PDA

View Full Version : Recon Marine brings knowledge, experience to fight

thedrifter
09-14-05, 05:09 AM
Recon Marine brings knowledge, experience to fight
II Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD)
Story by Lance Cpl. Evan M. Eagan

AL AMIRIYAH, Iraq (Sept. 14, 2005) -- Becoming a Marine is no easy task. With the longest boot camp in the U.S. Military and arguably the toughest training, Marines have distinguished themselves as America’s finest fighting force.

Some Marines further separate themselves by becoming a part of the reconnaissance community that only few of the “few” are able to join.

One of these warriors is Cpl. Brian Andrews, Iraqi Army Platoon, Echo Company, 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Marine Division.

After attending Blinn College in Brian, Texas, for two semesters, the Austin, Texas native decided he wanted to take a different route in his life.

“When I joined I was at a time in my life when I knew I wanted to do something different,” said Andrews, who serves as the assistant platoon sergeant and a vehicle commander for the IA Platoon. “After a little thought I realized, in order to get where I want to be in life, joining the Marine Corps would provide me the opportunities I needed, as well as give me a chance to serve my country.”

His initial contract was written for the nuclear, biological and chemical military occupational specialty, but Andrews was not satisfied and decided he wanted to do something more challenging.

“I slept on it for a night and went back to the recruiter and told him I wanted to do the toughest thing in the toughest branch and Marine Corps reconnaissance is it,” said the 24-year-old reserve Marine, whose unit, Charlie Company, 4th Reconnaissance Battalion based in San Antonio, is currently attached to 3rd Recon.

Graduating boot camp from Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego as series honor graduate and from the School of Infantry in 2001, Andrews went on to complete some of the toughest schools in the Marine Corps.

Andrews attended the Basic Reconnaissance Course in Coronado, Calif., where he learned land navigation, communications, amphibious operations and reconnaissance skills, among many other things.

“The school was difficult, but it made me realize that with determination combined with resilience I can do almost anything,” said Andrews.

These traits he developed from his training were tested in 2003 when he was attached to Delta Company, 4th Reconnaissance Battalion, during the initial invasion of Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

As a gunner manning an MK-19 grenade launcher, his convoy was ambushed on two separate occasions, both of which he suppressed the enemy fire with well placed rounds, resulting in a citation for a Navy Achievement Medal with a combat “V” for valor.

Upon returning from Iraq, Andrews underwent shoulder surgery and after five months of rehabilitation he was on his way to attending some of the toughest schools in the military.

The reconnaissance Marine attended Airborne Jump School beginning in Feb. 2004 at Ft. Benning, Ga., followed immediately by Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape School in Brunswick, Maine, he also received a Cold Weather Survival certificate during the SERE training due to the harsh winter climate of the region.

A few weeks later the veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom arrived at Panama City, Fla., where he attended Dive School and completed what he considered to be his favorite school of all.

As a reconnaissance Marine, Andrews believes the sacrifices he’s made have given him meaning and a clearer outlook on life.

“I realized that you enjoy life more if you don’t focus on all the petty details,” he said. “I don’t focus on the bad things and I always remember that I have a job to do. I am thankful for the opportunities the Marine Corps has given me.”

Andrews is currently on his second deployment to Iraq where his previous experience has helped him to become a knowledgeable leader within his platoon.

“He’s one of those Marines who can always do everything, no matter what is,” said Cpl. Ahrend Buchanan-Klepp, a 24-year-old machine gunner for the platoon. “He’s good because when something happens he never freaks out, he’s always calm. He’s a stand up guy and he’s the kind of guy you want watching your back.”

When he returns home, Andrews plans on spending time with his family and girlfriend in San Antonio, as well as enrolling college to work towards finishing his bachelor’s degree.

Ellie