PDA

View Full Version : Close order drill manual

wrbones
11-26-02, 04:44 PM
http://members.aol.com/WWWMarine/coddoc.html

What! Ya think I'd down load the whole thing for ya!

Cynrose
11-26-02, 05:28 PM
Thank you, Sir, for looking up this information and posting it here.

Cynrose

wrbones
11-26-02, 06:02 PM
Yer welcome!

AND DON'T CALL ME SIR, I work for a livin'!

LMAO. :D

firstsgtmike
11-27-02, 09:11 AM
Bones,

I think it was a typo, what she intended was to spell it "CUR".

Gary
11-27-02, 05:11 PM
ROFLMAO!!!! :banana: :D :D

wrbones
11-27-02, 05:17 PM
I would say something to that, but I'm smarter than I look!

((Let's see, I got three stripes, he's got three rockers and then some....somehow the math doesn't work....))

LMAO. So, we're down to cheap shots now, huh! LOL.

Ya gotta a canoe? I know where ya might find some Pubs! LMAO

Cynrose
11-29-02, 09:42 PM
Don't suppose it would be a good idea to say... "But I respect all my elders?" ;)

Sorry about that though, I have been calling just about everyone lately Sir or Ma'am. I think my recruiters are going to thomp me upside the head soon. Better just go back to calling them by their rank. :D

So, I'll do it properly this time.

Thank you Sgt. for the information you are posting to us nasty civilians. :D

Cynrose
- one of the nasty civilians and "wannabees"

wrbones
11-29-02, 10:55 PM
LMAOROTF @ Cynrose. That's better!

DevilPup2004
11-30-02, 10:39 AM
Cynrose, what's really funny is watching over wannabes attempt to correct me when I refer to enlisted servicemembers by their rank instead of "Sir" or "Ma'am." :D

Enlisted Marines will jump on ya for calling them "Sir" or "Ma'am" almost as fast as they'll jump on ya for not capitalizing the "M" in "Marine."

Cynrose
11-30-02, 01:40 PM
You know actually Sgt, you are the only Marine that has jumped on my case for that.

Guess I was bound to get it sometime. :D

Thank you for correcting me though Sgt. ;)

Cyn

Rock
12-01-02, 01:24 AM
I'd agree with DP2004. Man, the crap I got for all the sir and ma'am I used to say in chat. The care packages I have comin' to me......;) But I've learned! Earned myself this nickname, too, eh Joe T? :p

~Me

jenrmurray
07-05-03, 01:01 PM
Sgt. Bones, this guide is great. I just randomly came upon it on the internet and was going to post it, glad I did the non-stupid thing and searched first to make sure no one else had done it. :)

ALL the kids down at the substation call the recruiters 'Sir,' they don't seem to mind... or they think it's funny. :)

22DevilPup87
07-05-03, 01:53 PM
In my experience, I've been flamed more for calling civilians ma'am/sir than accidentally calling an enlisted Marine ma'am/sir. The Marines I've come across have allowed some leeway for learning customs and courtesies before they thought about getting on my back for making a mistake. As long as ya don't try to disrespect them they've been cool around me.

It's the civvies that get on my back for calling them ma'am/sir. They make it seem like I'm being disrespectful by addressing them as ma'am/sir. ... I don't get it. I thought that was what I was supposed to do.

jenrmurray
07-05-03, 05:30 PM
hehe it's cause ma'am/sir makes them feel old.

22DevilPup87
07-05-03, 05:56 PM
And what's wrong with that? There's lots of stuff you can do when you're "old" that you can't do when you're "young" ...
Like voting and ordering care packages for JennyJake.

thedrifter
07-05-03, 06:17 PM
In the Marine Corps, Male Officers are called "Sir" and Female Officers are called "Ma"am". Only in Boot Camp are DI's called Sir/Ma'am. I earned the rank of SSgt, was called by this when I was active............I'm stilled called this by many Polee's in here........Their way of showing respect.........Calling a Veteran Marine by his rank is a good way of showing respect for that Marine...........Remember, he earned the respect........Maybe someday you will have the same respect shown you.......

The Drifter
:marine:

22DevilPup87
07-05-03, 06:50 PM
Agreed SSgt. Drifter. The few times I have called an enlisted Marine (active, veteran, or what have you) sir/ma'am it was purely unintentional or because I had not yet learned that enlisted Marines aren't to be addressed as ma'am/sir and most of the time I quickly corrected myself.

I was stating my experiences more than anything else, noting that Marines I've come across have allowed more leeway for show of respect than civilians. Once I was told that the most respectful way to address or refer to an enlisted Marine was by rank and name that what I started to do. Civilians all tend to have their own self-proclaimed title, and it's rarely ma'am or sir, at least in my experience. It can get difficult at times. Unless I've met someone I don't know their name or title preference.

jenrmurray
07-05-03, 11:55 PM
Jess, that made me laugh out loud! :) hehe

22DevilPup87
07-06-03, 12:01 AM
Yeah, that was as inside joke.

