PDA

View Full Version : High and tight

splatkid10
08-30-05, 10:08 AM
does anyone know the origin of the high and tight haircut with the marine corps?

KingDonkeyPunch
08-30-05, 10:56 AM
There are many legends of how it came to be, but I cannot offer you a legit answer. All I know is that as soon as I got out of MCT, I started to get my hair done in a Medium-Low fade. It is the closest thing to a "normal", non-idiotic looking haircut you can get away with in the corps.

Phantom Blooper
08-30-05, 11:12 AM
High and tight

High and tight is a term used to denote any of several very short hair styles most commonly worn by men in military service, particularly the United States Marine Corps.

While many variations of the style exist, the one common denominator is that all of the hair is removed beneath a line that is always situated above the top of the ears. In some cases a sharp line delineates the boundary between the shaved and non-shaved areas, while in others a gradual, tapering effect (or "fade") is achieved. Sometimes a flat top is sported, with a "landing strip" exposing the skin in the center, which is occasionally extended all the way to the back of the head, creating a "horseshoe" effect. The length of the unshaved portion may also vary, but as a rule is no longer than a typical crew cut; sometimes the back and sides of the head are literally shaved with a razor (this is known as "whitewalls").

The style appears to have evolved from the mohawk hairstyle, and was adopted by the military as a tribute to the tribe's bravery. Beginning in the late 1980s, it crossed over into civilian life, being embraced first by mostly young African-American males, then spread to like-aged men in other groups; it has since gained wide acceptance throughout American society.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_and_tight"

KingDonkeyPunch
08-30-05, 12:25 PM
See, I was way off. I just imagined that like everything else, it came down from someone behind a desk with shiny stars on his collar and way too much time on his hands. Dont get me wrong, I am all for ensuring proper grooming standards and appearance are being followed by all marines. Yet, even some of the civillian clothing standards are a bit extreame. If I saw myself dressed how the Corps really wanted me to dress, I would probably kick my own @ss. Thou things could be worse, and they could make marines go out on liberty in the Service "C" uniform like they used to.