PDA

View Full Version : Corpsman sings, lends a helping hand

thedrifter
08-14-05, 07:28 AM
Corpsman sings, lends a helping hand
Submitted by: II Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD)
Story Identification #: 20058145019
Story by Lance Cpl. Joshua C. Cox

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq (Aug. 12, 2005) -- While attending high school, one corpsman here enjoyed singing in the school choir, and going to church where her father ministered. Today, she sings at the Camp Fallujah Chapel, treats patients and lends a helping hand to others who need a shoulder to lean on.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Roshun Green, corpsman and administrative chief, Fallujah Surgical Company, Combat Logistics Battalion 8, 2nd Force Service Support Group (FWD), brought her gift of music and love for others when she deployed in support of operations here.

Green said she was sociable during her childhood, and was involved in many extracurricular activities during school.

“I was always the center of attention,” she said. “I’ve always had an outgoing personality. I was in choir; I enjoyed it.”

Green said her father was a minister, and laid a strong foundation for her life while she was growing up.

“We had a biblical based upbringing,” she said.

After graduating from high school in 1994, the Dallas native decided to give college a try.

“I only went to a junior college,” she said. “I didn’t go to a university because I had never been away from home before, so I wasn’t really ready to go do the university thing.”

Green said after experimenting with college full-time, she changed her mind about what she wanted to do when a Navy recruiter came to an event at her college.

“That’s how I got into the military, because it was college day,” she said, laughing. “At the time I didn’t really have any direction.”

The music enthusiast said she lost interest while in junior college studying nursing, and decided to join the Navy for a change of pace after talking to the recruiter at the open house.

“I entered the Delayed Entry Program in March of 1995,” she said. “And then on May 29 I left [for basic training].”

After completing Navy basic training and Hospital Corps School in Great Lakes, Ill., she attended the Field Medical Service School aboard Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Up until her deployment to Iraq, Green has been stationed at Camp Lejeune, working with several units throughout her career.

“Believe it or not, I love the Marine Corps,” she said. “I haven’t worked on the real Navy side of the house. I just really love working [with] the Marine Corps. The military, just like anything, is what you make of it.”

Green has accomplished many goals since joining the Navy, and has more aspirations for the future. She has earned an associate’s degree in general studies, a bachelor’s degree in biblical studies, a master’s degree in ministry and is planning on working toward a doctorate to become an evangelist.

“I’ve been called to minister evangelism, so back in the rear I’m the youth director at my church,” she said. “When I get out of the military I want to do full-time ministry in the area of evangelism.”

Green has also mentored teenage girls through a program in Jacksonville, N.C.

“It’s kind of like the Big brother Big sister program,” she said.

The 29-year-old said she feels honored to have the opportunity to serve in the Navy, in Iraq, and at the camp chapel where she sings.

“Just being over here is a privilege; to be able to help another country get on there feet,” she said. “I have to let my light shine.”

Ellie

thedrifter
08-14-05, 01:36 PM
An afternoon at Fallujah surgical; Standing by to serve Marines
II Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD)
Story by Cpl. Ruben D. Maestre

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq (Aug. 9, 2005) -- The Navy corpsmen and doctors stood beneath a canopy at Fallujah Surgical as the afternoon Iraqi sun shined down. They had received word a Marine on patrol had been injured and was being transported to their field trauma center.

The call had been unclear about the condition of the service member. The medical staff members hoped for the best, but were prepared for the worst.

“Every time we get a call we expect the worst,” said Seaman Adam P. Wren, 22, of Pleasant Grove, Ala., and a corpsman assigned to Fallujah Surgical. “But most of the time, it’s only minor injuries.”

The medical personnel at the trauma center are attached to Fallujah Surgical Company, Combat Logistics Battalion 8, 2nd Force Service Support Group (FWD). These Sailors, comprised of corpsmen from 2nd Medical Battalion, 2nd FSSG, from Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune, N.C., and other American Naval commands throughout the world, are ready to react to any medical needs that may arise.

