PDA

View Full Version : I want to be recon

amorellj
01-17-06, 06:22 PM
if i want to be in force recon, is there anythin specific that i have to do?? is there anyone that was in recon that could help me with anythin??

Phantom Blooper
01-17-06, 07:12 PM
Never been in recon. But the answers that you are seeking is in the "Poolee Hall of Fame" or the "Mentor" threads on none other than www.leatherneck.com

Read the posts if you have to start at the beginning or put a search in for recon. Being a grunt I do know that the # 1 key to reconnaissance is to search for the enemy and engage only when you need too.So it looks like you have your work cut out.:banana: Good Luck!

Semper-Fi!"Never Forget" Chuck Hall :evilgrin:

Smalcom
01-17-06, 09:54 PM
Even though im just a wannabe, i have done extensive research on recon and recon training, first of all after graduating boot and goin to SOI u will be given the opportunity to volunteer for the recon indoc which is a 48 hour evolution. It involves mostly swimming LOTS AND LOTS OF SWIMMING mainly a 30 minute tread with diggies and boots, and a 500 meter swim with diggies and boots. Now this is just the indoc just to get into the BRC (basic reconnaissaince course) however they may not even accept you if they think you aren't smart enough, another thing you'll need is a 275 pft score at least.

so i recommend LOTS AND LOTS OF SWIMMING all the time, and running to build endurance for those 10 mile 2 hour ruck runs that are required. during the BRC it isnt uncommon for multiple stress fractures and tendonitis, so runnin a lot now will build up your resistance to that. by the end of BRC you will be doing mile ocean swims and treading for more than an hour in the ocean.

Im only 16 and i'm already swimming 4-5 times a week just to prep. myself for what lays ahead. the point im trying to get across is SWIMMMMM SWIMMMMM.

GOOD LUCK!!! hope you make it someday (0321 ALL THE WAY)

JoeSzynal
01-17-06, 10:22 PM
Smalcom good stuff but let me add a few things if you will. I'm speaking about SOI at Camp Pendleton here in cali, not Camp Geiger in NC, so maybe i'll end up being 1/2 correct here.

First of all, if you meet the requirements with your GT and PFT scores, you're pretty much told to get on the bus and take the indoc. I don't remember a whole lot of "volunteering" going on.

For us, it wasn't a 48 hour evo. It was a couple hours of intense swim followed by a PFT. You do a 30 minute tread, deep dive for a rifle (then hold over head with two hands), 50 meter underwater swim, turn your blouse into flotation device, jump off high platform, then the 500 swim. Smalcom you got that part pretty much right except for the boots. We never wore boots during the indoc.

We had about thirty guys start, after the swim events we had about ten. Then you go take the PFT which feels nothing like any other PFT you'll take becuase you are absolutely spent after all the swimming. You're numbers will be way low but that's normal and they know this.

After you finish up with the run, the recon sgt.'s and staff NCO's have a little pow-wow and they'll pick a couple guys right there on the spot. At that point you can accept or deny the invite. If you accept, the fun starts after SOI for you.

Like Smalcom said, all this is just to get to BRC which is a program so intense i don't even like to think about it. Out of our group of ten, four were selected, three accepted. God knows what the hell they're doing right now, probably low crawling around a gravel track somewhere.

After BRC, you're in Batalion Recon, assuming you complete the program. The best of the best try out for Force Recon.

Good luck with it. Nothing but respect for those guys.
Joe

Neocon Gone Marine (http://neocongonemarine.blogspot.com)

yellowwing
01-18-06, 12:19 AM
Even after Basic Training, Recon Training selection sounds like another test of, "Is there any QUIT left in your nasty body?"

I took the Marine Corps' Water Safety Survival Instructor training. Even in a Air Wing training setting, they pushed us hard to the point of drowning!

And then the MutherFruckers watched how we handled actual drowning!

Drowning is a nightmare come true. Every physical mote of your body is just screaming "Get some air!". To the point that the body is just uselessly flailing around and is just sinking.

Panic is the killer. When I was drowning, I did not think about God, Country or Corps. I was panicked to breathe just once more before I died.

It was THE HARDEST thing I have yet to do in my life to Settle Down, Relax, Get the Rhythm, and Breath Again.

