PDA

View Full Version : A.s.v.a.b.

p8ntballsnipr1
08-17-05, 09:24 PM
ive taken the practice asvabs on military.com, but is there anything else i could do to get me ready in 3 weeks??

JoeSzynal
08-17-05, 09:53 PM
Not really. From what I remember it's not really somthing you study for. Just make sure you understand the basics of manipulating (converting, adding, subtracting etc.) fractions and percentages. Taking a look at some basic electrical circutry diagrams won't hurt either.

You'll be fine. And remember, you don't need a 130 GT score to be an 0311.

Urra. Joe.

JimmyK
08-17-05, 10:36 PM
The biggest thing to do is not to freak out abut it. You only need a 30 something to get into the Corps and a 60 gets you any job you want(providing its open of course). Also ask your recruiter if he has a practice one you can take. My recruiter had two different ones on the computer, when you were done it gave you an estimated score for all of the different scores they have.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-18-05, 10:21 AM
The ASVAB really isn't all that difficult. As I remember, some of the sections seemed pretty silly, but never too hard. Of course, our entire senior class had to take the ASVAB, and I had no intentions of enlisting at that point. (I was intending to finish college, then enlist... things changed though.)

Just relax and take the test. You'll be fine.

LDO Capt
08-18-05, 02:12 PM
There is a book out, "How to take the ASVAB" simular to the SAT and ACT types but breaks down each section. I had one when I was on recruiting duty and it helped my poolees out alot. If anything else it has some practice tests that you can take to show you what the real test is like.

Good Luck

enviro
08-18-05, 06:33 PM
There is a website that is paid for by the Army but put together by Kaplan. It's called March 2 Success. Great for test prep for ASVAB, SAT, and ACT in the general subjects of math, english, reasoning, etc...

You actually learn the material through interactive video and then take a series of test.

Just make sure that you mark "I don't want an Army doggie to contact me about joining" when you register (or something to that effect).

https://www.march2success.com

p8ntballsnipr1
08-19-05, 06:52 PM
thanks Capt, Sgt, lcpl and cpl ( i got them right, right? haha)

enviro
08-19-05, 09:57 PM
Capt, Sgt, PFC and Cpl

KingDonkeyPunch
08-20-05, 04:17 AM
Yeah, the ASVAB isn't really anything to freak out about. If you can put one foot in front of the other, get dressed by yourself in the morning, and tie your own shoes, you will pass with flying colors. Just make sure you get a good breakfast in you before you take it. The body fuels the mind. Good luck.

p8ntballsnipr1
08-20-05, 07:25 PM
thnx for the correction enviro, and thanks for the help guys, im sure i wont need the luck if its as easy as u guys put it, but thanks again

WJason777
07-20-06, 03:09 AM
i scored a 35 for the Intrance Score, could someone tell me what MOS that i could sign up for other than infantry? I would like to have something where after the Marine life, i will have skills for the ouside careers.

jackson07
07-20-06, 10:01 AM
WJason please do not go around jacking peoples threads. You had your own for your question. You will not get a faster response if you keep posting your question on every thread. Have a little patience. Thank you.

p8ntball- You should do pretty well just based on prior knowledge. Like you have been told there are some resources online that you should be able to find with a basic google search, and march2success is a good site. Also check out your local public library; they should have a book or two about the ASVAB and studying for it and what not.

Good luck!

Covey_Rider
07-21-06, 08:43 AM
Everything that you're tested on in the ASVAB is basic knowledge that, if you paid attention during school, shouldn't really be a problem. I just took it about a month ago and theres basic mathematic algebra, a little general science, some physics, and mechanics as far as what tool to use with what screw etc. It's all pretty easy. My recruiters have a good luck tradition that I'll pass onto you. They gave me a red bull and green m&m's right before I took it, and I had to rub a bald guys head but that part isn't extremely necessary. It ended up working...I got a 91 and over a 120 on all seperate scores. You'll do fine, there's nothing to worry about. I never studied or anything like that, they just told me I was going to be taking it and I honestly didn't think I was ready but when I took it, it was a breeze. But yes remember...red bull and GREEN m&m's, that's the key.

jackson07
07-21-06, 11:07 AM
But yes remember...red bull and GREEN m&m's, that's the key.

I can't believe I forgot that, the most important thing to remember.:p

Brooklyn
07-21-06, 05:05 PM
i scored a 35 for the Intrance Score, could someone tell me what MOS that i could sign up for other than infantry? I would like to have something where after the Marine life, i will have skills for the ouside careers.

You should as your recruiter about this. He can tell you every job you're eligible for. If you know your composite scores you can check the requirements for the jobs here:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/marinejobs.htm

Lithium
07-21-06, 06:36 PM
When I took the test, I guessed on the mechanical and electical portions of the test. Turns out I did better on those portions than I did on the stuff I knew.

Best advice is to just use common sense.

