PDA

View Full Version : Question about reserves

hazmat21
02-07-06, 09:35 AM
Hello everyone,

Currently im in the DEP in arizona. Currently im scheduled to ship out in may. When i complete boot camp and return to arizona will i be able to move back to montana? Currently im finishing school, my recuriter suggested the 92 day program... any info would be great.
Thanks

Radiofantry
02-07-06, 11:15 AM
Okay, I was originally going to be on the 92 day program, so let me ask a couple questions because your post is pretty unclear.

You're currently in the DEP in Arizona. Did you enlist in Arizona with a recruiter there to go into a reserve unit there?

Why would you be going to Montana? Is that where you go to college?

I was originally going to be doing the 92 day program, but then I found out that my reserve unit is one that gets deployed... a lot. So I decided that I'd do a little personal sacrificing and skip a semester of college so that I could do all my training at once, that way I wouldn't be a half-trained Marine, being mostly useless to my unit. I never could have lived with my unit getting deployed while I stayed home because I wasn't finished training.

But, if you can't do that at your school, the 92 day program is pretty useful.

Zippo
02-07-06, 01:57 PM
mkocher, my recruiter told me they cant activate you until you've finished your training that 2nd summer. i was originally on the 92 program as well. (lol i went from 92 day, to regular reserves, now i've decided to go active. funny how that happened.)

Radiofantry
02-07-06, 02:36 PM
Yeah, that's what I was saying. You'd end up staying home while the rest of your unit was overseas. I don't think I'd be able to handle that, knowing that my unit was overthere in danger and I was safe at home. That's why I decided to just do all my training at once.

Zippo
02-07-06, 04:02 PM
oh ok. somehow or another i managed that miss the part where you said that.

hazmat21
02-08-06, 09:15 AM
Yes i did join in arizona, with a recuriter from here. I'm from montana and i am in AZ to finish out this year of school. I want to do the reserves out of montana because thats where im from and still a resident there. I plan on not starting school until the spring semester because i would also like to just complete all the training at once. So i was wondering if i would be able to move after boot? My recruiter said that he was "told" i could, and the ncoic also said he was "told" that i could too. But i was just wanted some other input.thanks

Radiofantry
02-08-06, 09:21 AM
My suggestion would be getting in touch with someone from a Montana recruiting office as soon as you can. Because AFAIK you can't switch reserve units for 1 year after you join, after that you're free to switch if you can get permission from both unit commanders. This might be outdated information, so I'd definately get in touch with a Montana recruiter and find out for sure.

Rdy2gopoolie
02-08-06, 11:59 AM
What is afaik?

Radiofantry
02-08-06, 01:25 PM
As
Far
As
I
Know

Rdy2gopoolie
02-08-06, 10:45 PM