Smalcom
01-18-06, 04:42 PM
Im almost positive you can enlist as an 0321 and be guarnteed a chance at the indoc, thats what ive been told.

outlaw3179
01-18-06, 09:27 PM
You should concentrate on earning the title of Marine first.

NYcityborn
01-18-06, 09:40 PM
if i want to be in force recon, is there anythin specific that i have to do?? is there anyone that was in recon that could help me with anythin??I also needed information on Force Recon,because I still trying to find a few things out,like there missions,and I also want to find more information about Marine corps special operations command.

KJonesP8ntball
01-18-06, 10:31 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but if Force Recon is apart of Special Forces don't you have to be at least 20 years of age now?

Accord
01-19-06, 12:46 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but if Force Recon is apart of Special Forces don't you have to be at least 20 years of age now?

Force Recon is not a part of Special Forces.

Special Forces is exclusive to the army and and no one else. The other "special" units such as SEALs, PJ's, Combat Controllers, among others all fall under SOCOM and are considered Special Operations, different from army Special Forces. The new MarSOC Det1 or whatever it's called will fall under SOCOM.

Force and BN Recon are both part of and controlled entirely by the Marine Corps and no one else, therefore while their missions and capabilities may be similar to army SF and some other upper echelon units Special Ops units, they're not Special Forces and they're not Special Operations, they're MARINES.

Smalcom
01-19-06, 04:41 PM
Mar Det 1, and MarSOC, and Seals, Pjs, green berets, delta force.... are under SOCOM (special operations command)

special forces are green berets... thats an army thing and actually i think Rangers are somewhat controlled by SOCOM now too

Battallion Recon in Iraq is used just like any other ground force, they even use humvees now, they were first in Iraq.

Force recon.... it in the name recon bttn. and FR both mainly are used for reconnaisance however they can be used for many other things that special operations can be used for.

I think that Mar Det 1 and MARSOC, are recruited from all over, its good to have knowledge of linguistics, but ive heard that most arent recruited from FR.

Tallboot
01-20-06, 06:51 AM
The Marine Corps did agree to a Special Forces, the complaint was that Marines are already elite and do not need it, But i will have to back up my information, because i only read it in a magazine if thats even reliable.

Tallboot
01-20-06, 06:57 AM
Excuse me, sorry i made a mistake ... The Marine Corps joined the Special ops, The link below has information on the Marine Corps Special ops. It is very small, and It is very hard to get into, and for a job like this you gota make really high on the ASVAB, but thats probably just the start.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marines/a/marspecialops.htm

amorellj
01-20-06, 08:33 AM
hey thanks guys... i understand that i am gonna need to be in pretty good shape and i hope my training here at school can help me with that... i was also wondering if there was a minmum test score on anything

Phantom Blooper
01-20-06, 05:18 PM
110%

NYcityborn
01-21-06, 04:26 AM
Thats the exact things I wanted to know,thanks for answering my question,now Im more sure what to do,Im still preparing for boot.:)

HopefulGrunt2Be
01-22-06, 12:46 AM
amorellj.... everytime a future Marine/poolee even mentions recon, the Marines here tear them to pieces. from one poolee to another, lets get through boot first, see how you do there, force recon is an ELITE group and its def. not something u just go sign up for. but hey, im not here to tell you what u can and cant do, if u want recon, go get that sh!t... good luck man, when do u leave?

amorellj
01-23-06, 09:48 AM
im scheduled to leave 20061505... but i am thinking about leaving earlier. when are you leaving??

MotivatorOfTheGuard
01-23-06, 11:03 AM
im inclined to agree with Outlaw. The important thing right now is earning your title. Whether or not you want to or will be recon is irrelevant at this point. Earn the title thenworry about that stuff. I've seen guys who were probably ****hot before they came into the Marine Corps completely break apart in Boot Camp. And Boot is the easy part...so...dont get ahead of yourself. And i know that unless you are a Grunt and going to ITB, you wont get a chance to indoc at MCT. At least we didnt...

Phantom Blooper
01-23-06, 11:07 AM
I want to be a "Recon Ranger" I want to live a life of danger! Give me some,PT good for you good for me!

Strive to be the best Marine Corps poolee first. Then strive to be a Marine Corps recruit....Then once you get done with recruit training and graduate. Be the best Marine that you can be for yourself ,then God,Country and Corps.

