PDA

View Full Version : How are YOU getting ready for boot?

Shazda
03-01-06, 06:37 PM
I would like to know what all of the current Poolees are doing to get ready for boot. Currently I am Running every day at an outside track, not all flat has hills, track is 7/10 mil long. I am also going to the gym everyday, working chest one day, bi's tri's and shoulders one day, then legs the other. Im also not working for bulk just overall getting strength.

Now Im very poor at doing pullups so im working on pulldowns, and an weighted crunch machine.

These are just the things that I am doing to get ready for boot (Ship date 20060417, Parris Island)

What are YOU doing to get ready?

(If you have any tips for me, please give some feedback)

KMichael
03-01-06, 07:26 PM
dont lift weights... anything you can do... squats and such... do with your own body weight... most of boot in endurance... study your poolee handbook... do lots of pushups.... yeah... thats about all i can think of right now... good luck... Semper Fi...

Smalcom
03-01-06, 07:42 PM
even though im just a wannabe.... im running 6 times a week (with a program i devised my own, you can check it out on the "hit a plateau" post)
lifting 2-3 times a week, swimming 3-4 times a week, doing a daily 8 three times a day (containing the armstrong pullup program).

but neway my pullups are at 24
my crunches are at 126
and my run time is 17:56 (at 4500ft. elevation)

outlaw3179
03-01-06, 07:47 PM
Damn smalcom ..your a friggin maniac...your gonna smoke the PFT keep up the good work !

Smalcom
03-01-06, 07:51 PM
Thanks outlaw... I am a PT guru lol

Thatcher
03-01-06, 09:31 PM
Congrats Smalcom. How long have you been doing your routine?

And whats your diet like? Thats what kills me, Ive been working out hard for a little over a year but my diet isnt very good.

I go to the gym about 5 days a week, lift weights with my upper body, and switch up running with lifting with my legs every other day. I just started swimming too.

Smalcom
03-01-06, 09:33 PM
honestly i eat a lot... about 5 meals a day... just for the energy, potassium and water keep me going (recovery, read the "hit a plateau" post).... but i have cut out fatty, greasy, and oily foods and i dont drink pop nemore... ive been on the program for about 6-7 months... and i CANT STOP... lol

Smalcom
03-01-06, 09:45 PM
Im a recon wannabe neway... just think to myself, the harder i go, the easier the BRC will be... even though it wont be :( lol

Smalcom
03-01-06, 09:47 PM
dont lift weights... anything you can do... squats and such... do with your own body weight... most of boot in endurance... study your poolee handbook... do lots of pushups.... yeah... thats about all i can think of right now... good luck... Semper Fi...

you can lift if u want.... i do light weight and a lot of reps one day... then low reps high weight the next day... builds lots of endurance and strength at the same time, youll need upper body strength in boot camp neway.

but again do LOTS OF PUSHUPS i do about 360-500 a day, tones and endurances the muscles you strengthened while you were lifting, this works great.

Osotogary
03-02-06, 12:05 PM
Smalcom-
Outstanding regimen. Do you give you body a chance to recuperate/rest? That's just as important as your PT.

Shazda
03-02-06, 12:33 PM
Smalcom, what workouts are you doing when you lift?

Lorix
03-02-06, 12:40 PM
You make me sick.

VaMarine
03-02-06, 12:51 PM
Im getting ready by drinking plenty of beer, and eating all the junk food i possibly can.. its the best way ever i swear...

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-02-06, 12:55 PM
Lifting weights is a great way to get ready for boot. The more types of stress your body is exposed to, the stronger it gets... which may help eliminate injuries. Lifting two to four times a week would be a great idea.

AmyG
03-02-06, 01:09 PM
I switch swimming and running, and I do some weight training. And when I have time and space, I get down and do some push-ups, seems how I'm very pitiful there.

Accord
03-02-06, 02:18 PM
I lost more than 80 pounds to get ready for boot.

Shadowman777
03-02-06, 02:47 PM
I lost more than 80 pounds to get ready for boot.

What is your height and weight now?

Shazda
03-02-06, 02:47 PM
You make me sick.

Im not sure who you are talking too but if you cant come on here and make logical posts, then dont post at all.

Accord
03-02-06, 02:57 PM
What is your height and weight now?

I was 235 and the lowest I got was 156, I put on a little bit of muscle and I now hover around 159.

I am 5'10"

Shadowman777
03-02-06, 03:18 PM
I was 235 and the lowest I got was 156, I put on a little bit of muscle and I now hover around 159.

I am 5'10"

Much depends upon your frame, but you are about perfect now. I would not lose any more weight. If and when you go to boot camp, they will harden the soft parts - lol!

Osotogary
03-02-06, 03:31 PM
Lorix, the Marine -"You make me sick." followed by, Shazda, Poolee/DEP- "Im not sure who you are talking too but if you cant come on here and make logical posts, then dont post at all."

