to the next duty station.

cgkades
03-15-06, 02:01 PM
if you do not have an understanding wife or girlfriend, your life will not be fun. you will constantly be torn between the two, and in the end the Corps will win. if you do not give in to the Corps your life could very well be ruined.

Brooklyn
03-15-06, 02:22 PM
She'll be fine.