Motvation and learning skills are wonderful tools and your all headed in the right direction but before you can take the final walk across the grinder you have to set foot on the yellow footprints.... and then go full speed throughout your career! Nothing in Marine Corps life is certain once you hit the FMF. All word, missions,administration,logistics and what the recruiter told you is subject to change for the good of the Corps.

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall :evilgrin:

MillRatUSMC
01-23-06, 01:43 PM
WHY do I want to be a Recon Marine?
Should be the first question that you need to address.
But before that, there boot camp to deal with.
Motivation will play a big part on becoming a Marine, than a Recon Marine.
An 0321 MOS might be given if you're a reservist and part of a Recon unit in the reserves.
But you will still meet the requirements, swimming is a great deal of those requirements.
I'm sitting here thinking back to when I volunteered for 1st Recon, than 3rd Recon and all the Recon Marines that I got to know.
They were all highly motivated Marines as their history in Vietnam shows.
Now they are deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq adding to the history of the Corps and to Recon itself.
My advice is to stay motivated and if you're lucky enough to make the requirements of a basic Recon Marine after the Basic Recon Course (BRC) training and you have enough time in grade, you will be afforded the chance to join Force Recon.

HopefulGrunt2Be
01-23-06, 08:30 PM

yellowwing
01-26-06, 11:08 PM
Just to clarify, I did not take the Recon swim training. Water Safety Survival Instructor (WSSI) is the training that I took. It had nothing to do with Recon swim training.

Recon types take combat swimming training. Similar in ways but the end result is totally different and more involved.

WSSI trains you to train others on how to save lives. Combat swim is exactly that. Swim and kill.

Patrick8605
01-27-06, 04:23 PM
I would like to add a little of my own experience with this issure being that I'm currently in a Recon Training Platoon at Camp Lejuene.

At SOI we took a "screening" which consisted of the following: 500 meter swim, 25 meter underwater swim (called a crossover), a rifle retrieval from the bottom of the pool and then holding it over you're head for about 10 seconds, a 30 minute water tread, then a PFT. Its up to the Recon instructors on who made it and who didn't. We had 67 guys try out, 8 made it. We have lost 1 due to his bad eye sight. Honestly there were a few guys who did really well but did not get picked for what ever reason.

Now, to try out for Force Recon you have to have 2 deployments with Batallion Recon and be recommended. I'm positive that all the Force guys are SSGT's or atleast SGT's and above.

Motivation is a big factor in Recon but not the bootcamp type motivation. Its alot of self-motivation, you are tested physically and mentally daily. But as long as you have the mindset of never quiting you should do fine.

Hope this helps. Any other questions feel free to send me a message.

Bret
01-27-06, 07:02 PM
So that underwater 25meter swim. You haft to be underwater that whole time I take it?

outlaw3179
01-27-06, 08:29 PM
hence the underwater part :)

MillRatUSMC
01-27-06, 09:01 PM
Thanks Patrick8605 and the best on your Recon training.
Things sure have changed since I was in Recon.
But so has everything else for that matter.
Marines are better trained now than we were in the 60's.
That when I was first in 1st Recon out in "Hollywood".
Than I got orders to 3rd Recon in K-Bay Hawaii.
Having gone through the training with 1st Recon.
I thought we would pick up where we left off in 1st Recon.
Wrong they had go through their training and they made sure that we knew which training was harder.
In Hawaii, we did a lot of water work, in 1st Recon we did a lot work up at Pickle Meadows, mountain and cold weather training.
All that came to good use in Vietnam, sad that I was to go through my tour with 3rd Recon.
On arriving on Okinawa enroute to Vietnam.
many of the infantry companies of 3/4 found that they were short on NCO's because anybody with less than 6 months was left behind.
That how I came to be a Squad Leader in India 3/4.
But that another sea-story

MillRatUSMC
01-27-06, 09:03 PM
Should have read I wasn't able to go through my tour with 3rd Recon...

Sorry

bigdog43701
01-28-06, 09:19 AM
so you wanna be recon. listen up. battalion recon (1st/2d/3d) works for the CG of the division. EVERYONE who wants recon goes there first. recon is 100% volenteer, no one is "drafted" to be recon. once you have spent years in battalion you can volenteer to go to force (usually Sergeants and above).

the physical aspects of recon is with out a doubt the toughest the huamn body can endure. you run, run and just when you think you can't run anymore you run again. while in 2d battalion a 20 mile run was not unusual for us on friday mornings (back with boots, utilities trousers). if gills were and option recon marines would be required to get them, that is how much time you spend in the water.

if you plan on being married i hope you wife can cope with countless days of you not being home, never knowing where you are or what you are doing.

what i am trying to relay is RECON is a way of life. if you are selected to be RECON and you love it it is a great way to live.

from my recon experience i tell people who want to jump bad (i am in law enforcement now) that if they want to go ahead, but you better bring a lunch and your all day sucker 'cause i'll make rambo look like a cub scout.

