PDA

View Full Version : Why did you join?/ Why are you joining?

HopefulGrunt2Be
11-28-05, 05:10 PM
Why did everyone here join the Marine Corps? I have had countless people ask me why I did it, especially people who cant understand why somone would do it. I tell them I cant even explain why I joined, it is just something in me that strives to want to be the best, and that is what the Marine Corps is...The Best. All i know is that every time I think that hopefully one day I will be called a United States Marine...it sends tingles down my spine. How about you guys? Why did you do it?

eddief
11-28-05, 05:36 PM
I wanted to be the first kid on my block with a confirmed kill.

yellowwing
11-28-05, 05:53 PM
I wanted to prove myself worthy to be part of the best. Reagan was in office and patriotism was at a high level. He had the character to lead the last World Superpower and I wanted to be one of his own. It seemed like every 5th person was joining the army or navy. When I saw the Recruiter in his Dress Blues, I knew it was going to take something else to earn that uniform.

Yeah, I was 17 and cocky as hell. But those Drill Instructors made dang sure that I earned it!

BOOGIEMAN44
11-28-05, 06:48 PM
I Joined For The Simple Fact I Had To Get A Way From Home, And I Thought If I Was Joining Any Thing, I Might As Well Join The Best, No War Was Going On, But I Thought If One Did Arise, I Had Better Be With The Marine Corps, It Was My Only Shot Of Staying Alive, I Saw What The Army Was Like, My Step Brother Went There, And I Wanted No Part Of That, Semper Fi.

junker316
11-28-05, 07:15 PM
I made a promise to a Marine who happened to be my Step-father. He died before I could up-hold that promise because of a car accident. I Promised that when I got tired of the work I was doing and everything that had to do with it I would go to the Corps. As you can see I held my promise. I am a proud Marine and wouldn't change for anything else. It was worth every moment.

He always said I would make a great Marine. I can only hope that he knows I'm in.

marinefamily5
11-28-05, 07:41 PM
well I joined because I wanted to try to do my part in making a better place for kids of today to grow up in and not to say i wanted to be the best

Tegan
11-28-05, 10:51 PM
I joined because I feel it is my true calling. I graduated highschool in 2003 and did the thing that most thought I should do.. go to college. WELL, i hated it so I left. I have worked jobs at minimum wage, lived in my own place and supported myself. I watched my brother and most of my friends become Marines right before my eyes. I have traveled all across the US, mostly by myself. When I went to Camp Pendleton/Horno and MCRDSD this past January, I was hooked. To see my friend newly back from Iraq interact with his buddies and the way my brother looked when he graduated.. I'll never forget it.
I feel that I have come to my light in the tunnel. I have loved my life so far, and I will love it even more when I become a Marine.

Deviousfred
11-29-05, 10:38 AM
Very few are willing to serve, therefore those who are willing should.

Devious

Rock_The_MC
11-29-05, 12:47 PM
Why I joined...?

Simple, The gut feeling.

I belong in the Corps.

Oohrah.

Matt Johnson
11-29-05, 03:02 PM
i joined because i wanna do something with myself that benefits me, my family, and my country. i love this country and feel that i should pay it back for the freedom its given to me and my peers.
Oorah
Matt

"For those who fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
i want this flavor

outlaw3179
11-29-05, 03:56 PM
I joined because I wanted the free t shirt

Osotogary
11-29-05, 04:32 PM
Well...did ya get the free t-shirt? LMAO. Thanks for the chuckle. I know that you did get a t-shirt, maybe even a couple of them, but I don't suppose any of them were free.

tntmondy
11-29-05, 05:35 PM
I joined the Marine Corps because NO WAY was I going to wear bell bottoms. Seriously though I was tired of school and saw the Marine Corps as a way to do something worth while with my life. At the age of 17 I wanted a challenge, there were those that told me I wouldn't make it, I did just to pi** them off. I wouldn't trade my time in the Corps for anything, I wish most of the time I would have stayed in.

BOOGIEMAN44
11-29-05, 06:43 PM
Outlaw, Thanks I Needed A Good Laugh After The Day I Had, Thanks...

