PDA

View Full Version : Code of the hero

thedrifter
01-29-06, 08:16 AM
January 29, 2006
Code of the hero

By ANSLEE WILLETT - THE GAZETTE

Allen Dale June isn’t much of a talker these days, a stark contrast to his time during World War II.

As a Navajo code talker for the Marines, he translated military radio communications into his native, unwritten language — a code the Japanese were unable to break.

June, who lives in Longmont, is one of two surviving Navajo code talkers from the original group of 29 men, his family said.

The 85-year-old was recognized Saturday night by the American Legion of Colorado during its annual conference in Colorado Springs.

“He’s a real World War II hero,” said Pat Smith, an administrator of the American Legion.

In 2001, when five of the original 29 remained, President Bush awarded June and the other four men the Congressional Gold Medal.

The original 29 men created the code, developing a dictionary for numerous military words. For example, the Navajo name for whale was used for battleship; hummingbirds signified fighter planes.

The code kept the Japanese in the dark about the military’s troop movements and tactics in the Pacific.

The 2002 movie “Windtalkers,” starring Nicolas Cage, tells the story of Marines assigned to protect Navajo code talkers during World War II.

June, who served in the war from 1942 to 1945, prefers not to talk about that time of his life, said his 68-year-old wife, Virginia.

“Early on, he always told me, ‘My father told me I should never expose myself, never brag,’” she said.

When their son, now 30, was in elementary school, June fussed at the boy for telling his classmates that his father was a code talker.

“He’s just naturally quiet,” Virginia said of her husband of 33 years.

June and Virginia still speak to each other in Navajo, one of the most complex languages, with no alphabet or symbols.

She carries businesslike cards in her pocket that have a photograph of her husband as a Marine. The cards read: Navajo Code Talker, Sgt. Allen Dale June.”

June, known to his family as “Pops,” has signed the back of each card.

It’s not uncommon for people to ask for his autograph.

“People have tears come to their eyes when they shake Pops’ hand,” his wife said.

CONTACT THE WRITER: 636-0366 or

anslee.willett@gazette.com

Ellie