PDA

View Full Version : Veteran Status?

CrazyBrave83
10-12-05, 06:55 PM
I just have a question about one's status as a veteran. I went to Parris Island in December 03 and was medically discharged due to complications with my knee. Now that I'm back I periodically get...

Orion
10-12-05, 07:03 PM
How long were you in before you were medically discharged?

CAS3
10-13-05, 07:20 AM
Did you recieve seperation pay?

CrazyBrave83
10-13-05, 07:45 AM
I receieved pay for boot camp, but I don't recall receiving any separation pay. As for how long I was in, I was only at Parris Island for a month, but I was in the DEP for 8...from April 03 to December 03. It's just strange cause I keep getting veteran's stuff in the mail...I got a 'welcome home' booklet from MA State Government two months ago...and guess what, it would've coincided with my return from Iraq. One of the GySgts who I ran into during outprocessing told me that I should always put down that I served in the Marines on job applications, forms, whatever. I haven't, however...so I just don't understand where this VA stuff is coming from.

Thanks for the replies.

-Sullivan

Ed Palmer
10-13-05, 08:07 AM
Best way to get a answer is go apply for benifits .
Its either yea or nay.
All you have to do is to prove you served more than 6 months active duty.
Its your nickle go for it

PTWARRIOR
10-13-05, 09:25 AM
Yeah I agree SSgt. apply for benefits .

Phantom Blooper
10-13-05, 08:58 PM
CrazyBrave call 1-800-827-1000 ... 0830 to 1630 your time and pose all your questions to a Veteran counselor. You are probally getting mail and inforrmation because you were discharged medically...

CAS3
10-14-05, 08:37 AM
Hey Sully,
As a vet rep, I can tell you that if you have a DD 214 you are a veteran. What that means is you are entitled to cerain benefits such as disability. Since you have served during a time of war, you are entitled to other benefits that most wouldn't be such as home loans.
CAS (the S is for Sullivan!!)

CrazyBrave83
10-14-05, 11:09 AM
I appreciate all the responses. If anything I'll most likely just let it slide. I don't think I deserve benefits in any way, shape, or form. I'll wait 'til I claim the title to get 'em.

But thanks again, glad this is cleared up.