PDA

View Full Version : Something Cool I Found Out for Reservists - (Naval Militia)

Radiofantry
02-14-06, 12:42 AM
Okay, I'm not sure how many of us this will actually apply to, but I figured I would share it with the group anyway because this is the first I've heard of it.

This only applies for people in Alaska and New York as far as I can tell, possibly New Jersey, but the Ohio Naval Militia is completely different.

Anyway, apparently how the Naval Militia works is that if you're already a Navy or Marine Corps reservist you just volunteer to join up with the Naval Militia and you can then be called up by the Governor as well to serve in state if it's necessary.

Now, here's where it gets cool. In Alaska, and I assume New York, you also qualify for the same educational benefits that the guys in the Air Guard and Army Guard do, which is currently sitting at 100% tuition assistance up to 15 credits a semester.

Anyway, I know that no one joins the Marines for the benefits, but I literally just kind of stumbled across this, and if it can help anyone else out that would be cool. I know there's a lot of guys here who are doing the reserves until they get their degree at which point they're going to try and go Officer, so it seems like this would be a good alternative to ROTC for people who don't have NROTC available at their school.

Again, this only applies to people in Alaska and New York, and I hope that it might help someone!