“We were trained as well as we could before we came [to Iraq],” said Lt. Cmdr. Micheal Euwema, a native of Grand Rapids, Mich., and an emergency medicine doctor. “But nothing beats learning from the treatment of real casualties.”

Nearly two hours after a Marine sergeant was slightly wounded, he arrived in the back of an armored Humvee vehicle.

The sergeant, a squad leader, had responded as part of a Marine quick reaction force to tips given by Iraqi civilians of possible improvised explosive devices located along a roadside.

According to his command, the patrol found one IED and had an explosive ordnance and disposal team come out to destroy it. They also tore down a fence near a road which could have been used to conceal an IED.

Unknown to them, a bomb was already attached to the fence.

The device went off, slightly injuring the sergeant on the lower part of his right leg and on his left hand.

Alert but looking fatigued, the sergeant was helped inside the camp hospital. Evaluating the patient was Wren, Petty Officer 3rd Class Rachel Kerner, 22, a trauma corpsman, and Euwema, the doctor on duty.

“We did a primary assessment,” said Kerner, a native of Connellsville, Penn. “We checked his blood pressure, pulse, exposed the patient and looked for injuries.”

Afterward the patient was examined with X-rays in order to determine if any pieces of shrapnel were inside his body. According to the corpsmen, shards of shrapnel were found in his leg, but they decided it would be more feasible to allow the body to naturally reject the fragments over time.

This is just one example of how Fallujah Surgical, using their expertise every day, medically assists those taking the fight to the enemy.

As their motto says, they “Fight for Life.”

“We want to save as many lives as possible,” said Euwema. “We want to provide a standard of care in theater that is comparable to what the troops get back home.”

Ellie

thedrifter
08-17-05, 07:59 AM
Corpsmen guide Marines down physical therapy path
MCAGCC
Story by Sgt. Jose E. Guillen

Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, Calif. (Aug. 5, 2005) -- Every day, Marines make a short walk from the parking lot to a quiet corner in the Robert E. Bush Naval Hospital, where a small team of doctors and physical therapy technicians help injured leathernecks on their path to recovery.

In a room filled with elliptical machines, stationary bicycles, a makeshift wooden staircase, therapy beds and a small television mounted on a wall where the ceiling meets the corner, corpsmen and their patients take on one obstacle at a time in hopes of returning a Marine to his unit at full strength.

“We probably see anywhere from 200 to 300 patients a week, which makes for a large patient flow,” said Petty Officer 2nd Class Zachary D. Boles, one of five hospital physical therapy technicians.

“We do our best to help better a Marine whether he sustained a combat or non-combat related injury, or simply an injury that’s developed throughout the years of just doing Marine things,” added Boles.

Considering some patients, predominantly Marines, are repeat customers, Boles and his teammates have seen an influx in combat related injured Marines.

“About 30 percent of our patients are war injuries,” said Boles. “Most of the guys who come in for physical therapy have either received a gun shot wound or were struck by an [improvised explosive device].”

“Most of the injuries are to the lower extremities, which means the Marine survived an attack because of his protective gear, but they’re returning pretty banged up,” said Lt. Cmdr. Candace Cornett, a staff physical therapist.

While three out of 10 Marines receive physical therapy for war-related injuries, the other 70 percent stem from tough training or simply a minor injury that has developed throughout a career.

“The most common problems the guys get treated for are backs, lower backs, ankles, shoulders and especially knees -- knees are very common with our grunts,” said Boles.

Although treadmills and stationary bikes may seem self-explanatory and easy for veteran patients, new patients start with “raw” therapy.

“We do a lot of manual physical therapy to improve a Marine’s range of motion with stretching exercises,” said Petty Officer 2nd Class Christopher T. White, a physical therapy technician.