Pop-A-TopII
11-29-05, 09:21 PM
I joined the Corps because in 1969 my older bother (of 2 years) was KIA while serving in Vietnam with the 129th Assault Helicopter Company, Army. His was a Crewchief on a UH-1H. Went down 9-11-69. His 21st birthday. We grew up together, went to school together, worked together, drank together, fought together and I took him to the airport the day he let for Nam. That was the last time I saw him. I joined to get even with the lil' people for killin' Larry. Closest I got was Oki in 71. They pinned my turd cutter to the island and wouldn't let me off. Probably was good thing they kept me there. I had planed to start marching north from Saigon all the way to Hanoi and get them all and end the war. That probably would of made mother a Double Gold Star Mother. I love being a Marine and my grand-kids still believe I eat nails for breakfast. OORAAA.Only person tuffer them me in the world is my wife.......................she might wear the pants in the family, but I damn sure make sure that they are ironed before she puts them on!!!!;)

ese4mc
11-30-05, 07:32 AM
A Little Boys Dream Growing Up & It Came True--what An Ending

outlaw3179
11-30-05, 11:21 AM
Seriously ,

I joined because I didnt want to go to college and I wanted to do something completly different. I didnt want to be like all my loser friends who werent doing anything , but I felt that if I was going to join the military I had to enlist in the Marines. When I got to boot camp I had no idea what the hell made me join, but aftewards ...without a doubt the best decision I have ever made. I love being a Marine and being able to claim the title of Marine.

Tallboot
11-30-05, 11:48 AM
I cant explain it, ever since i have gotten into it, my gut feeling about it wont let me withdraw from it if i wanted to. It does send chills down my spin to because i know i have chose somthing for myself. Maybe a step becoming a man .. i dont know, but men before us have gladly died for our freedom, so there sons could live in America. It strikes me that some 3rd world countrys are acutally brain washed or what ever, into runnin airplanes into my biuldings and killin people

christine_06
12-01-05, 07:18 PM
i know what you're talking about Tallboot it's basically the same for me except i also wanted to do it to make a change for the better and actually do something with my life that is actually worthwhile instead of doing something that i didn't really want to do or like to do because i had to.

DuckSauce
12-01-05, 08:48 PM
I wanted to look in the mirror and see a Marine looking back at me. I wanted the respect and the heritage found in the Marine Corps, its amazing how all your friends treat you differently the first time you come home on boot leave. I had wrote my girl and told her I qual'd expert on the range, well she ran into some of my friends and told them too, they were all like wow, they might make him a sniper (ha ha).

Total strangers can just look at you and know you're a Marine. I went home for veterans day, and happened to be traveling on our Corps glorious birthday. Can't remember how many people stopped me to say happy birthday Marine.

Its a good feeling. Being one of the best. We truely are a family of brothers. Together we can move mountains and accomplish anything.

oohrah!
PFC Welbaum

sgtfowler
12-01-05, 09:06 PM
I joined because I had gotten my draft notice. I sure as didn't want to go in the Navy, (didn't like bell bottoms), I thought the Air Farce was a joke and I had seen enough of the Army that I sure as hell didn't want to go there. That left the Coast Guard or the Marines. I get seasick just looking at a boat. Funny thing though, my recruiters forgot to let the draft board know that I had taken my physical & I had two MP's at my door the next day wanting to drag me off to jail.......Good thing I had my orders with me.

p8ntballsnipr1
12-01-05, 09:14 PM
look at the pic, a Marine put that on my head, and taught me the Correct way to Say O0oRahH!! that Marine is my Grandfather its been in my blood and its wat i was born to do, seein how i cant make the world a safer place, mite as well preserve the way it is not for a bit longerC:\Documents and Settings\Thomas Schottmiller\My Documents\My Pictures\Aim pics\me.JPEG

DuckSauce
12-01-05, 09:20 PM
Your link is jacked up poolee...

i haven't linked stuff in a while, try using a hosting service to host your pic, then they'll format it so you can see the picture in the forum...copy and paste style.

