PDA

View Full Version : Got a Problem.

firstsgtmike
11-13-02, 10:49 AM
Sorry, but I've got a problem with this.

In the MC News Forum:

"ERR Recruiters of the Year battle for top spot"

Poolees are designated into tiers based on their educational level and scores on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, with tier I being of the highest quality.

Top three contenders had signed:
53 contracts with 100 percent of tier I applicants.
57 contracts and 98 percent tier I applicants
39 contracts and 100 percent tier I applicants.
------------------------------------------------------------
Number 1. We are an elite force, but we should NOT be elitist.

Number 2. I wonder how many potentially great Marines were turned away because they were NOT Tier I?

Number 3. How many of US would have been allowed to enlist?
Not ME!

Number 4. How many of our heroes, role models, and Outstanding Marines would have made the cut? Not Chesty!

Number 5. Does EVERY MOS require MENSA candidates? I think not.

I think we are making a mistake we will come to regret.

Semper Fi

Barndog
11-13-02, 11:08 AM
1stSgt Mike.... Yer right on the ball here. Allow me to continue your opening.
(from Aug '01 Marine Corps Gazette - by LtCol Jon T. Hoffman USMCR - who is the author of 'CHESTY') OOHHHHH RAHHHHH

(in discussion of Chesty's enrollment at VMI, then going onto OTC at Quantico in 1919....'in which he lacked the size, skill to do well at sports. He 'fared little better in the classroom and stood 177th out of 233 cadets at the end of his 1st year' - at VMI) Puller (while at OTC) did not fare especially well in the clasroom. He took heart from the belief, however, that in any group of students, there would always "be at least one SOB dumber than I am, so I keep on plugging and have the confidence that I will not be at the bottom". (direct quote)

Barndog
11-13-02, 11:31 AM
After his Summary Court Martial (for being UA 2 hours), and continued troubles in the classroom, then LtCol A.A. Vandegrift (future CMC) gave Chesty his 'second chance' to realize his dream of becoming a Marine Officer.
Chesty pinned on his gold bars on 06 MARCH 1924 at Marine Barracks Washington - 7 YEARS after starting at VMI.
Major Vogel (who may have expelled him from OCS in 1921 after his Summary) - instead he chose to recognize his proven (though not yet spectacular) performance in actual duty (processing reports in Haiti for the Gendarmerie). Vandegrift would later cite Puller's second chance at OCS as proof of General Lejeune's philosophy that a young man ' should be allowed one mistake without having it held against him'.

Chesty's experience does not tell us exactly where to draw the line for second chances. How does a short period of being UA compare with the use of illegal drugs, bouncing checks, or any of the many other ways in which a young person or Marine can go wrong?? Which mistakes are so serious that no second chances are ever warranted??? How weak does performance in school have to be to indicate that someone won't be able to digest required professional knowledge? At what point does sheer determination fail to outweigh a lack of natural physical or mental talent?? Do we only give a second chance, or are third or fourth chances appropriate in some cases? Do we cut off the right to second chances at a certain point in one's career when maturity supposedly should prevent mistakes, or does a longer string of 'attaboys' carry even greater positive weight?

Are we better off with hard and fast rules, or should leaders have considerable leeway in applying guidelines to individual cases? There are no easy answers to these questions or to the specific cases that arise every day in the Corps, but our senior leaders should strive mightly to stamp out even the hint of the zero-defects mentality in our Service.

We probally won't ever get another Chesty Puller as a result of giving second chances, but we can encourage young Americans and Marines to learn from their mistakes and keep striving to do better. Not many people "have much to go on," but everyone can "have some perserverance."

And THAT should carry then a long way in the Corps and in life.

OOHHH RAHHHH

wrbones
11-13-02, 01:20 PM
****, Tony! How can anyone say anything else after that speech! You said it all in my opinion Brother.

( Be careful, bro! Yer edumacation is showing! LOL)

Semper Fi Marines. I agree with both of you!

Barndog
11-13-02, 05:24 PM
Can I reply again here without seeming long-winded (ala my Sgt Bones before me - whom has been called this before)

I ain't perfect..... don't claim to be. Don't wanna be.

All I know is one thing: I AM A MARINE - I WAS GIVEN A SECOND CHANCE.
I proved myself to perservere, without having much to go on.
AND, it HAS carried ME a long way BEYOND the Corps, and a longer way in LIFE.

OOHHH RAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

JAMarine
11-13-02, 06:04 PM
I wonder how many $hit Birds are not with us any longer. $hit Birds as described by his Platoon Sgt. or Commandar. "That $hit Bird will never make it. We'll be carring him home in a BodyBag".

I wonder about that '$hit Bird' PVT or PFC that found the courage in the pit of his stomach which made him leap on that gernade to safe the life of his buddy's.

I wonder about the '$hit Bird' that saw a Brother downed in front of him but still saw he was alive and did whatever needed to be done to move into a position to save his life.

I wonder and pray for those '$hit Birds' that will never return because what they found deep within their soles made them to this day "HERO's" of men.

I wonder if these same men would be accepted and have the chance to be called "Marine" with todays expectations.

Just my thought.

Barndog
11-13-02, 07:58 PM
PS to my first post(s) - that IS excerpted from the Gazette.

I take no credit for it, other than the privledge of having read it on 10 Nov 2002.

Fer fvcks sakes, what's a Marine to do on the Birthday, nursing the Ball hangover from the night before?

Drink a couple beers (sacriledge to not), watch football, war movies, and the 'required reading.'

OOHHRAHHH!!!!

firstsgtmike
11-14-02, 02:00 AM
I think I made my point. THANK YOU ALL.