PDA

View Full Version : Any resident aliens?

Alex1
12-02-05, 02:11 PM
Hello!
My name is Alex,i registered some days before.

I've been fascinated by the marine corps for years and developed a deep respect for what the marines do and stand for;that's why i considered joining for some time now.

I'm european and i know that in this case a green card or similar visa is needed to join the marine corps.
I also have been trying to obtain an visa,but didn't succeed yet.

Now i'd like to ask,if anyone of you (marines,recruits) is a resident alien or has been a legal resident at the time he (or she) joined the corps?

It would be great if you could share your experience and any advice concerning this issue would be greatly appreciated!
If a recruiter reads this thread,i'd be especially happy about a reply!

Thank you very much!
Best wishes

Alex

SgtIntensity
12-02-05, 02:35 PM
This is what I was trying to say: Contact the American Embassy in Vienna. http://www.usembassy.at/en/embassy/contact.htm Marines guard the American Embassy so maybe you could make a Marine friend that could help you out that is there.

Yes I have two friends that served in the Marines but were NOT U.S citizens at the time... one British and the other Kenyan.

yellowwing
12-02-05, 02:39 PM
I joined as a Canadian, with adoptive American parents. That made it much easier on me to get the resident alien card, and approval to enlist.

SgtIntensity's plan of attack sounds more suitable for your situation.

When I did get to Boot Camp and into the Corps, being a resident alien did not effect anything. Within two years I was sworn in as a Citizen.

Alex1
12-03-05, 05:04 AM
Thanks very much,SgIntensity and Yellowwing!
Maybe talking to the marine on duty might be the best idea;compared to the "green card lottery" it certainly is....and since joining on the basis of a student or working visa is not possible this might be a chance...

Thank you!
Alex