Dampier
02-03-06, 10:51 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Pentagon Friday announced plans to significantly increase special operations forces, expand psychological warfare and develop a program to counter biological terrorism as part of a new broad-based military strategy for the 21st century.

Under the long-range plan, called the Quadrennial Defense Review, the Pentagon will increase special operations forces by 15 percent, including the establishment for the first time of a Marine Corps commando unit. And there will be a one-third increase -- or a jump of 3,700 -- in troops assigned to psychological warfare and civil affairs units.

Full story on CNN site:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/03/defense.budget.ap/index.html

Smalcom
02-03-06, 11:11 PM
50m underwater swim ... is over and back in an olympic size swimming pool... all underwater... jsut to let you all know

LittleDevilDog
02-04-06, 12:16 AM
50m underwater swim ... is over and back in an olympic size swimming pool... all underwater... jsut to let you all know

And an olympic size pull is BIG. Takes alot of work and dedication, no doubt.

I'll keep that in mind this summer, aside from my babe watch duties. :cool:

JoeSzynal
02-04-06, 12:46 AM
50 meters is just one full length of the pool, not there and back.

Smalcom
02-04-06, 12:55 AM
mixup sorry... got it

yellowwing
02-04-06, 05:50 AM
I'll keep that in mind this summer, aside from my babe watch duties.
You got that right! It pays to remember what motivates you. :D

LittleDevilDog
02-04-06, 11:08 AM
yellowwing,

I'm reminded everytime they walk by. OORAH! :marine:

Smalcom
02-04-06, 11:16 AM
a 500m swim is over and back 10 times joe.... so wouldnt a 50m underwater swim be over and back once????? thats what teh email said... please correct me... im confused now

JoeSzynal
02-04-06, 12:16 PM
No problem Smalcom. In my email to you I said "from one end of the pool to the other" ten times.

You are saying "over and back" ten times.

If you wanted to use "over and back" to describe the 500m swim it would be done five times.

Smalcom
02-04-06, 12:31 PM
ohhhh ok... thanks for clearing that up... i get it now

Smalcom
02-04-06, 12:34 PM
do you get to dive in for the underwater swim joe?

yellowwing
02-04-06, 12:55 PM
The training is to simulate combat conditions. Combat Scenario Number 143, "Your team must infiltrate through the Straits of Hormuz by swimming 50 meters underwater. Iranian strong points must be broached before an all out amphibious landing can be attempted."

In such operations, there will be no cheating or fudging of qualifications. Swim or die. Semper Fi!

Smalcom
02-04-06, 01:20 PM
OMG im so confused now http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marines/a/reconselection.htm

here it says its a 25m underwater swim..... WHAT AM I GOING TO DO LOL

CrazyBrave83
02-04-06, 05:32 PM
OMG im so confused now http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marines/a/reconselection.htm

here it says its a 25m underwater swim..... WHAT AM I GOING TO DO LOL

You're going to swim. ;)

JoeSzynal
02-07-06, 04:49 PM
It's retraction time.

I had it explained to me by my boss down at the recruitment sub station just today.

Turns out, as of Dec. 1st of last year, you can now sign up directly for Recon. After SOI you go straight to BRC. There is no indoc if you do it this way.

This has to do with the Marine Corps joining the special ops command and thus having an increased need for Recon Marines.

Not sure what happenns if you can't hack BRC and get flushed out however.

Smalcom
02-07-06, 04:59 PM
allright thanks joe.... I imagine BRC is A LOT OF SWIMMING though so better keep at it.

again thanks a lot

Accord
02-07-06, 05:09 PM
It's retraction time.

I had it explained to me by my boss down at the recruitment sub station just today.

Turns out, as of Dec. 1st of last year, you can now sign up directly for Recon. After SOI you go straight to BRC. There is no indoc if you do it this way.