Long story shortened, I wanted to send JennyJake a care package but since I don't drive getting the stuff and sending it by myself would be difficult, so I found a place online that had some cool care packages. I was all excited and figured I could pay for it with PayPal since it was a PayPal friendly site, but then I found out that I have to be a legal adult to use such services. Jen helped me and we were good to go, but it was an annoyance.

So, being old means you can vote and send care packages all by yourself to JennyJake.

CPLRapoza
07-06-03, 12:57 AM
Sometimes in the Marine Corps I had to call some Enlisted Marines Sir, Cause sometimes it's hard to make out there rank. so there was a little diddy we used to go by, When not sure, just say sir. Cause me personally I would rather get told not to call him sir, and he will tell me his true rank for next time, then calling a SSgt. Sgt. and getting my @$$ chewed to high heaven. So there are some exceptions to the rule.

mrbsox
07-06-03, 08:49 AM
22DP87, et al... just a thought

Perhaps, those (civillians) that you offer respect to don't see the RESPECT, because they DO NOT have it, themselves.

You go right ahead and do what you FEEL is right and correct. If you call me Sir.... I'll simply tell you "the respect is noted but not necessary, please call me............"

THAT IS IF I THINK YOU MEANT RESPECT. It goes both ways.

Ya'll hang in there. Do your reading, and do what you feel is correct. If it's wrong, I'm sure someone will correct you.... respectfully.

Terry

mrbsox
07-06-03, 08:59 AM
This is for Poolee's. If you Marines KNOW, let them dig for it. :banana:

Time for a Quiz :confused:

When can the Command ATTENTION be given to a formation, legally.

'Parade Rest'
'At Ease'
'Rest'

Name another time when a formation MAY be called to ATTENTION.

Let's see who's doing their HOMEWORK

jenrmurray
07-06-03, 03:05 PM
Lance Corporal,

According to the MCRDPI Drill Handbook, the POA can be called for when halted at any position of rest or while marching at route step or at ease.

Part 2:
Formations are expected to come to the POA when they are given the command to fall in. (?)

leroy8541
07-06-03, 03:55 PM
OOrah some one is paying attention, also you can be called to the position of attention while milling around inside when an officer comes on board or when colors goes you will bring your slouchy arse to the position of attention. this isn't in the Drill manual I think you can find it in the green monster under customs and courtesies.

MissWest
07-06-03, 05:39 PM
"There is a rank due to the United States among nations, which will be withheld, if not absolutely lost, by the reputation of weakness. If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure the peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known that we are at all times ready for war."
--George Washington

mrbsox
07-06-03, 09:55 PM
jenrmurray

Homework done... in spades :banana: This type of stuff was drilled into our Plt. during Boot Camp. We had a Jr. D.I. that was a nitpicker for the details.

What was the muzzle velocity of the M16A2,,,,

.....if the M16A2 weighs 6.5 lbs empty, and a loaded M16A2 weighs 8.2 lbs with 20 round magazine, the how much does a fully loaded magazine pouch with 20 round magazines weigh....... (I'm guessing at the weights)

Stuff like that he would throw at us, and we QUIT doing pushups when somebody got it right :marine:

QUOTE:
Part 2:
Formations are expected to come to the POA when they are given the command to fall in. (?)
I'm gonna throw this out for open discussion:
When given the Command "FALL OUT", you may break ranks and disperse, but must remain in the general area. IS THIS STILL CONSIDERED A FORMATION, until told to "FALL IN"

leroy8541:

"ATTENTION ON DECK" probably does fall under customs and courtesies (ours was a 'red' monster) but those do not consider "FORMATIONS".

G392339
07-06-03, 10:32 PM
This week is rather an anniversary for me, I earned my anchor
and globe some 62 years ago. It was rough in those days, but
like the rest of them we lived thru it and became a Marine for life
and am still proud to say I am a United States Marine, Semper Fi
Gene

firstsgtmike
07-06-03, 11:55 PM
G392339,

If my math is correct, you enlisted several months BEFORE Pearl Harbor.

Your post was in the Poolee Forum. I guess, like me, you're checking up to make sure the continuation of our Corps is in good hands.

I've been hanging around here for over a year, and from what I can see, our brothers can continue to Rest in Peace.

A thought just came to me!

How about each graduating recruit being given a medallion and a card? On one side of the medallion would be Old Glory, and the Marine Corps Colors, on the reverse would be the name of a Marine KIA. The card would give dates and an info blurb as to who, what, when and where.

And perhaps a message from "him".

As for the message, perhaps a Corps wide contest (veterans only) for the most appropriate one.

"Marine, when you've given all you've got to give, call on me, and I'll take over the rest of the way."

OR

"I left some unfinished business behind, with your help, we can finish it together."

OR

?????????
----------------

And to you Sir, I say Semper Fi.

jenrmurray
07-07-03, 12:29 AM
Lance Corporal,

My vote goes with no, you are not a formation once told to fall out, even if you must remain in the general area. Once given the command to fall out, you can do things that you are definitely not allowed to do in formation, like look around or talk. So therefore, I do not think you are still considered in formation.

I asked my husband (a Marine) if he thought there was a name for what you were after given the command to fall out. He said, with a laugh, "ya, 'on libo.'" :)

22DevilPup87
07-07-03, 01:11 AM
Lance Corporal,

My vote is the same as Jen's. I find the command fall out to be a break in formation. While you are to remain in the general area, I think that because you're allowed to speak, look around, and do as you wish you're no longer in formation.

First Sergeant,

I think that's a superb idea! I hope you take it to the powers that be, that possibly it can be initiated.

CPLRapoza
07-07-03, 02:14 AM
Yea it's called standing by, and you'll be doing plenty of it. hehe.

Since the Lance Coolee is racking your brain, I will to. Here's my question, What are the five purposes of Close Order Drill?

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-07-03, 08:04 PM
That answer is easy... but I have a feeling the reasons I have and the reasons you have aren't quite the same.

jenrmurray
07-07-03, 09:53 PM
Corporal Rapoza,
According to the MCRDPI Drill Guide (again), the five reasons Close Order Drill is utilized:

to instill confidence in the Junior Officers and of the Noncommissioned Officers through the exercise of command, when they give proper commands and control drilling troops.

to move troops from one place to another

to teach discipline by instilling habits of precision and automatic response to orders.

enhance morale by developing team spirit

allow individuals the chance to become comfortable handling their weapon.

Are you looking for a different answer?

mrbsox
07-07-03, 11:44 PM
WHEN, and from What Country, was Close Order Drill introduced to the American Troops???

This trivia sh!t is great :banana: :banana:

jen.... give somebody else a chance

push ups till you get it POOLEE's

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-08-03, 12:38 AM
I do believe that is the answer he was looking for Jen. And I am pretty sure that is the one that you need to know for all those lovely Marine of the Quarter and promotion boards as well. good job!

leroy8541
07-08-03, 07:02 AM
I am not sure, but when given "fall out" you will be given a location to fallout to. When the formation is broken you will be "dismissed". Been a long time I may be wrong.

jenrmurray
07-08-03, 07:59 AM
Echo Four, thank you!

MrBSox, this trivia stuff is fun! :)

CPLRapoza
07-08-03, 09:31 AM
There was one that you missed, the one for morale and team pirit I have never heard of but they might have changed it.

The other one I was looking for is:
To provide simple formations in which varies combat formations can be readily assumed.

BGMFH
07-08-03, 01:59 PM
MRSBox! This Poolee believes such driill was introduced from france!

mrbsox
07-08-03, 04:20 PM
One KEY trait that you may want to work on, is your powers of OBSERVATION. My WIFE is MRS bsox.

Now that that is out of the way.....

KEEP PUSHING :banana:

But your warm... it was introduced by a foreign Country. Somebody that wanted us to get away from Great Britan. Just because a one armed 'Frenchie' helped Mel Gibson out in "The Patriot" (great movie), they didn't do it. :lick:

This is when our Jr. D.I. would be running us from "SCHOOL CIRCLE REAR HATCH" to "SCHOOL CIRCLE QUARTER DECK" until somebody got the answer.

So, just fkn BEGIN

Terry

BGMFH
07-08-03, 04:25 PM
Sorry mrbsox!

Would it possibly be the Prussians sir?

Watchstander75
07-08-03, 06:22 PM
Revolutionary War, Germany, Von Stueben was the original Drill Instructor I believe

mrbsox
07-08-03, 09:37 PM
Ain't that just like a Sgt.... stealing the thunder :banana:

But, well done Watchstander75. The rest of you wannabe's need to get on the stick. Maybe that's why Sgt's RUN THE CORPS... they know more.

Is that in the Manual... naw.
Will it save your life one day... probably not
Will it make you a

SMARTER RECRUIT THAN THE OTHER DUFUS DOING PUSHUPS ???

Every edge you can get.... is an edge.

Don't stop at the basics. If you settle for AVERAGE, that's ALL you'll ever be.

Watchstander75
07-08-03, 10:57 PM
OoohRaah...thnx.....that one just popped in my gourd, which is full of bits and pieces of info. During the Revolution, a lot of set piece engagements went down in upstate/central NY, and Von Steuben has a county ( I think)and a few towns named after him, not too far from here.....

G392339
07-14-03, 09:41 AM
As I am new to this BB I have yet to learn, Yes I was in the reserves from 1938 to 41 and was called up and spent the next 5 years as a CofG. I have been back to P.I. several times and
each time I wonder how we all ever made it thru as the training
now seems to be everybit as tough as when I went thru. The last time I was there, being an Iwo vet I was given the honor of
assisting raising the colors at the Iwo Monuement at the parade
ground, it was quite nice and have pictures the MC sent me of it.
Semper Fi Gene

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-14-03, 01:42 PM
Gene, thank you for your service. You have been a major part in building the Marine Corps into what it is today. Without you, and those you served with the Marine Corps would be lost. We turn to the history and traditions that you helped to build on a regular basis. Thank you sir, for all that you have done for us.