p8ntballsnipr1
12-01-05, 09:28 PM
--REPOSTED--
hopefully it works

look at the pic, a Marine put that on my head, and taught me the Correct way to Say O0oRahH!! that Marine is my Grandfather its been in my blood and its wat i was born to do, seein how i cant make the world a safer place, mite as well preserve the way it is no for a bit longer

http://myspace-568.vo.llnwd.net/00338/86/57/338327568_l.jpg

vilchez
12-01-05, 09:54 PM
I joined because I believe in America. I know how it is in other countries which other people dont understand. We have it great here and I want to take part of allowing people in other countries to have what we have. I dont want anyone to be tortured like my grandpa and his borthers were tortured in Nicaragua when the Sandinistas(communist) took over in the 80s. I will fight and protect this country until my heart stops beating and my finger has now way of pulling that trigger. Ill die before my little borther or mom or dad ever loose their freedom.

double d
12-01-05, 10:45 PM
I want to join because I want to do something that'll challenge me physically, mentally, and everything else that comes with it. I want the respect that comes with the Marine Corpse. That's about it. Plus, my good friend from highschool is in the Corpse right now and I want to be in their with him, even if we're not in the same place. So for my first time ever.......OORAAHH!

HopefulGrunt2Be
12-01-05, 10:52 PM
double d...Marine Corps, no "e", sorry just didnt want an actual Marine to get a hold of you first, and make sure it is alright that you say oohrah, i was told not to say that before becoming a Marine, unless your recruiter said it was alright. Just a little advice, not trying to be the almighty ruler over here.

yellowwing
12-01-05, 10:56 PM
Good catch, HopefulGrunt2Be! Keep up that Leadership :thumbup:

DuckSauce
12-02-05, 06:03 PM
don't worry poolees, you'll have plenty of time to say oohrah. once you're off the island its oohrah this, oohrah that.

Be careful saying it too much before your visit to PI, you might upset a Marine or two...friendly heads up.

PFC Welbaum

jryanjack
12-02-05, 06:30 PM
I joined for a number of reasons - tradition, I'm 4th generation Marine. To make something of myself, to be a part of something bigger, to make a difference. Because I love my country and now my Corps, and that if I went to war I wanted to go with the best.

Ferg69to73
12-02-05, 07:47 PM
I joined because my girlfriend was driving me up the wall lol. Finally one day i had just plain had enough and drove to the recruiter, and, since this was in 1969, the office wasn't real crowded. He had me take a bunch of tests and said "I'm in a real hurt locker here for a 4 year aviation guaranty... would you consider signing up for four?

I said, sure, no problem. I liked airplanes. Slightly naive? yeah i was. grew up in a farm town where exciting was watching the grass grow...

By the grace of God i made it through boot camp although i was certain my DI's were going to kill me. :) I then went to Pendleton for some infantry training, then got leave before going to NATTC Memphis for assignment to an aviation MOS.

On leave, i looked up my girlfriend, and she shreiked YOU BABYKILLER!!! YOU NASTY ROTTEN MILITARISTIC #!**!!#$! YOU ***!!!

Being the now slightly wiser young Marine, i realized that she hadn't changed any. At least she didn't spit on my dress blues...

My Reaction: I learned more about life, loyalty, honor, and a host of other virtues during my 4 yrs than i probably ever would have anywhere else. There was something very special and different about being a Marine that has stood me in good stead all these years. Would i join again? In a heartbeat.

And i would still take pride in serving a country where people had the right to call me terrible names, spit on me, etc. etc. because we have freedom of speech. I don't have to like them, and i certainly don't have to like their viewpoint, but Freedom is what its all about. Hope this helps.

gibby1371
12-02-05, 07:53 PM
i joined becasue this is the only thing i could have done were i would get paid to stay in shape, travel, kill people and blow stuff up and ultimitaly become part of something bigger than myself

Mac88
12-11-05, 12:37 AM
Honestly, I am going to join purley beacuse i got a free poster!!!:bunny:

DuckSauce
12-11-05, 05:28 PM
Honestly, I am going to join purley beacuse i got a free poster!!!:bunny:

:thumbup:

OLE SARG
12-11-05, 06:16 PM
I wanted to join the BEST service and thus I joined the Marine Corps!!!

