PDA

View Full Version : Combat Engineer

matt-m
09-09-05, 05:37 PM
I'm curious as to what exactly a CE does? Are they integrated with infantry units and MEU's? Like, are they basically out there with the grunts, but with explosives etc?

This MOS sounds reaaaalllly appealing, but if I can "play" grunt at the same time, more the merrirer!

marinefamily5
09-09-05, 08:52 PM
Yes I'm a Combat Engineer by MOS. To tell you the truth about Combat Engineers we are the only other MOS that can operate and function at a grunt unit without a grunt unit being present......they call us the smart grunts because we have to do our jobs plus be able to do what the grunts to..........if there is something that the grunts can't get around then we go up and breach it ( meaning make a opening in it ) so the grunt can go thru it......

Myself there is nohting better then watching 3500 lbs of C-4 go off. you prolly know that in the marine corps there are 3 sides of the marine corps.

division, group, air wing

In division you play with explosives, in group you play with explosives alittle bit but you mainly do construction. and in the air wing all you do it is construction. myself i loved the division side of the house.

if you would like to know some more about being a combat engineer let me know

matt-m
09-09-05, 09:12 PM
Can you choose division wing etc? I'd want to be division, but is it more "needs of the Corps" :/

Also, that view as being the "smart grunts" is that what actual grunts say....or just something within the CE community?

I'd love to be a CE, but the hopes of me even having the chance to enlist is fine by me...(childhood asthma and osgood-schlatter now :()

greensideout
09-09-05, 09:19 PM
matt-m,
As was said before, you build things and you blow things up.
Think construction trades. You can learn some good skills. Carpenter, electrican, heavy equipment operator, water purification, bridge building, maintaining equipment as a mechanic and the list goes on.
When it comes to "Grunt" stuff, you will hone those skills as well.

Joseph P Carey
09-09-05, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by marinefamily5
Yes I'm a Combat Engineer by MOS. To tell you the truth about Combat Engineers we are the only other MOS that can operate and function at a grunt unit without a grunt unit being present......they call us the smart grunts because we have to do our jobs plus be able to do what the grunts to..........if there is something that the grunts can't get around then we go up and breach it ( meaning make a opening in it ) so the grunt can go thru it......

Myself there is nohting better then watching 3500 lbs of C-4 go off. you prolly know that in the marine corps there are 3 sides of the marine corps.

division, group, air wing

In division you play with explosives, in group you play with explosives alittle bit but you mainly do construction. and in the air wing all you do it is construction. myself i loved the division side of the house.

if you would like to know some more about being a combat engineer let me know

I don't know about the'Smart Grunt' bit! You guys are playing with C-4 and other exposives that have a mind and a temperment all their own, add a few mouse traps here and there, or a radio detonating device, even a sneeze at the wrong time and you get to join the Ghost Battalion! You go ahead and call that smart. I'll fight an enemy I can see and out think!

marinefamily5
09-09-05, 10:08 PM
if your know you what your doing then you have nothing to worry about hell you can set C-4 on fire and cook off it but just don't step on it then you would be in the Ghost Battalion. i have jump up and down on 1750 lbs of C-4 and nothing happened so having a mind of there own the only way anything would happen is if your the one that mess up.

MattM
you can't pick what will happen is once you get to Courthouse Bay and get start with school you do what is called a wishlist of east coast west coast or overseas. division is the best of the 3
in my opinion. with your childhood asthma i wouldn't really worry about that to much...how long ago was it. have you had any troubles sence then...........PM me and i will tell you alittle more about the stuff with your asthma.

Joseph P Carey
09-10-05, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by marinefamily5
if your know you what your doing then you have nothing to worry about hell you can set C-4 on fire and cook off it but just don't step on it then you would be in the Ghost Battalion. i have jump up and down on 1750 lbs of C-4 and nothing happened so having a mind of there own the only way anything would happen is if your the one that mess up.

Actually, I think I have mentioned cooking with C-4 and how, if the Quartermaster knew what we were doing with the C-4, they would not have given any more to us. I also mentioned that we would have to disarm our own boobie traps. Actually, we were pretty good at it. I know that when we went out to the old French Fort some clicks West out from Chu Lai, we used to encounter many of those little suckers. By the way, it is never the C-4 one must worry about, we used to walk around with that stuff hanging around our necks when we had to carry it, it is only the detonators we worried about.

mucho
10-01-05, 06:35 AM
i am a combat engineer right now... its the best mos.. as long as you stay division....