“We try to decrease pain, then we move on to complete range of motion and finally work on strengthening the injured site,” added White.
Some of the methods technicians used to decrease pain or stimulate “sleeping” muscles are heat, ice, ultrasound to analyze blood flow and electrical stimulation for neuro-muscular re-education.

“We use electricity for neuro-muscular re-education, which wakes up muscles that have gotten used to not working,” said White.

White and his cohorts are eager to better Marines with tugging, pulling and stretching, but healing also depends on the motivation of the individual patient.

“Of course it also depends on the severity of an injury, but [they] have to be willing to help themselves,” said White.

Operational tempo can often be a roadblock to healing injuries because a unit may need that injured Marine to maintain manpower during field training.

“Sometimes commands don’t realize how important it is to fix an injury earlier in a career than later,” said White. “Operation tempo may cause a command to stop physical therapy, but that Marine’s minor injury will likely become a chronic injury and take longer to heal.”

One way the hospital works to bring physical therapy to the units is through a gym and pool program where technicians oversee the patients at a designated location either in the morning or afternoon.

“We’re not a large hospital, but we have everything you need and we’re making an effort to help heal Marines here and outside the hospital,” said Cornett. “We have a great relationship with all the [battalion aid stations] and commanders–Marines are never put off.”

Amid lending a helping hand to more than 200 patients a week, Combat Center patients in need of physical therapy can expect Cornett and her staff to provide the means and sometimes pain on the road to recovery.

“I love this job because it’s all about team progress and seeing our patients getting better,” said White.

“It’s the greatest feeling in the world,” said Boles. “I’m a field doc by trade, so I have to stay on the green side because I love Marines, and helping Marines is my oxygen every day.”

“It’s our job to help fix Marines so that they can continue with their units to fight and defend our country,” said Cornett, who has spent her entire 20-year career attached to a Marine Corps command.

Ellie

thedrifter
08-18-05, 07:11 AM
Minneapolis, Minn., native pounds the street providing care for 3/25
2nd Marine Division
Story by Cpl. Ken Melton

HADITHA, Iraq (Aug. 18, 2005) -- While patrolling through the streets of Iraq, Marines and sailors often find themselves under the watchful eyes of the city’s residents. One corpsman seems to receive more stares than anyone else.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Chan Vang is only 4 feet 11 inches tall. However, height does not interfere with his job as a “devil doc” with I Company, 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment.

“I feel like I work twice as hard when it comes to patrolling,” the Minneapolis, Minn., native said. “Along with the extra load I have to carry, I have to take extra steps to keep up, but it’s my choice to be here and I don’t mind.”

Vang joined the Navy in 1998 with hopes of seeing the world and helping people along the way. He got his chance when he deployed to the hostile environment of Iraq’s Al Anbar province in March 2005. He and other medical personnel have helped dozens of people including other sailors, Iraqi civilians, Iraqi soldiers, and Marines on numerous occasions.

One such occasion that he vividly remembers occured in May 2005 when a squad with Mobile Assault Platoon-7. The unit suffered losses when insurgents used a hospital as a refuge while they attacked the unit with small-arms fire and a suicide car bomb.

“It was really hard to be trying to save people who you knew on a personal level,” the 1991 North Community High School graduate said. “I knew I had to be strong for them and they knew I would do the best job I could do.”

Vang was assigned to I Company in July and began conducting patrols as part of a permanent military presence in the city of Hit. Though he is often frustrated by the enemy’s cowardice, he is still happy to be here helping the Iraqi people.

As the missions continue, Vang knows his contributions are not overlooked and by helping the people of Iraq, they can form an organized and stable nation.

He has seen fallen comrades from both services and his job as a “devil doc” requires him to fight alongside them and try to save as many lives as he can.

“They treated me like another rifleman until someone got hurt or needed help and it was my time to shine as a corpsman,” Vang said smiling. “I thank them for treating me like an equal, like a Marine, in spite of my size.”

