PDA

View Full Version : do they do anything "special" for birthdays?

Zippo
02-06-06, 05:13 PM
if a DI finds out its your birthday, does anything happen?
i'm going to try to get my platoon to sing happy birthday to me.

Radiofantry
02-06-06, 05:41 PM
I was wondering about that. I wonder if they do anything special on 4th of July as well. Probably have to do 1776 pushups! Haha!

Rdy2gopoolie
02-06-06, 05:45 PM
Hehe. That would suck! What about the Marine Corp bday?

Radiofantry
02-06-06, 05:59 PM
I'll be in 29 Palms doing my MOS school for the B-Day, so I don't have to worry about that one! Hah!

Rdy2gopoolie
02-06-06, 06:30 PM
i might be there. also for my bday too which is the 17th of nov. :D i ship 20060807 so it will be close. :P

Radiofantry
02-06-06, 06:43 PM
You might be in 29 Palms? Cool. We'll have to hang out if you are!

Rdy2gopoolie
02-06-06, 06:45 PM
hehe sorry i meant i might be in boot during this years Marine Corp bday and my bday. we'll see.

Radiofantry
02-06-06, 06:47 PM
OHHH yah. Keep your b-day and secret and hope Mom doesn't send any birthday cards with hearts everyhwere, hehe

Rdy2gopoolie
02-06-06, 06:50 PM
Haha yea. She already told me she is going to TRY and get me in trouble. lol lucky me. :D

Old Marine
02-06-06, 06:53 PM
Once you get the EGA your only Birthday is on 10 November and don't you forget it.

Zippo
02-06-06, 06:57 PM
hahaha i was just jokin. but really it would be funny sh*t to ask

Rdy2gopoolie
02-06-06, 06:58 PM
Yes, sir!!!

outlaw3179
02-06-06, 07:03 PM

WTF?

Why would you want a bunch of guys singing happy birthday to you ? That makes no sense. Is it cuz you just like that kind of stuff? Cuz your trying to be cute? Or is it cuz you think youll just be a hardass and try to get punished for having other recruits sing to you? Zippo.. on the depot on the Island or in Hollywood there are much worse things that can happen to you than just getting IT'd. If a DI finds out its your bday they might mess with you a little bit. But theyre not there to fulfill your fantasies. Drill Instructors are there to make you a Marine not to play conductor to the platoon choir. Poolee you better know exactly what your getting into before you go to boot camp. Cuz one day your going to have rounds coming at you. Then and there is not going to be the place that you decide that the Marines are not for you . Think long and hard about what your decision to become a Marine entails. Not only your life depends on it , but also the lives of your fireteam and every other Marine around you .

Zippo
02-06-06, 07:07 PM
wow.. man. you just took that entirely too seriously. it was meant as a joke.

CrazyBrave83
02-06-06, 07:56 PM
Boot is serious stuff. Trust me you don't want ANYONE knowing it's your birthday. I turned 20 down there, and I only let one other recruit know...at 1930 the NIGHT of my birthday. I would not want to see the 'gift' my Drill Instructors would have presented me.

Rdy2gopoolie
02-06-06, 09:00 PM
Hehe yea i think im with you.

LittleDevilDog
02-10-06, 04:02 PM

Make sure you absorbed what he said. If not concerened about your own life, atleast understand you'll be responsible for your squad mates as well...

Take what he said in, and take it very seriously..

Zippo
02-10-06, 05:12 PM
how do you relate making a joke about getting a a$$ kicking in boot camp to the lives of myself and fellow Marines? if you think Marines dont like to joke around then i guarantee you dont know any.
if you would reread my posts instead of focusing on the misdirected replies of others, i would take you alot more seriously. and frankly, i'm a little tired of hearing your wisdom. especially since WHAT you say makes sense, you just apply it in all the wrong places.

Static_Sky25
02-11-06, 01:41 AM
I got to lay real flat on the top rack in bootcamp on july fourth and try and see the fireworks over the water in SD nothin special though, wake up eat train eat, headcall, train, classes, eat, BDR, mailcall, Racktime

Zippo as far as you mouthing off to a Marine.. that's an issue between you and the Marines on the Page but as someone who's been through a piece of what they have I do not approve and expected better of you... Next time choose your words more carefully

MKinney
02-11-06, 10:45 AM
My birthday is going to be a little over a month after I get to PI. I'll be keeping it on the "down-low" though.

Zippo
02-11-06, 11:13 AM
:marine:
Zippo as far as you mouthing off to a Marine.. I do not approve and expected better of you... Next time choose your words more carefully

i was not talking to a Marine i was talking to littledevildog

Patrick8605
02-11-06, 11:23 AM
Zippo, take what I'm about to say not as an ass chewing, but a lesson needing to be learned.

You are not a Marine, I don't care who you know that is or how "buddy buddy" you may be with your recuriuter or who ever. You were wrong for even thinking of saying "man" to a Sergeant of Marines. Give the respect that is due to the Marines on this forum.

Static_Sky25
02-11-06, 11:55 AM

Joe

Radiofantry
02-11-06, 12:00 PM
Zippo, take what I'm about to say not as an ass chewing, but a lesson needing to be learned.

You are not a Marine, I don't care who you know that is or how "buddy buddy" you may be with your recuriuter or who ever. You were wrong for even thinking of saying "man" to a Sergeant of Marines. Give the respect that is due to the Marines on this forum.

And while you're 100% right about that, it's not LittleDevilDog's place to be jumping all over him all the time. I think that y'all who actually are Marines do a good enough job of that ;)

Point is, Zippo was wrong to call the Sgt "man" and at the same time, I think people should stop taking Zippo so seriously. It's pretty obvious that a lot of what he's saying is just kidding around.

I mean, honestly, who in their wildest dreams would try to get their platoon to sing happy birthday to them? It was pretty obvious that was a joke.

Zippo
02-11-06, 12:33 PM
And while you're 100% right about that, it's not LittleDevilDog's place to be jumping all over him all the time. I think that y'all who actually are Marines do a good enough job of that ;)

Point is, Zippo was wrong to call the Sgt "man" and at the same time, I think people should stop taking Zippo so seriously. It's pretty obvious that a lot of what he's saying is just kidding around.

I mean, honestly, who in their wildest dreams would try to get their platoon to sing happy birthday to them? It was pretty obvious that was a joke.

Thank you. Thank you, and thank you.
Finally someone is on the same page.

CrazyBrave83
02-11-06, 01:12 PM
I understand, I don't think it was made with poor intent, but you have to understand that once you've been to boot camp you gain a different respect for it than from where you're sitting.

Trust me on that one.

Radiofantry
02-11-06, 01:15 PM
I understand, I don't think it was made with poor intent, but you have to understand that once you've been to boot camp you gain a different respect for it than from where you're sitting.

Trust me on that one.

I'm absolutely sure that you're right about that. I think that sometimes people forget how different the perspective is before you go, and then jump all over people for little slipups. And it's important that we do get corrected when we make errors, like referring to a Sgt as "man", and things like that, but I think that there is also room for a little levity before we go, y'know?

We're going to have 13 weeks of dead seriousness, where's the harm in making a few jokes before we leave?

CrazyBrave83
02-11-06, 01:26 PM
I'm absolutely sure that you're right about that. I think that sometimes people forget how different the perspective is before you go, and then jump all over people for little slipups. And it's important that we do get corrected when we make errors, like referring to a Sgt as "man", and things like that, but I think that there is also room for a little levity before we go, y'know?

We're going to have 13 weeks of dead seriousness, where's the harm in making a few jokes before we leave?

Once again, you make a valid claim...but you're hear as a Poolee around Marines, so the gravity of the situation is very different. Just as a Drill Instructor, these Marines are here to guide you down the path. Not that it can't be one with humor, but then again it's their house, we're only visiting.

Radiofantry
02-11-06, 01:28 PM
but then again it's their house, we're only visiting.

Excellent point and I hadn't really thought about it that way before. Happens a lot on the internet, I suppose, you forget who really runs things, and where they are.