OoooRrrrAaaHhh!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI, :marine:

BigPhil
12-11-05, 10:24 PM
I joined at the age of 17 because the Marine Corps was the Best of the Best. have never regreted serving, Went places I would have never gone if not for the Corps. I made a lot of friends and lost a lot of friends while their.
Phil Benton
Semper Fi.
1961/1968

MillRatUSMC
12-12-05, 02:48 AM
It surely wasn't for money, more to do, with knowing that one was going to get drafted back in 1957.
What does a 17 1/2 year old know?
What does he have to give?
Was he influence by the service of his four uncles in World War II in the US Army, one went on to serve in Korea.
Would the reasonable thing to do, enlist in the US Army.
No I had to do things my way, and I;m glad I did.
To the tune of ten years of service, I got more than I gave, even if it was ten years.
That saw me first on "the Missiles of October" , I followed that in 1965 going to South Vietnam, than back in 1966 for a second tour.
My service, builded on the core values I had before enlisting.
So what did I enlist/join?
I tend to have some trouble with the word "join", one enlists into service, one does not join.
Just like one does not use the term "DI" in place of "Drill Instructor" on the web.
That must come from not using that term in boot camp along many other terms such as "I", that might have drawn a poke in one's eye to see which "I" the recruit was talking about.
That action now might get a Drill Instructor in BIG TROUBLE.
Would I enlist again if I could go back to 1957?
You best believe it...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

ASFAB93
12-12-05, 03:09 PM
I enlisted because I want to kill bad people and get payed for it.

jerryB
12-12-05, 04:36 PM
If I had to explain it to a person , whi isn't a marine, they just wouldn't understand it..

Semper Fidelis.

jerryB
12-12-05, 04:38 PM
If I had to explain it to a person , who isn't a marine, they just wouldn't understand it..

Semper Fidelis.:

outlaw3179
12-12-05, 04:40 PM
I think one thing that we all share in common is deep inside all of us is a strong love for our country and our brothers. Plus I think many of us have always been cocky and always felt we were better than most. I have always been proud to claim the title United States Marine. Until the day I die I will always be proud and I will forever be a part of long legacy of Marines past present and future.

sgt.lane
12-12-05, 05:54 PM
I just wanted to know what the "pit" was and practice my push ups and stuff....

Gunny McMillan
12-12-05, 10:55 PM
I got lost on the way to college.

HopefulGrunt2Be
12-13-05, 01:24 AM
I heard you get a free haircut!

yellowwing
12-13-05, 06:31 AM
I think one thing that we all share in common is deep inside all of us is a strong love for our country and our brothers. Plus I think many of us have always been cocky and always felt we were better than most.
Outstanding Outlaw! It is definitely not politically correct but pizz on them. We are the absolute best 150,000 warriors our Beloved Nation of 260 million souls have produced. NO ONE is getting past us.

DuckSauce
12-13-05, 10:56 AM
I heard you get a free haircut!

sorry, no go there. They'e 2x as much.

HopefulGrunt2Be
12-15-05, 12:12 AM
Oh well, atleast i'll get a free sense of pride, honor of serving this great country, and the best experience of my life...that will be nice too

3077India
12-24-06, 06:22 PM
I wanted to travel the world, see new places, meet people of ancient and interesting cultures -- and kill them. :p Alas, I wasn't in long enough to do that.:cry:

Motorola07
12-24-06, 06:29 PM
I joined because I wanted the free t shirt

im going to start using this line... because i got a free t shirt

jinelson
12-24-06, 07:59 PM
Its cool to read this thread and what the Poolee's of one year ago had to say and then look at their avatars and see that they have accomplished their mission and became one of the few and proud, United States Marines. OORAH!!!

Jim

SgtHMH
12-25-06, 01:15 AM
My whole family had served from the Revolution and it was my turn to serve. I wanted to always be a Marine and that is what I became. I joined the Corp in 1981 and did my duty. I did active duty time and active reserve time. I have alot of good friends and good times because or it and also some bad times, but would never give that ever up. I am now in the Marine Corps League and could not be in if not Marine. Alot of people fear the name Marine and when they find out you served. They know you did your part in a big way and thank you alot. There is always that 10% that don't like the military or law enforcement, because they don't like to be told what to do or protest. Well I am a Marine and a retired State Officer so I did both and done my watch on both sides of the wall.

Semper Fi

Sgt. and Officer Hoss

jinelson
12-25-06, 01:29 AM
OORAH!!! Brother well done!