Ellie

thedrifter
08-18-05, 01:11 PM
By the light of Dawn <br />
Former Falcon homecoming queen travels as Navy dentist <br />
This story appeared in the Antelope Valley Press on Thursday, August 18, 2005. <br />
By LT. RON FLANDERS <br />
ESG-1 Navy Public...

thedrifter
08-20-05, 07:30 AM
Corpsman saves Marine’s life after heart attack <br />
MCB Hawaii <br />
Story by Cpl. Michelle M. Dickson <br />
<br />
MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii (Aug. 19, 2005) -- “I wasn’t even supposed to be at...

thedrifter
08-22-05, 06:36 AM
Article published Aug 22, 2005
Palmetto sailor earns Purple Heart for Iraq service

Special to the Daily World PENSACOLA, Fla. - Palmetto native and 2001 North Central High School graduate Petty Officer 3rd Class Jonathan D. Bryant earned the Purple Heart on Friday during an admiral's call at Pensacola Naval Air Station.

Bryant, a hospital corpsman, received the decoration, one of the world's oldest military decorations still in use today, for injuries sustained in combat in May 2004 during his second tour of duty as a front-line Navy corpsman with the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force. He was wounded while attending to injured Marines during an elongated gun battle in western Iraq. Four Marines were killed.

This sailor's action "says a lot about the Navy and Marine Corps team," said Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Michael Mullen, who presented the Purple Heart. "There's no more responsible group, especially while in the field (with the Marines) than that of hospital corpsmen. The Marines you served with will remember you for years to come."

"I want to tell you how grateful we are that you raised your son so well," Mullen said, addressing Bryant's parents - Randy and Renee. The Bryants helped him join the Navy.

Bryant, better known as "Doc" to the more than 40 Marines in the 4th Platoon, was armed with a medical bag to administer sutures, bandages, pressure dressings or "whatever I could to keep control of their injuries" until a Black Hawk medical evacuation helicopter arrived to take them to the nearest aide station, he said.

He was armed with a 9 mm pistol and an M-16A4 rifle - like the Marines in his platoon. All total, he carried about 87 pounds of gear as the platoon patrolled.

Bryant went everywhere with the platoon. He administered medical care to the wounded and performed the missions of the platoon - including setting up observation posts, performing random vehicle and house searches - always on the lookout for anything suspicious.

"I would do everything they (Marines) would do. I'm basically a Marine with a Navy nameplate is what they used to tell me," he said. "The only difference was that I have the medical knowledge."

On May 14, 2004, the 4th Platoon, was patrolling the streets of Husaybah, Iraq, a town on the Syrian border about 250 miles from Baghdad. It was hit by an explosion and 14-hour exchange of gunfire, which resulted in casualties and injuries, including those of the Navy corpsman.

"I was in the middle of the patrol behind the first fire team when we came upon this damaged brick wall. We didn't know it ... but there was an IED (improvised explosive device) behind the wall," he said. "As we reached the wall, the IED detonated and the first fire team disappeared in ... a blanket of smoke. After the dust settled, I ran to the aid of my fellow Marines to help with their wounds and assist with medical evacuations."

Hours later, back at the base camp after reporting to his senior corpsman, was it realized that Bryant had been hit in the blast.

"I saw dried blood covering my right hand. I raised my sleeve (and) found where I was hit with shrapnel on my arm," he said. "I didn't really notice it right away. I was concerned with taking care of my Marines" - who are like family, according to Bryant.

"We all watched out for each other all the time. We'd joke around during down-time, but we'd get the job done together when we were on patrol. They were the only people you'd have to count on and trust. We didn't have anything else over there but each other," he said.

This "family" idea is what Bryant appreciates most from his Iraq deployment experience, but the harsh reality of the job at hand is a memory of a different sort.

"There were four guys I considered like family who were killed while I was there. One died as I was giving him CPR. His injuries were too much for him, and there was nothing I could do," he said.

The desire to serve on another deployment with the Marines still is with this sailor.

