PDA

View Full Version : The Women Marines Association

WMAMI2
03-02-06, 09:04 PM
I have seen many articles posted on our women and on our group. Thought I would share with you the following info about WMA. Below is the email I send out to my fellow Marines to let them know about WMA and what we do.

Dear Marine,
You have earned what few have had the courage, endurance and patience to earn. You are a Marine. This is a title that no Marine takes lightly no matter length of duty or age. Your hard work and dedication has made it possible for you to become a member of the only nationally sanctioned organization for women who have or are currently serving in the United States Marine Corps

I wanted to tell you a little about WMA. We are the Women Marines Association. Leatherneck has just published a great story on our group. You can read that at: http://www.mca-marines.org/leatherneck/WMMarchOnFeb06.htm

WMA is a non-profit veterans association comprised of women who have served or are serving honorably in the United States Marine Corps regular or reserve components.

Since 1918, American women have answered their country's call to serve. We have served proudly with distinction and honor; each generation evolving but always retaining our proud traditions. The Women Marines Association is the only veterans association for and about Marines who just happen to be women..

The Women Marines Association was established in Denver, CO, in 1960 to ensure that our history as women Marines would continue to be told and passed on to a new generation of Marines. Our members enjoy renewing old friendships and creating new ones through the mails and in attending our biennial convention. WMA is a member of the Navy-Marine Corps Council and the National Marine Corps Council. We also maintain a liaison with Headquarters, Marine Corps.

WMA National Convention
Every two years, WMA holds a national convention where members from far and wide gather for a week of visiting with old friends, making new friends, attending banquets and business meetings and partaking in what the locale has to offer. Our next one is in Louisville Sept 1-5, 2006. Active duty can attend the convention TAD. We have seminars directed to our active duty Marines. 2008 will find use in Houston TX.

WMA Mission Statement:
~To preserve and promote the history and traditions of women Marines
~To foster, encourage and perpetuate the spirit of comradeship among women in the Marine Corps
~To promote the welfare of elderly, disabled and needy women Marines
~To provide assistance to hospitalized veterans and members of the Armed Forces
~To promote the civic and social welfare of the community
~To sponsor or participate in patriotic activities, especially those that perpetuate the traditions and espirt de corps of the Marine Corps
~To conduct programs for charitable and educational purposes

Our current president is Paula Sarlls. Past president is LtGen Carol Mutter retired. We have a host of women of all ages, active to retired.

You can check out my past area newsletter for Michigan at:
http://www.jocokyroots.com/Dec05a.pdf

We have members in every state as well as those who are deployed.

WMA is a great way to find boot camp buddies. Our resource guide includes our entire membership listed by service, maiden and married names. We also offer scholarships and so much more for our members.

If you are interested in joining you can email me for an application. I can let you know what chapter is close to you. We have chapters in almost every state. If there is no chapter directly in your area we can work with you to establish one.

I served 74-76 active duty and then 6 years as a reserve. I was an 1143 (high voltage electrician). I was the first 1143 in the Corps. You can see how active our chapter is by checking out our website.
We run Operation Caring Friends and send out over 200 boxes a month to our men and women in Iraq. Let me know if you would like to participate. I would be more than happy to send you the info on how to do it!

Currently the TX chapters are working on a cookbook called, "Cooking With Marines". We would love to have a recipe from you as well as a little bit of history on your time in the Corps. If you are interested just let me know and I will be more than happy to get you rolling.

We hope to hear back from you soon!
Semper Fi,
Mary Ann Merritt
WMA National PRO
www.womenmarines.org
Operation Caring Friends
Taking care of Deployed Marines
www.jocokyroots.com/USMC.htm
WMA Michigan 2 Motor City

OKboomer
03-08-06, 04:26 PM
OhhRah,

I would like more information about the "Cooking with Marines" cookbook.

SemperFi,

OKboomer

WMAMI2
03-08-06, 05:52 PM
Just drop me an email at merrittone@comcast.net. I will send you all of the info and forms to submit a recipe.

:marine: