PDA

View Full Version : workout

soonenough
02-20-06, 12:50 PM
In my wecome aboard packet thing, I got that little workout booklet. I started looking through it, I think I'm in horrible shape, and it still started me on "advanced", plus its only like two days a week. I want to push my self like hell, and I'd just run and work until i puked, but I have a feeling that isn't the safest route.

Anyway, my question here is, does anybody have any good workouts for five or six days a week, that are pretty intense? Even if theres a good book you would reccomend, I'll go pick it up. Thanks.

Ian.

Radiofantry
02-20-06, 12:53 PM
In my wecome aboard packet thing, I got that little workout booklet. I started looking through it, I think I'm in horrible shape, and it still started me on "advanced", plus its only like two days a week. I want to push my self like hell, and I'd just run and work until i puked, but I have a feeling that isn't the safest route.

Anyway, my question here is, does anybody have any good workouts for five or six days a week, that are pretty intense? Even if theres a good book you would reccomend, I'll go pick it up. Thanks.

Ian.

For your pullups, follow the armstrong pullup program, you can find it by doing a google search.

For the running look down on this page and smalcom posted a good running program that will get your speed and endurance up, you can adjust the distances if needed to accomodate to ability.

And for crunches you pretty much just want to do a lot of max effort sets of crunches or situps and get your abs strong. You'll find that abs are incredibly easy to build up.

Smalcom
02-20-06, 02:07 PM
true true.... abs are really easy.... all i do is 5 sets of 30 crunches each day.... when that gets easy start holding a 10lb weight when u do em.... when that gets even harder move up the amount you do... this works wonders

and my running routine is on the "hit a plateau" post

PS. ON THESE CRUNCHES MAKE SURE YOU ARE PRACTICING PROPER FORM....rather than speed

soonenough
02-20-06, 03:42 PM
Thanks to both of you.

HopefulGrunt2Be
02-20-06, 05:41 PM
just something i've found that helps your abs alot if you do back hyperextensions. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Hyperextensions+(Back+Extension s) ,.....heres what they are if you dont already know. the exercise works your abs as well as your lower back (which helps you with your crunches). If you dont have access to a gym, you can do what i do and have someone hold your legs and use the edge of a bed, kind of awkward, but works just as good.

Brooklyn
02-20-06, 06:21 PM
just something i've found that helps your abs alot if you do back hyperextensions. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Hyperextensions+(Back+Extension s) ,.....heres what they are if you dont already know. the exercise works your abs as well as your lower back (which helps you with your crunches). If you dont have access to a gym, you can do what i do and have someone hold your legs and use the edge of a bed, kind of awkward, but works just as good.

The link doesn't work, but I think I may know what this is.

I'll search it.

But I was just about to post to see if anyone had any ways of doing crunches without the help of someone holding your feet?

HopefulGrunt2Be
02-20-06, 08:24 PM
the way i do crunches is....start with your arms crossed over your chest, head about 2 inches from the ground and your legs crossed and feet 2 inches from the ground. raise your torso while at the same time bringing your knees to your head....kind of like you are trying to hit the top of your knees (where it is bent), with your nose. hold this position for a second, then go back to the start position and repeat, make sure your feet and head never touch the ground. if you do them right it BURNS. I have found this technique to work the best, and for the tests in boot camp someone is holding your feet.

Smalcom
02-20-06, 10:08 PM
no you dont have your feet in the air... its just like a situp with your hands on your chest... elbows to thighs

Brooklyn
02-20-06, 10:19 PM
No, I'm wondering if you all have any ideas of how I can do the situps without any help.

The Sandman
02-20-06, 10:29 PM
put them under the sofa? or anything else with a little weight? its just counter balancing. or if you want to kill yourself put your feet out at a 45 degree angle and bring them in to meet your elbows like a normal sit up.

Smalcom
02-20-06, 10:57 PM
i do mine under a sofa... it works... just nething weighted at all
it doent take much... ive done em with a blanket on my feet

soonenough
02-20-06, 11:33 PM
What I have that works pretty good is a pull-up bar I bought from a sporting goods store. Its one of the ones that you put in your doorway and you can take it down. Well anyway, it came with two mounts. One was to put up on top of the door frame for pullup/chinups, the other goes at the very bottom to hold your feet for situps, crunches, etc. It was only like 20 dollars and I'm definetely gettin my money out of it.

This is a link to it http://secure.gofit.net/view_product.php?product=222

Ian

HopefulGrunt2Be
02-21-06, 12:32 AM
no i was saying thats the way I do them, kind of like what Sandman mentioned... it works your abs ALOT... you can also lay at the bottom of some stairs and put ur feet up on like the 2nd or 3rd step, that burns too... i know thats not the way you do them for the tests, but its a good way to get ready for the test. PS feet under couch is the best way to go, or train ur dog to sit on ur feet without moving ;)