PDA

View Full Version : Mos 21xx?

Brooklyn
02-15-06, 11:23 AM
So, I'm wanting to go 2111. Of course that means I'll go 21XX. I've been looking over the requirements for all the 21 MOSs and I'm wondering which ones I'm available for.

-I don't have normal color vision, so that eliminates two of them.
( 2171--Electro-Optical Ordnance Repairer and 2161--Machinist )

-Two of them say that the student must be Class III swim qualified. So, if I just do the regular swim qual. in boot will that also eliminate those, since MOSs aren't given out until after boot is completed? Or will the D.I.s make everyone Class III qual.?
( 2141--AAV Repairer/Technician and 2147--LAV Repairer/Technician )

-Two of them have "Chief" in their title so I'm guessing that eliminates me from those since I'll be a new guy with no experience? "Chief" doesn't sound like an entry level MOS to me.
( 2149--Ordnance Vehicle Maintenance Chief and 2181--Senior Ground Ordnance Weapons Chief )

So, that leaves me being eligible for three specific jobs in the 21 category if I'm figuring this right. If I'm not can someone correct where I may be wrong?

*edit*

Also, one of the others that I think I may be eligible for says: "Complete the MBT Intermediate Course at the grade of sergeant and have 24 months or more on active duty upon completion of the course".

So, either I'm eliminated from that MOS or I have to move ALLLL the way up to Sgt. within my first two years of service?

cjdoyle
02-15-06, 02:21 PM
1st if you need the swim qual you will get it unless you swim like a rock.
That being said from looking at the MOS manual without normal colored vision you can do 2111,2131,2141 w/ III swim,2147 w/ II swim,2148 w/ II swim

ASVAB scores and needs of the Marine Corps permiting

Brooklyn
02-15-06, 02:29 PM
Here's the thing, I want 2111. So, I don't even want to do Class III qual. That would just lower my chances of getting 2111. What I'm wondering is, will the D.I.s make everyone do the Class III qual.? If not, then I certainly won't volunteer for it, and that should close the door on the MOSs that require the Class III qual. right?

My ASVAB line scores are all high enough for the MOSs in question, btw.

cjdoyle
02-15-06, 02:38 PM
Yes to have those MOS' you need class III swim. But that is not really all that hard

Brooklyn
02-15-06, 02:42 PM
You're misunderstanding my question.

I don't want those MOSs. I don't want the Class III qual.

I want 2111.

I'm asking will the D.I.s make me take the Class III qual.? Or is it a choice each individual recruit has to make?

I'm asking because if they don't make me take the Class III, I won't volunteer, thus increasing my chances of getting 2111.

Hopefully that's more clear then my previous posts.

cjdoyle
02-15-06, 02:47 PM
OH ...shoot...sorry i was reading in between doing work
I got you no you usually wont have to but depending on time they may have every one try who had no problems with IV that is what they did to my lil brothers and two or the boots i just talked to here at work.

Brooklyn
02-15-06, 02:54 PM
Damn, and I know I wouldn't dare be the recruit to say "No thanks, I'll sit this one out."

Well, hopefully we won't have any extra time.

Thanks.