PDA

View Full Version : Tips on getting that 1 1/2 mile run?

Shazda
02-28-06, 11:23 PM
Currently I am not in the best of shape, I am trying to get my mile and a half in the 13:30..I am running at a track that is .7 (7/10 of a mile long) I can run the .7 in 7 min but I will be honest and say that I am out of breath by the time im done with that lap..

My question is, do any of you have any suggestions on getting my endurance up quickly? I know alot will say "Just Run" and I know this, but is there anything you guys did to possibly speed up the process, I would like to reach that 13:30 goal if not exceed by 20060401 and with plenty of energy and breath left. Thanks.

yellowwing
03-01-06, 01:54 AM
April 1st still a way off. In five weeks you can get that mile and a half. Its going to be a test of how determined you are. Its still almost five weeks away. Then when you hit Parris Island, it will be nothing but testing of how determined you are.

LCplLake
03-01-06, 05:53 AM
Run, or try to run twice as much as you goal. In your case, run for 3 miles instead of 1 1/2. Thats what I did.. 282 PFT

jryanjack
03-01-06, 07:30 AM
Unfortunately running is a big part of it, obviosuly. However, weight training can also help to build endurance. Lighter weights lots of reps is best for running - you want long lean muscles. Wearing ankle weights and carrying weights while running also helps.

servehard
03-01-06, 07:37 AM
Yea, also do some burn outs or moutain climbers too...burn outs are when u run from a short distance as fast as u can then doing it again and again until u want to quit but keep on doing it. dont give up

The Sandman
03-01-06, 08:22 AM
just run everyday. you say you can run .7miles without stopping? do .8 tomorrow. "test yourself everyday or its a wasted day" i believe is how the saying goes. i took that not to me "see how you are doing" but "test the limits of your capability." i started out from 24 min on the 1.5 and got down to a little less than 19min in three weeks. I will say, however, to take it easy and not try to be super man. on the last day of week three i decided to be cool-guy and sprint the last quarter mile uphill and now im injured. If i hadnt injured myself this would be week 7 and im sure id have it down to 12 minutes at this point. it got so much easier everyday. Also, and this is just one mans opinion, dont run on treadmills or tracks. Treadmills jack up your knees and tracks are even. go somewhere that has hills (if you can) that will help as well. Before i got injured i could already do the track 1.5mile at 14.5. I found that the trick was to run right when you wanted to walk the most. push yourself that extra little bit. Dont settle for the mark you made yesterday, even if its another .05 miles. better everday. dont give up

Shazda
03-01-06, 09:50 AM
Thanks for all of the support and help guys, Each day I will push myself further to real that goal. Right now im honestly not worried about my time at all, its my endurance...Once I am able to actually do the mile and a half without dieing then I wil work on my speed.

Again thanks for the support, I asked on another military forum (actually military.com discussion) and i got this "wow your out of shape". Thanks.

stiffler2
03-03-06, 11:25 AM
1. Keep your head down and your chin to your chest.
2. Don't think about running.
3. Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth.
4. Pace yourself.

Now, that's all that I have for you, sorry. Here is a question, though. I have heard that if you are determined to be a Marine, and you don't pass the running test, or any other test for that matter, with a good score, the DI may still let you go to the next step if he/she thinks you are good enough. Is this true?

CrazyBrave83
03-03-06, 11:37 AM
Not that I noticed. Those who couldn't hack the IST would get dropped to the Pork Chop Platoon (PCP) and stay there until they could run a good enough IST to make a training platoon.

Now if you're in training and you fall out? If it's medical you'll go to BAS, and if it's bad enough MRP or EHP...

But other than that they'll push you until failure is a ghost in your mind.

jgorosco
03-03-06, 11:38 AM
The best thing to get your time down is this and it works:
Mon: jog for 25min. straight with out stopping, then push-ups and crunches after
Tues: jog for 20 min then do 30 lunges
Wed: jog for 30 min then push-ups and crunches after
Thurs: Endurance work; warm-up for 10 min then do 8 45sec sprints with 2 min break in between then 10 min cool down
Fri: Slow easy jog for 40 min without stopping
Weekends you can jog if you want to stay loose for about 15-20min with push-ups and sit-ups

While running concentrate on your breathing nice even deep breaths. Also focus on points way ahead of you try not to look at the ground cause it impeeds your breathing. You do that for 3 weeks rising 5min per day for each week and you will be were you need to be. Any more questions feel free to ask

stiffler2
03-03-06, 11:40 AM
Crazy- oh, okay. Thanks!