PDA

View Full Version : Medical-Age/DQ questions

Andy1971
11-21-05, 08:24 AM
I'd like to become a marine and have not yet spoken to a recruiter. I've done some research and it looks like I have at least 2 DQs for which I'd need waivers.

First is that I'm a type I diabetic. Any form of diabetes mellitus is listed as a disqualification. Second is that I've never served and I'm 34 turning 35 in May. Maximum age to enlist is (I believe) 35 in the armed forces by statute, but 28 in the Marine Corps. I think the only thing I might age qualify for is the Army reserve.

I'm a highly motivated college grad who speaks french and in good health and want to talk to the recruiter. I don't want to waste his time. Will I be wasting his time? I really want to become a Marine because they are the best and reflect honor, duty and professionalism like no other branch. If I can't get into the armed forces at all I'm wondering how I might best serve my country.

:confused:

Thanks.

bigdog43701
11-21-05, 09:36 AM
andy,

sorry dude...but being diabetic is a permanant DQ. it can nont be waived, ever if you were prior service.

viet vet who went into the army reserve. tried to get back in to old reserve unit just prior to desert storm and found that i had become type II diabetic and got PDQ'd. (3 years to retirement).

Andy1971
11-21-05, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the tip. It looks pretty hopeless then. Maybe I'll apply to the NSA or CIA. I can't really think of how else to serve. Andy

Osotogary
11-21-05, 10:48 AM
Have you considered maybe working with Homeland Security related positions? Border Patrol? National Park Service? US.Customs? (especially being bilingual)