PDA

View Full Version : Question about Graduation

PooleeFritz43
01-21-06, 03:21 PM
When I graduate from Boot this coming Sept. my older brother from the Army is coming back to the States to see me graduate because he had to graduate from boot without someone being there and he doesnt want me to do the same. I have a few questions on this matter. If I graduate on the first of Sept. then when would be the best day for him to show up? Would I be able to fly home on a civilian plane with him? Is there a limit to how many people you can have come to your graduation because i have about three friends that wanna come with my brother but I want to make sure they are aloud to come before i make any promises. I know my planning is early but my recruiter always taught me that to be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, and to be late is to be dead. Trust me I am going to graduate.

It's God's job to forgive Bin Laden, but its a Marine's job to arrange the meeting!:marine:

1039C
01-21-06, 06:49 PM
Taken directly from MCRDSD.USMC.MIL...

Q: What is the schedule for Family Day and Graduation?
A: The Family Day/Emblem ceremony begins at 11:30 a.m. on Thursday and lasts approximately 30 minutes. Graduation begins at 10 a.m. on Friday and lasts approximately 75 minutes. Both ceremonies are held at the Shepherd Field Parade Deck.
Due to security measures, the depot is only open to visitors on Thursdays and Fridays during graduation week. While anyone is able to attend, the only organized functions are those within the graduation program.

Q: Who can attend recruit graduation and family day and is there a limit to the number of people who can attend?
A: Anyone, not just the immediate family of a recruit, can attend recruit graduation and family day. There is also no limit to the number of people who can attend either.

Q: Once the recruit graduation ceremony is over, can the new Marines leave MCRD San Diego?
A: Immediately following the conclusion of the Graduation Ceremony, new Marines are free to leave MCRD San Diego and begin their 10 days of leave. After that 10 days, Marines report to Camp Pendleton, Calif. for follow-on training. Marines who enlisted into the Infantry will attend the School of Infantry West (http://www.pendleton.usmc.mil/schools/soi/index.htm). All other Marines will attend Marine Combat Training (http://www.pendleton.usmc.mil/schools/soi/mct.htm). Upon completion of Marine Combat Training, Marines will proceed onto their military occupational school.
(In other words, yes you will be able to fly home with him, just make sure you book the same flight when you go to SATO, unless he's going to get the ticket for you.)

I hope that answered all of your questions.

PooleeFritz43
01-22-06, 09:39 PM
Hey, Thanks alot for the info. That answered like all of my questions. It's good to know that in the Marines the guys that are already done with boot dont look down on us poolees, its good to know that there are guys there to help us get info on stuff. I had another question which im pretty sure ur post answered but if my friends went on a road trip to California and picked me up would i have to go directly home or would i be able to go somewhere but be home in time to be flown back to Camp Pendleton? If u dont understand what i am asking i can try to give u a more clear question.

Thanks for your help,
Poolee Jeremiah Fritz

1039C
01-22-06, 09:47 PM
Your 10 days of leave are all yours. Do anything you want, just keep out of trouble...

drillinstructor
01-26-06, 07:27 PM
1039C gave you some good info. Another bit of info is that the moto run starts aroun 0900 and that is something neat for the families. Directly following the moto run the families are hurded into the theatre while the recruits are showering and putting on their charlies. They get a brief and statistics of what their recruit has done for the last three months (slide show). The moral of this is to show up early on Thursday and not just for the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor Ceremony.

DI

PooleeFritz43
01-30-06, 05:32 PM
Thanks DI! So they should show up the day before i graduate? Also what boot camp do u work at and what are the chances that u will be one of my DI's?

Zippo
01-30-06, 06:12 PM
aren't they called a Marine at that point? or is that after the EGA Ceremony?

Rdy2gopoolie
01-30-06, 06:24 PM
i would assume not until you get the EGA in your hand. just an assumption tho.

VaMarine
01-31-06, 07:23 AM
Zippo thats what you get for thinking again..

You are not a Marine till you have been handed that Eagle Globe and Anchor and the Drill Instructor says Congratulations Marine.. Other then that your still a nasty slime ball..

Old Marine
01-31-06, 08:23 AM
Fritz43:

If you brother is in the Army, he did not graduate from Boot Camp. The Army has a little program called "Basic Training." Once you have graduated from either of the Marine Corps Boot Camps and if you complete your tour in the Corps then want to enlist into one of our other services you do not have to participate in their basic training program.(That was how it was back in my day)

VaMarine
01-31-06, 08:33 AM
Same way today OldMarine.. But they all have to come through our beloved Boot Camp..

Zippo
01-31-06, 10:24 AM
Zippo thats what you get for thinking again..

You are not a Marine till you have been handed that Eagle Globe and Anchor and the Drill Instructor says Congratulations Marine.. Other then that your still a nasty slime ball..

Why, thank you, sir.