I'll keep that in mind with my postings.

Zippo
02-11-06, 02:45 PM
agreed, point taken as well.
but you also have to consider that this is an internet forum, where people cannot distinguish a tone in conversation.. so things are being misinterpreted alot.

Static_Sky25
02-11-06, 03:08 PM

Trust me on that one.

Not just Boot and the Marines looks different, the world takes on a diff. look
Once ya'll get there you'll understand. but for now keep playin your games you'll pay the price later.

Static_Sky25
02-11-06, 03:16 PM
agreed, point taken as well.
but you also have to consider that this is an internet forum, where people cannot distinguish a tone in conversation.. so things are being misinterpreted alot.

A certain Marine on this site (troop901) told me along time ago... If someone can misinterpret it, it will be misinterpreted.

the plain and simple LAW of this site is "Sh*t rolls down hill" Poolees/wanna-bes are at the bottom. who do you think is conna catch 95% of the pile?

It's not hard to get your attitude in check and while this is an internet forum. it was set up for use by Marines... Poolees were added as an after thought. The Men and Women you run across on a daily basis (Marines) have already been through the crap your going through plus more.

Humor / levity are very useful for getting through what your building up for. Not everyone has the same sence of humor. So what you find Hilarious another may find disrespectful. Keep that in mind.

CrazyBrave83 Has alot of good advice, he's been to boot and sent home again. He's still busting his A$$ to get back in... That's one he*l of a moto recruit, you poolees could learn quite a bit from him as to how your attitude SHOULD look

CrazyBrave83
02-11-06, 03:30 PM
Not just Boot and the Marines looks different, the world takes on a diff. look
Once ya'll get there you'll understand. but for now keep playin your games you'll pay the price later.

Oh I know, I've been. Don't bunch me in with anyone else here, I was just making a point to the poolees. :)

Future-USMC-LT
02-11-06, 03:36 PM
Maybe they'll throw you a disco party.

Static_Sky25
02-11-06, 04:25 PM
Oh I know, I've been. Don't bunch me in with anyone else here, I was just making a point to the poolees. :)

wasn't directed at you man, I know you know how things are...

CrazyBrave83
02-11-06, 04:40 PM
wasn't directed at you man, I know you know how things are...

Thanks bro, appreciated. Maybe I should've read your other post. You getting back in at all?:banana:

Static_Sky25
02-11-06, 04:43 PM
what MOS you goin for maybe we could set up some kinda 2 for one deal with uncle sam LOL

CrazyBrave83
02-11-06, 05:41 PM
0300, with hopes of going 8541 if I was to qual.

Zippo
02-11-06, 08:55 PM
Maybe they'll throw you a disco party.

YES. STUDIO 54 HERE I COME

Static_Sky25
02-11-06, 11:26 PM
you'll be the guest of honor bud, I hear those partys can go for a while too :D

Zippo
02-12-06, 09:28 AM
hahaha! i'm scared.

miguelito
02-12-06, 03:56 PM
Your best bet is to just let your Drill Instructor know first-hand when your birthday is. "This recruit reports it's his birthday today Sir!" I'm sure you will get plenty of gifts.

Zippo
02-12-06, 04:23 PM
hahaha, sweet. :)

scopekill27
02-12-06, 06:51 PM
I would love to be in the room for your B-Day party...................

Any Top Hat would love to hear that from a recruit, they look forward to stuff like that. :D

We had a recruit at basic that mentioned his Girlfriends B- Day, Top Hat told that recruit if he heard one more thing about a B-Day he would personally stick him in a seabag and throw him in the other recruits dirty pile of scivee's, socks and PT outfits for the rest of the day!!!:D :D

I miss boot camp......................................

yellowwing
02-14-06, 09:55 PM
if a DI finds out its your birthday, does anything happen?
I caught his jest right away.

Hey, that's a fine idea. Just usurp the Drill Instructors control and management and get 75 scared momma's boys to sing you Happy Birthday :banana:

I swear you Poolees are funy as hell!

Rdy2gopoolie
02-16-06, 06:49 PM
Hehe we try!! :D