PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July ~ Celebrations

Sparrowhawk
06-30-02, 08:33 AM
<b>What do you recall of your 4th of July CELEBRATIONS?

~~~~~~~~~~~

I recall the The yearly Forth of July celebrations of my youth.

The picnics and Bar-B-que at the city park was a community event and everyone came out for the celebration.

At the entrance to the city a large sign read; "Welcome to Casa Grande, Arizona, an all American City"

A heavily greased 20-foot aluminum pole was always erected in the middle of the park and a crispy brand new $20.00 bill was placed at the very top. All the kids would try to climb up the pole to get the prize. It wasn’t long before we became as slick as the pole with grease, but someone always managed to get the prize.

Everyone stayed at the park to hear the High school band play and to hear local politicans speak about honor, country, and God.

Then we all stayed to watch the evening fireworks.

Those were the memories that influenced my life, that thought me to honor its government, institutions and authorities. Happy 4th of July ~ America

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<i>Last year this baby hummingbird kept coming back to the same tree branch in San Diego. I placed an American flag behind it and waited. It took over two rolls of film until I got this shot. It reflects a proud look.

PS: It makes a great computer background, just right click on your mouse and click, save as background. Enjoy, Cook

</i></b>

http://cookbarela.bizland.com/humflag.gif

Havelka
06-30-02, 08:43 AM
:) That is one outstanding picture of the flag and humming bird.
You could enter that into any contest it surely a winner.
S/F Gunny Havelka

Spiderman
06-30-02, 10:49 PM
The 4th of July, US Independence Day

On July 4th, Americans celebrate Independence Day. The story goes something like this…

A group of settlers known as Pilgrims settled in a place known as Plymouth. The settlements grew and 13 colonies were established. Although the settlers original fled England to avoid religious persecution they found themselves under British rule.

The colonies struggled for independence and autonomy from the clutches of England for many years. England was far away and was unable to be actively involved with the welfare of the colonists. They did, however, levy heavy taxes on all products going to the colonies.

In 1767, England placed a tax on all tea used by the American colonist. The colonists protested "taxation without representation" and refused to allow the tea to be unloaded. In 1773, colonists dressed as Native Americans, boarded ships from the East India Company and threw 300 chests of tea into the Boston Harbor. This became known as the Boston Tea Party and the road to freedom was begun.

On January 10, 1776 the famous pamphlet Common Sense, by Thomas Paine, was distributed. It swept the colonies invoking a sense of pride and determination. The Spirit of '76 was born.

On July 4, 1776, Congress passed the Declaration of Independence. It announced to the world that "these United Colonies" are "Free and Independent States" and absolved their ties with England, thus beginning the war for independence. They had declared their right to "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Today Americans celebrate by flying the flag, cooking at home (usually a cookout, also known as a barbecue), and watching a brilliant fireworks display.

US Facts
Capital: Washington, D.C.
Motto: "In God We Trust"
National Anthem: "The Star Spangled Banner"
National Bird: Bald Eagle
National Flower: Rose

http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/paine/index.gif Thomas Paine

<b>COMMON SENSE</b>
http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/paine/works/common-sense/index.htm