PDA

View Full Version : Challenge coin?

Radiofantry
02-14-06, 09:50 PM
Hello,

Sometimes when I read a thread about Camp Twenty-nine Palms(Where my MOS School is going to be) I see someone tell whoever is asking for info to remember to get their "challenge coin".

Can someone please tell me what exactly a "challenge coin" is and why I need to make sure to get one?

Thanks!

Brooklyn
02-14-06, 10:13 PM
From a quick googling looks like it mean a couple things.

Popular to bring along with you to the bar - the "loser" that doesn't have their coin with them buys drinks!

from: http://www.soldiercity.com/product-exec/product_id/2943/affiliate_id/1280/keyword/2943

Never again be caught short! Next time one of your buddies tries to get you on a challenge, WHIP this baby out and save yourself the pushups or whatever other torture you've agreed to!

And then there's the history of the coin here:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/intro/coin.htm

Challenge coin rules only apply to other individuals who also have a challenge coin. A holder of a challenge coin may "challenge" any individual who is known to have a coin. A challenge is made by withdrawing a coin and raising it in the air or by tapping it on a bar or table. The individual who is challenged is required to produce their coin within 60 seconds. If the individual produces the coin, the challenger is obligated to buy them a drink. If the challenged individual fails to produce the coin, they are obligated to buy the drink. The reward does NOT have to be an alcoholic beverage. It can be a soda or any other reward that the two individuals agree on.

Radiofantry
02-14-06, 10:24 PM
Awesome!

I wonder if I'm supposed to get a specific one that says "Camp 29 Palms" on it or what?

I guess I'll leave that as a mystery until I actually get through Boot, haha!

jinelson
02-14-06, 11:30 PM
If your going to MCRD San Diego your parents will be able to buy your Recruit Training Battalion coin on family day while your doing the moto run, also the Weapons & Field Training Battalion and MCMAP coin. They are $5 bucks each. My guess is its probably the same at Parris Island as well. Brooklyn did a good job explaining what they are. Here are some pics of some of mine;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/challengecoins001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/challengecoins002.jpg

outlaw3179
02-14-06, 11:46 PM
Brooklyn did a hell of a job explaining what they are and how to use them . Just from my own personal experience...8 years in ...never used one or got called out at the bar.

VaMarine
02-15-06, 08:39 AM
I have only had one used and we won big time.. 2 things..

We stood up the New Battalion from 1st Intel Company/ 1st SRIG to 1st Intel BN.. So we all got our "Plankholder" coins when that was done.. Everyone that was there got a silver coin with the new logo on the front old logo on the back and each coin is number.. 225 total (they swelled the company before actually officially standing us up)

Marine Corps Ball we were standing at the bar and one of the guys thought it would be funny to tap it with the SgtMaj, the CO and XO standing there... none of them had theirs on them soo they bought the next couple of rounds.. The issue is as a plankholder or as it was explained to us.. If all pull and produce the coins.. who ever has the highest number coin buys everyone a round... We knew the CO, and SgtMaj had 1 and 2 while the XO we believed had 4 (CO driver had 3). So we would had to buy them drinks had they produced.. but it was a good time either way.

Rdy2gopoolie
02-16-06, 06:46 PM
In NJROTC, our MSGT. always would have his and if we had or got one and he challenged us we would have to do push ups or afterschool get a drink of soda or something. :D He bought me soda once:P

awb5711
02-22-06, 06:51 PM
Good story about a challenge coin. I've carried one since MOS school and only used it once...but it worked out. Back in Nov I was TAD to Maryland for a week. About the second night there I was down in the hotel bar tossing back a few beers and watching football. Behind me was a table full of really loud Squids. I'm sitting there for awhile just sort of overhearing their BS when this one Seaman pulls out his coin and slaps it on the table. No one else at the table has one so I slide my chair over next to this Chief and ask if I can join them. He says "Sure Marine...have a seat." As soon as I pulled my chair up I slapped my coin on the table to a rousing cheer from the all the other squids. Needless to say Seaman "Schmuckatelli" bought quite a few rounds for us that night!!!!

UsmcdevilMP
05-14-07, 03:30 PM
Just adding a correction, its not Camp 29 Palms. It is a Marine Air Ground Combat Center-MCAGCC 29 Palms.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-14-07, 04:19 PM
Just adding a correction, its not Camp 29 Palms. It is a Marine Air Ground Combat Center-MCAGCC 29 Palms.

You left the "C" out of the name. Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center

Marine84
05-14-07, 05:41 PM

or 29 STUMPS!

Soon2BeVIP
05-14-07, 05:47 PM
Oh my new recruiter has 20-ish of those on his desk and I was wondering what they were, but I figured it would be a dumb question so I never asked.

rktect3j
05-14-07, 06:42 PM
I've got three. The only one I ever used was my 4th Marines from Camp Schwab. We only used it for pushups, not drinks though. I did buy my dad a coin from MCAS El Toro. That was where he was stationed when he was active. HE carries it with him everywhere and has a few times called me out with it. He outranks me time in grade so there isn't anything I can really do except push.

1stRad2671
05-14-07, 06:51 PM
I've got seven, just one Marine Corps one, but it's a good one.:D

Never used any of them.

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Esgtvfr/coins.jpg

UsmcdevilMP
05-14-07, 07:10 PM
You left the "C" out of the name. Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center

That I did. Thanks for the correction.