PDA

View Full Version : divorce/update/UCMJ?

Tegan
10-12-05, 09:18 PM
Hey everybody
Last nite my dad (army) let loose that he has a girlfriend, I guess for awhile now and shes married and has kids too.
Needless to say he packed all of his stuff and left today. I dont want him in this house to hurt my mother anymore, and I found out that he may be punishable under the UCMJ. Anyone know any good links or anything to learn about it?

The good news is that I was on the phone with my brother, LCPL in Okinawa, for most of the day. He's pretty shaken up about it, and he kept reassuring me that Marines dont do this to their families. ( maybe it happens, but im sure he was referring to Marines he knows, i dont know. )
He was a great support and told me not to lose my motivation. Bootcamp isnt too far off for me either. About a month and a half or so.

The other day I went to my friends house (hes an 0311 in Iraq right now) and his dad was making me more familiar with a rifle. I believe what he had was an M15A2. He showed me how to hold it and general things about it. They have their own private range and he makes his own ammo. It was pretty empowering to just hold that rifle, and I can see why new Marines miss them!! I talked to my recruiter on this past Monday, and I have to take an IST sometime this week and report back to him my results. ( he's in Oregon, I'm in Wisconsin)

As for my mental ability to go forth with bootcamp, I am not wavered. (My dad made it a point to tell me last nite that he thinks I am going to find a medical reason to get out of going and I just left the room.) I know you all have told me to do this for myself and to not prove to people that I can do it. I AM DOING THIS FOR MYSELF, BUT, when you are in bootcamp, what keeps you going? IM sure at least ONE of you thought something like," I gotta keep going, I have to prove_____ that I can do it."
I guess what Im trying to point is that when it gets tough I can keep going because I dont want my dad to see me fail and that I am going to be a better person(its a hard topic to explain)

Thanks for reading this long ass post.
Tegan

Toby M
10-12-05, 11:32 PM
Tegan
You are in a tough situation and I'm sorry that I can't give you any advice. I have been in your shoes and the only thing I can tell you is to stay focused! Don't do this for your Dad-do it for your self. Good Luck and remember, come back and talk to us...there is a lot of different experience on this site.

LivinSoFree
10-14-05, 09:34 AM
Under the UCMJ, adultery is punishible under the General Article (134), as conduct considered to be "prejudicial to the good order and discipline of the United States Armed Forces." If you want a breakdown of the ins and outs of it, here's a good link for you

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justicelawlegislation/a/adultery.htm

GySgtRet
10-14-05, 10:14 AM
Tegan, <br />
<br />
My advice since you are asking for it is when you arrive at Parris Island do not look back at what has happened is was going to go that way anyway. Your mom will need supported also, that...

jgorosco
10-14-05, 10:18 AM
"I guess what Im trying to point is that when it gets tough I can keep going because I dont want my dad to see me fail and that I am going to be a better person"

I think you just anwswered your own question in a way. If you want to be a Marine and a Man I think you should show people that you can do something that only a select few can accomplish. Don't do it for your dad or to prove him wrong if you don't want to do that. Do it to prove you have the INTESTINAL FORTITUDE to become a MARINE!! Prove yourself to yourself.

I went through the same thing you are going through only at a earlier age with abuse in the mix(mainly me, so my mom wouldn't get beat) Believe me you can do it! You just got to believe in yourself, that is the most important thing. In boot you really don't have time to have a pity party for yourself. To keep yourself motivated always think about the next day of training. Another thing MAN UP and deal with the fact of your dad has a girlfriend. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and FOCUS!!

If you need anything feel free to hit me up

SEMPER FI
IYAOYAS

GySgtRet
10-14-05, 10:28 AM
jgorosco,

Tegan is a female. I don't thank that manup will work. Its ok you didn't know.

Semper Fidelis

jgorosco
10-14-05, 10:35 AM
OH ok Woman up! then

SEMPER FI
IYAOYAS

Tegan
10-14-05, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all of your advice. After talking with some of you from this website and my sister I have realized that It's going to be up to my mother and father as to what happens. I guess I just wanted to be educated on the UCMJ, because my mother hasn't the first idea how the military runs. Its a crappy deal, but Im going to stay focused on bootcamp and my goal of PLT Honorwoman! I am going to look forward and put my efforts into the Marine Corps, not something that is strictly between my parents. Thanks for your honesty and advice.
Tegan

GySgtRet
10-14-05, 01:53 PM
Tegan,

You are welcome. I think that you have made your own good choice.

Good luck in December at Parris Island

jryanjack
10-14-05, 04:20 PM
Tegan,

I think that we would be lying to you if we didn't say that at one point or another we all didn't reach a point in boot camp that we had to ask "can I do this?" That's the point of boot camp - to break you down to the bare elements and then build you back as a Marine! For me it was the overwhelming desire to be a Marine that pushed me through - as the Gunny has said, stay focused on your goal and you will be just fine.

enviro
10-15-05, 01:18 AM
99% of all unit commanders will not charge a Marine with adultery if does not interfere with the good order and discipline of the unit. <br />
<br />
Scenario 1 - Sgt Smith is seeing a married woman out in...

KingDonkeyPunch
10-15-05, 01:50 AM
Enviro, I think that your first piece of advice for females, should the number one priority of males as well. Stay away from WM's, they only burn you, sometimes in more than just one way. And I always remember the saying, what happens on "The Rock", stays on "The Rock".

Tegan, as far as "Marines dont do that kind of stuff", that is not true. It happens everywhere. In my last unit alone, my Det Commander was cheating on his wife with her best friend.

Here is some wisdom to think about.
::What do Lcpl's and 2nd Lt's have in common?::
-They both enjoy a night on the town with the Lt's wife-