"Sometimes, I wonder how I'm alive ... but I thank God and know I had people praying for me; and I was praying too," Bryant said. "If given the chance to go back - I would."

Bryant is stationed at Naval Hospital Pensacola's Family Practice Clinic, and is gearing up to deploy again next month.

Ellie

thedrifter
08-26-05, 08:31 PM
Experiences in service reaffirms value of life
MCB Hawaii
Story by Cpl. Megan L. Stiner

MARINE CORPSE BASE HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii (Aug. 26, 2005) -- Each sentence uttered by the 28-year-old Iraq war veteran leads to more interesting conversation, from stories about being adopted and growing up in a family of 17, to memories of his first duty station in the Navy in a reconnaissance unit, his past is filled with experiences that have shaped him into an outgoing, life-cherishing, self-proclaimed ham.

“I am a ham,” exclaimed Petty Officer 3rd Class Brian P. Lynch, hospital corpsman, Naval Health Clinic Hawaii. “I am, I really am a ham.”

The South Pasadena, Calif. native joined the Navy more than four years ago, and has since experienced things that some will only read about or watch on TV, but even before he became a Sailor, his life was far from common.

“I grew up in a family of seventeen people,” he said, as if it were a regular-sized family. “I had nine brothers, five sisters and my parents.”

Out of the 15 children, 11 had been adopted, including Lynch.

“We were very diverse,” he said. “Growing up like that was a lesson in humility and patience, but it was a really, really good experience. Five of my siblings are from Brazil, it was great to grow up in an environment like that, with so many different walks of life.”

The humble Sailor has never found out why his biological parents put him up for adoption but admitted that he has never really pursued finding them. But, they did leave him with an interesting appearance, which he wishes to express, if possible.

“Yes, I am black with blue eyes and blonde hair,” he stated. “It is possible, and in reality not that unusual.”

Outside of home life, Lynch said he was a pretty normal Californian kid, surfing regularly, watching movies and, on occasion, reading. He said that these are the hobbies he has kept up with since he changed his course of life and joined the Navy.

His favorite book: “All Quiet on the Western Front” by Erich Maria Remarque, and his favorite movie: “History of the World Part I” by Mel Brooks, accentuate his unique personality.

Before joining the Navy, Lynch worked as a bartender, massage therapist, and attended Questa Junior College, studying general sciences with the hopes of attending medical school.

“It was a total shock to everyone when I joined the Navy,” he recalled. “My grandfather was a medic in the Army, but he was the only one who served from my family.”

Joining with the intent of being a hospital corpsman, Lynch was offered an opportunity early in his career to become a Navy SEAL, but that choice would have voided his chance to be a corpsman, so after much thought Lynch decided to pursue his initial choice and was sent to 1st Force Reconnaissance, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

“Working with Marines has been nothing but a positive experience,” he said.

Aside from serving his country, surfing, and entertaining himself with novels and films, Lynch also enjoys hiking, fishing, scuba diving, playing the ukulele, and going out to bars with friends.

But, he explained, he is careful not to let those activities take away from the things that are most important to him: his family, not wanting to let anyone compromise his morals and, eventually, not dying with any regrets.

“Life is really, really precious,” he said. “It seems like too many people take that for granted. If I could reach out and help people understand life more, I would tell them to cherish family, cherish friends, and cherish the life you live.”

For individuals who served in combat zones, many have witnessed, firsthand, friends and fellow service members getting injured. While Lynch was deployed to Fallujah, Iraq, with 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay, his lifesaving training was put to the test during one of those unforgettable experiences.

“One of the Marines sustained an injury to his femoral artery and was bleeding out. I applied a tourniquet and kept pressure on his leg. Once we got him into the Humvee, I kept applying treatment, and he ended up being OK,” he explained.

“I know I was just doing my job,” he said humbly, “but I saved his life in the process, and that is something I can take with me for the rest of my life.”

