PDA

View Full Version : Marine combat videographer awarded for valor

thedrifter
02-20-06, 08:26 AM
Marine combat videographer awarded for valor
1st Marine Division
Story by:Sgt. Stephen M. DeBoard

CAMP AL ASAD, Iraq(Feb. 18, 2006) -- A Marine from Maryville, Tenn., was recognized here today for his life-saving actions during combat operations in Husaybah, Iraq, last November.

Cpl. Neill A. Sevelius, a 21-year-old combat videographer with Regimental Combat Team-2, received the Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal with Combat “V” for valor for aiding a wounded Marine while under fire.

The Combat “V” device is awarded specifically for heroic actions in combat.

Sevelius was attached to a Marine infantry company during Operation: Steel Curtain – the Marine and Iraqi Army-led, two-week offensive, in western Al Anbar Province to disrupt insurgent activity in several towns near the Syrian border.

As a combat videographer, Sevelius documents military operations on videotape – a job he’s done for the past 14 months in Iraq. The 2003 Maryville High School graduate has seen combat on several occasions, but on this particular day – he put the camera down to save another.

“It was probably one of the best missions I’ve been on,” said Sevelius, who recently redeployed for Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C., where he’s stationed. “We were getting shot at and kicking in doors. Everything was really intense.”

It was during the second day of operations Sevelius found himself with a squad of 2nd platoon Marines.

“We were on a roof, prepping a house with (40mm rounds from an M203) because it was all boarded up. The squad in front of us went up on the roof (of the target house),” recalled Sevelius.

The Marines had been receiving intermittent, inaccurate sniper fire all day long, Sevelius recounted. Because of this, the platoon commander, 1st Lt. Matthew C. Pierson, ordered his squad off the roof of the target house.

“As soon as he did that, we started hearing pops and whizzes,” Sevelius said, snapping his fingers to recreate the sound of enemy gunfire.

The dangerous rooftop was cleared of Marines, except for one Leatherneck.

“It was almost like slow motion. I thought, ‘What is he doing? He needs to get off the roof.’ Then he crumpled,” he said.

The Marine on the rooftop was shot in the leg from enemy fire.

The moment the Marine dropped to the ground, the entire 3rd squad fired their weapons to provide suppressive fire as Sevelius assisted the wounded Marine off the roof. Through it all, the Marines shouted words of encouragement to the wounded Marine: “You’ll be alright!”

Without a moment’s hesitation, Sevelius put down his camera and leapt to the adjoining rooftop to come to the aid of the fallen warrior. His quick actions are attributed to saving the Marine’s life.

“I didn’t see any bullet holes so I started feeling around for blood. I felt some dampness (on his upper thigh), so I picked up his leg a little bit,” he said.

Using trauma shears to expose the wound, Sevelius was relieved.

“It was basically a very deep grazing wound. I saw it and told (the Marine) that he was going to be fine, that he had nothing to worry about. I then basically applied pressure to the wound until the corpsman could take over,” he said.

After the ceremony, Sevelius downplayed his achievement.

“Marines do great stuff every day, I just happened to get noticed,” he said.

Ellie