WJason777
07-21-06, 09:57 PM
Did that really work? Red Bull and green m&ms? I should of tried that, but now its to late. If i wanna retake it i will have to wait. This guy on the other Fourms was tell me that the AFQT score have nothing to do with your jo, they only thing that matters for job selections is your Line Scores ( IE, MM,GT, CL, EL,VE) He also said you could score a 31 on the AFQT and still get any job you want as long as your line score metter the requirments

jackson07
07-21-06, 10:17 PM
WJASON- That is correct, your AFQT doesn't matter at all. Your line scores determine what MOS you qualify for.

WJason777
07-22-06, 06:26 AM
I think I should be ok then becuase I think I did really good in the Electronics part. One more other thing the recruiter said I want be able to pick my job until after Tuesday when I come back from Meps. Is this normal? Is there a way I could get him to let me choose my job befor I get sworn in? When I asked him about it he says thats how the Marines is.

WJason777
07-22-06, 06:34 AM
I just dont wanna be forced with a job that i dont wanna do.

jackson07
07-22-06, 08:29 AM
At MEPS after your physical you meet with your Marine Corps Liasion. That is where you pick your job. What you are being told is that you must sign an open contract. That is not true. You will have no job guaranteed then. When you meet with your liasion you can pick a job if it is avaible. Then you are sworn in. (Trust me I just did this June 30th). If they pressure you into going open just say you won't sign until you have a MOS field in your contract.

Brooklyn
07-22-06, 09:27 AM
I think i should be ok then becuase i think i did really good in the Electronics part. One more other thing the recruiter said i want be able to pick my job until after Tuesday when i come back from Meps. Is this normal? Is there a way i could get him to let me choose my job befor i get sworn in? When i asked him about it he says thats how the Marines is.

That is how a lot of pooles do it. I met with my recruiter yesterday so he could go over my "Welcome Aboard" package with me and I completely forgot to pick my job, lol. I'll have to remember that Monday.

jackson07
07-22-06, 10:18 AM
If you enlist with an open contract you don't ever have to have a job picked for you before you leave for boot camp. They can stick you where ever they want. I have heard that the Marine Corps is good about getting you a job that you are ok with before you leave. So if possible get your job in your contract at MEPS, otherwise try and get it done as soon as possible with your recruiter and his NCOIC.

Covey_Rider
07-22-06, 02:06 PM
When you enlist into DEP it's not an actual enlistment yet so don't worry about enlisting as open when you go into DEP. Just before you ship out for boot camp you've gotta go to MEPS again and re-do everything, you'll sign a new contract and get sworn in again. On that new contract that's where you have to make sure that your MOS is locked down. The one thing that you don't wanna do is ship out to boot camp as an open contract becuase then then Marine Corps will stick you wherever they want to. But yeah don't worry about enlisting into the DEP as open.

WJason777
07-22-06, 08:05 PM
Whats all in the Welcome Aboard Package?

jackson07
07-22-06, 09:07 PM
Lets see, the book "The Making of A Marine", a sticker, a video, a PT guidebook, a few poster type pieces of paper. I believe that is all. The book is the most important part of the package, inclosed is everything you shall need to know/should know before you ship for boot.

WJason777
07-23-06, 05:06 AM
In boot camp do you have to take any written test again?

WJason777
09-11-06, 08:57 PM
Well i got my scores back, I was wondering if someone could tell me what jobs i quaifly for
GT 98
CL 94
EL 93
SA 93
GM 95
MM 93
OF 94
SC 93
ST 93

JReid
09-11-06, 09:08 PM
I think your going about this the wrong way WJason... What interests you?What could you see yourself doing in the Marine Corps? Do you want to be in the field, behind a desk, or neither? Its your choice bro. Look over this list at the following link and see what interests you. Find a job that you think would be cool, that you could see yourself doing, and you would be happy with for 4 or more years.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marinereg/blmarineenjobs.htm

WJason777
09-11-06, 09:14 PM
I like the 40xx and the 28xx field. I am very good with computers

WhiteRabbit
09-11-06, 09:28 PM
Yes, as the others said, do what fits YOU best. Personally, I want to do 03XX (preferably either 0311 or 0351) but thats because I want to be in the front lines, have the support crewman watching my back with them big 155mm cannons!

If you like computers, definately go 40XX, 28XX, or 04XX. Either will work for you. But be sure you want to do it.

WJason777
09-12-06, 05:22 AM
Can i do that with the scores i have?

JReid
09-13-06, 08:10 PM
Talk to your recruiter about it. Write a list of the jobs you find interesting and bring them up to your recruiter. He will be able to tell you if its available.

WhiteRabbit
09-13-06, 09:41 PM
I'm sure with those scores you could do it, but like JReid said, just ask your recruiter. Also, do your own research. Look for sites that have the prerequisites you need for a certian MOS. Remember, these jobs have their good points and fall backs. Just make sure you'd enjoy doing it!