One of Lynch’s most exhilarating experiences also took place in the city of Fallujah when he was given the opportunity to enter a building as the point man — a risky position for any service member in a combat zone.

“Serving in Iraq increased how much I remember to never take life for granted,” he said.

Lynch said his future is still up in the air. There is the possibility of becoming a biomedical technician diver for the Navy or a Honolulu firefighter.

“I want to stay in Hawaii. I love it here!” he exclaimed enthusiastically. “But I have three more years where I am right now, so I have a while to figure out what I am going to do.”

According to Lynch, he would like the opportunity to serve with Marines again somewhere down the line.

“Being a corpsman in an infantry unit was a great experience,” he said. “Anyone who thinks that a corpsman in a grunt unit is not an adopted Marine is fooling himself.”

From the experience of traveling to six foreign countries to his undecided future goals, Lynch has led a life some would describe as out of the ordinary, but he admitted that he wouldn’t change a thing.

“I am happy with the life I have led, and I haven’t taken it for granted yet,” he said. “I had no expectations when I joined the Navy, and I have accomplished every obstacle that has been set in front of me. All I have to do is look forward to the future and have a good time with what life throws at me.”

Ellie

thedrifter
09-02-05, 12:27 PM
3/4 turns corpsmen into FMF warriors
2nd Marine Division
Story by Lance Cpl. Paul Robbins

FALLUJAH, Iraq (Sept. 2, 2005) -- Sitting just above the left breast pocket, symbolizing the connection of corpsmen and Marines, the Fleet Marine Force Warfare Device is a coveted award amongst the Navy’s hospital corpsmen.

In the six and a half months that 3rd Battalion, 4th Marines, Regimental Combat Team-8, has been here, 41 corpsmen and one religious programs specialist from the battalion have earned the right to wear the device.

With the intensive study and frequent classes required to earn the pin, all while working in a combat zone, this is no small feat for the sailors of the battalion.

“This is a tremendous accomplishment,” said Chief Petty Officer Maurice Wilson, 43-year-old senior medical department representative for the battalion.

To achieve Fleet Marine Force qualification, prospective sailors must demonstrate the fundamentals of Marine Corps history, communications, weapons systems, ground combat, land navigation and numerous other Marine Corps and combat related topics. The knowledge is demonstrated through the completion of an instructional booklet which requires an 80 percent or above score on a written exam and passing a practical application exam to demonstrate proficiency in the learned skills.

“It takes hundreds of hours of hands on training and study time to prepare for these exams,” said Petty Officer 1st Class Kirk P. Hendges, 32-year-old leading petty officer for the battalion.

Along with the problem of finding the time between operations for study and classes, rotating corpsmen in and out of the line companies for the training also made the process extremely difficult.

However, the staff of the battalion was more than willing to work with the sailors in getting it done, according to Hendges, a native of Manistee, Mich.
“If it wasn’t for the support of the battalion leadership, we wouldn’t have had this much success,” Hendges said.

With battalion support, sailor driven study groups, and Marine support for classes, more than 75 percent of the battalion’s sailors earned their FMF qualification during this deployment.

The battalion sees the high rate of qualification as a reflection of the sailors’ commitment to the team, according to Wilson, a native of Wilmington, N.C.

“Considering the environment we’re in, I’m very happy with the results,” Wilson said. “It shows you how dedicated they are to the Navy/Marine Corps team.”
Although the individual sailors are proud of the group’s achievement, the biggest reward for their efforts is the message sent to their fellow sailors who work with the “Big Navy”, according to Seaman Adam Mora, a 20-year-old hospital corpsman with the battalion.

“In a way it separates us,” said Mora, a native of Pomona, Calif. “It let’s the rest of the Navy know who’s been with the Marines.”
The battalion hopes to qualify the remaining 13 corpsmen upon their return to Marine Corps Air Ground Task Force Training Command Twenty-nine Palms, Calif.

Ellie