This has to do with the Marine Corps joining the special ops command and thus having an increased need for Recon Marines.

Not sure what happenns if you can't hack BRC and get flushed out however.
Are you positive? My recruiter told me that it only guarantee's you the opportunity to take the indoc and nothing more.

Rdy2gopoolie
02-07-06, 06:01 PM
I read that the unit under socom is a seperate Marine Corp unit. Make sure its recon. Sorry i dont have details on that. Ill look back through the mags that i have and try and find the article.

Smalcom
02-07-06, 06:03 PM
recon is soc though.... its not just SOCOM units.... MarDet1 and MarSoc are the Marine SOCOM units...

Rdy2gopoolie
02-07-06, 06:22 PM
Ok. In the December '05 issue of Leatherneck Magazine there is an article "In a Historic Move, the Corps to Stand up a Special Ops Command." As i read it i understood it as, as of nov.1 the Marine Corp agreed to send personel as "temporary additional duty" and "as-needed basis" to Marsoc which is the first Marine Unit under the command of anyone but the Marine Corp. I understood that as recon is not undersocom. so maybe you still have to indoc for recon but not for marsoc. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/mca-marines/access/942142231.html?dids=942142231:942142231:942142231: 942142231&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT:TG:PAGE&date=Dec+2005&author=R+R+Keene&pub=Leatherneck&edition=&startpage=46&desc=In+a+Historic+Move%2C+the+Corps+to+Stand+Up+a +Special+Ops+Command thats a brief overveiw of the article you can buy the full article if you want. I would like to know if i understood the article wrong. thx.

Smalcom
02-07-06, 06:30 PM
lol theres no "indoc" for marsoc... atleast not one u can just volunteer for... believe joe.... hes probably right

Rdy2gopoolie
02-07-06, 06:31 PM
oh ok. so you contract into Marsoc and indoc into recon?

Smalcom
02-07-06, 08:22 PM
ur chosed for MArsoc.... its not something u can just get right into..... recon u can choose now as an MOS... and get a chance to go to the BRC (basic recon. course) from there... if u pass... ur a recon Marine

but u just cant contract into marsoc

Rdy2gopoolie
02-07-06, 08:23 PM
Ok.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
02-12-06, 04:02 PM
Again...the only thing you should be concerning yourself with is earning the title Marine. I knew a kid who at the begginning was all concerned about being able to try out as Recon and Scout/Sniper. Until about second phase when that nasty recruit couldnt complete the crucible because he had backbone, no heart...he didnt do the reaper at all simply because he is such a ...well... you know. Earn the title Marine...worry about everything else later.

Rdy2gopoolie
02-13-06, 05:08 PM
Agreed, Sir. What is the reaper?

MotivatorOfTheGuard
02-14-06, 09:28 AM
If you're westcoast...you'll find out

Rdy2gopoolie
02-14-06, 06:43 PM
Darn. Im east coast, sir.

NASAMarine
03-02-06, 04:48 PM
I started off with India 3/3 as an Infantryman, did a Westpac in 82'. Then took the 3rd Recon Bn. test in the P.I., did a another Westpac with them and then went to Force down in Okinawa. After hanging out there for 3 years I ended my Force career at Pendleton with the 5th Force.

Being in Force teaches you things you'll never experience in any line company. When your in such a small team you have to learn to deal with all the little things yourselves i.e. supplies, local natives that speak no english, dealing with not hearing from your command for weeks at a time.

However before you even get to that point of mind discipline you'll be going through every school, course and MCI the Corps and God can think of!

It will teach you something great about yourself along the way. In my 9 years in the Corps, I finished my B.A. in Industrial Technology (it took me 6 years to finish, since I was always in the field or overseas). Before I go out was hired by the DOD as an explosives enginneer while I was still participating in Desert Storm.

After 7 years we had the major "Cold War" lay-offs. and alot of us got the boot. NASA was hiring here in Houston and you know who they hired for 10 of 10 positions...military! One Ranger, one Navy UDT , 6 assorted Air Force, Army & Coast Guard :gotee: along with me.

Every time I sent out my resume the first thing they said that got me in the door was the fact that I am a MARINE!

If you have any other questions about Force email my brothers at the Force Recon Association, they'll be glad to help. If you have any questions about NASA, email me: dpwillia@jsc.nasa.gov.

By the way the book and movie Jarhead was unrealistic garbage (in my opinion).