Question, Shazda.
In retrospect, do you think that "You make me sick" could possibly have been said tongue in cheek? I, personally, picked up the humor. I don't think anyone in their right mind on this website would try to disuade you from your quest and your efforts, in a durogatory fashion
especially if your efforts are genuine.
"You make me sick" often times is directed to a person that does things so easily and effortless, when compared to others that might have to stress and strain twice as hard just to come close that persons performance. Eg.,"That guy is so good...he makes me sick".
Perhaps, Shazda, you became too judgemental, too fast.

Shazda
03-02-06, 03:34 PM
That could be true, but if someone came up to you and said "You make me sick" how would you take it? I merely asked for suggestions, thats all.

Now if I said im not going to get in shape cause i want to be a fat lazy slob, then I would understand someone saying "you make me sick" but asking someone for advice is hardly something to get sick about.

Shadowman777
03-02-06, 03:46 PM
Question, Shazda.
In retrospect, do you think that "You make me sick" could possibly have been said tongue in cheek? I, personally, picked up the humor. I don't think anyone in their right mind on this website would try to disuade you from your quest and your efforts, in a durogatory fashion
especially if your efforts are genuine.
"You make me sick" often times is directed to a person that does things so easily and effortless, when compared to others that might have to stress and strain twice as hard just to come close that persons performance. Eg.,"That guy is so good...he makes me sick".
Perhaps, Shazda, you became too judgemental, too fast.

Good point Oz - I say the same thing to my son - and he laughs. He has been to a Superbowl game, whereas I have not even been in the same city where a Superbowl was being held. He goes to visit the University of Nebraska, goes into their work out facility and sees a guy tossing the ball in the air to himself. He asks him if he wants to have a catch. They toss the ball around a while, and then he leaves. He then notices this guys picture all over campus. Turns out he was tossing the ball around with Eric Crouch - the Heisman trophy winner - and he didn't even know it.

He then goes on deployment to Iraq aboard the Aircraft Carrier Nimitz, and ends up with a 4-5 second close up shot in the movie "Stealth" which came out this summer. His boat then pulls into port in Australia. He goes to a bar and ends up partying with some guy named "Mad Dog" - who turns out to be the number one motorcycle trick guy in the world.

So "yes" he makes me sick!!!! lol

Steve

Osotogary
03-02-06, 03:51 PM
No pizzing contest here, Shazda. I've just been around long enough on this website to have a good idea when words are said maliciously or in satire/humour. I have a pretty good feeling about this one BUT I have been wrong before.
Since I am a guest in this house (website) and, if the statement was directed towards me, I would have wanted to find out why the statement was made eg., "Why did you say that? " before drawing a negative conclusion.
We are different folks with different experiences and different approaches. No sweat here.

Osotogary
03-02-06, 03:57 PM
Oh, yeah, Shazda. Keep up the good work.

Shazda
03-02-06, 04:23 PM
I understand what you are saying, I guess people take things different ways.

and Thanks as well, I have a short time before I leave so im trying to get myself prepared.

Smalcom
03-02-06, 05:05 PM
i drink about a gallon of water a day and lots of potassium for recovery gary... ive just built muscle memory over time...

and when i lift i do military press, lat press, squats, bench, curls, weighted dips and pullups, some other random stuff.

Osotogary
03-02-06, 09:27 PM
Smalcom-
I have heard that before working out it is good to drink lots of water and eat a banana. Water and banana is like having Gatorade. Along the way there has been references to being in shape and being in combat shape. I can't recall the specific threads or discussions but I know that this subject has been brought up. I know that the discussions were fruitful, especially as another reference.
Adios and keep up the good work.
Gary

stiffler2
03-03-06, 11:04 AM
At this moment in my life I am in a weight training class at school, so I get plenty of workout there.
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday we work the muscles. We build 'em up, tone them, or whatever else we can think of.
On Tuesday and Thursday we do Cardio.

Everday we do abs, and everyone in the class hates me because I always ask for more and more. Like, we would normally do 6inchers, 3 sets of 30 crunches, and v-sits, but I always say "Hey, why not some elbows and toes?" or"Why not do another set of 6 inchers?"

Now, this is funny because I am one of the smaller kids in the class, and I do as much if not more than the bigger kids!

Brooklyn
03-03-06, 11:23 AM
The most important thing I'm doing to ready myself is having a tattoo removed from my neck. I've had 2 treatments and go for my third ( and possibly final ) treatment in a few days.

I'm also heavy with weight training. High weight/low reps combined with high reps/low weight, as well as dumbell and barbell curls with high weight.

I built a pullup bar in my backyard so everyother day I go out and do between 5-7 max. sets.

I do probably about 150-250 pushups a day, I honestly don't count them so I don't know how many I do.

I don't do any situps because it's something that's always come easy to me.