PDA

View Full Version : MSG Duty early in your career?

Accord
06-21-05, 05:34 PM
MSG Duty is something that I really want to do while in the Corps, and I was just reading the MSG BN website and it says that squared away PFC's with 1 year TIS can actually do MSG Duty now. I always hear that a good Marine is a well rounded Marine, and I also always hear that MOS credibility is very important.

I was just wondering, what are the downsides or negative effects of a Marine who is a PFC that does MSG Duty early in their career without any true "MOS credibility".

Also, how would doing MSG Duty early in your career as a PFC effect promotions and whatnot since promotions up to LCpl are automatic? Would the extra promotion points basically be tossed out the window?

Thanks
John

iowasurfer2
06-21-05, 08:37 PM
If you are truly "Squared Away" you will not be a PFC after 1 year TIS. You will have been meritoriously promoted to Lcpl before that. But all that aside, the reason they require a Marine to have 1...

Accord
06-21-05, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I've actually never had a drink in my life, so I guess i'm good to go on that side of things.

Joseph P Carey
06-21-05, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Accord
Thanks for the reply.

I've actually never had a drink in my life, so I guess i'm good to go on that side of things.

:-) You sure are young are you not?

You will be surprised at what will happen, and how much you will change in your first year in the Corps. The friends you make will be not near like the friends you have had before.

Marines come from all different backgrounds and educational ranges, all different creeds of religion, and all different manner of race. A person's strata of society will make no difference in the Marines.

You may see politics at work in the Corps, but say nothing, and watch and learn.

You may be the most squared away man in the unit, but you may never rise above the second rifleman in the fireteam. Expectations may go by the wayside like the runs on a picket fense, It will be up to you to keep your head in the game, when disappointments come and go, and it is usually the person that knows all about everything that goes nowhere.

The best advice to give a young Marine is to be as completely in the dark as everyone else, and to let the Professionals teach you their way without comment from you. Input and knowledge are useful, but wait your turn, and with experience and patience, your time will come to shine.

Good luck young Recruit!

CAR
06-22-05, 01:00 AM
Don't concern yourself too much on whether you'll be "salty" or not. If your squared away and given the opportunity to represent the Corps and our country abroad, you will be trained to do your job proficiently. Sure it is nice to have some fleet time but you'll catch on quick if you get there. Good luck!

Joseph P Carey
06-22-05, 03:01 AM
With all due respect Recruit, A little history of Marines and US Embassy work.

Embassy work was rather safe work up until 1971, when 3 Marine Security Guards were killed and 1 was wounded during a Terrorist attack on a US Embassy softball game, Phnom Penh, Cambodia (Sept. 26, 1971). Things like that just did not happen before that, least wise, where they went after the Marine Guard staff, before that date, I find very no serious occurrences of the Marines being targeted by bombers and terrorists, but word spreads rather fast in the terrorist Community, and there was no retaliation by the USA for this attack, so it was written in the Terrorist Tactic Book as an excellent use of their energy.

When Marine Security Guard, Sidney T James, was wounded during an attack by a radical communist group in the Philippines, at the U.S. Embassy, Manila, Philippines, 1972, the trend to kill US Marines at US Embassies was well into a tactical stage by then. Two Marines from Marine Security Detachment, Saigon, were killed during an intentional artillery attack by the NVA while the Marines were providing security for Defense Attache Office, at Tan Son Nhut Airport, Saigon, Republic of Vietnam, 29 April 1975.

This tactic was picked up by the Muslim Fundamentalists, that watched the Vietnam War with great interest, and when a U.S. Embassy Marine security guard was wounded in Kabul, Afghanistan, Aug. 7, 1978, and a U.S. Embassy Marine security guard was wounded in Beirut, Lebanon, Oct. 6, 1978, finally, it was open season on US Embassies in the Middle East and Central Asia, and the world for that matter.

We all remember when SGT Garry Downey and SGT Kraus were wounded by Iranian guerillas during attacks on U.S. Embassy, Tehran, Iran, 11 and 14 Feb. 1979, and the Communists were not about to allow this tactic to go unused, where they could take shots at the symbol of the USA, both the US Embassies and the US Marines. What a propaganda coup for them. Than it began in earnest, Leftist protesters attempted to storm U.S. Embassy, San Salvador, El Salvador, 30 Oct. 1979 wounding 2 Marines, with little fear of US retaliation.

Marine Security Guard CPL Steven Crowley killed by sniper fire during attack by a mob on US Embassy, Islamabad, Pakistan, 21 Nov. 1979; Three US Marines were wounded in a terrorist attack, Costa Rica, 17 Mar 1981; U.S. Embassy Marine security guard wounded, Beirut Lebanon, 7 Jun 1982; Terrorist bombing of US Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon, Casualties included eight Marine Security Guards, 18 Apr. 1983; and, CPL Guillermo Sanpedro killed in terrorist attack, Cyprus, 23 Oct. 1983.

The attacks got worst. Four Marine security guards were wounded in terrorist bombing
of US Embassy Annex, East Beirut, Lebanon, 20 Sep. 1984; Off-duty Marines assigned to Marine Security Guard Detachment, San Salvador, El Salvador, were killed by terrorists armed with automatic weapons at a cafe in the Zona Rosa district of San
Salvador, 19 June 1985.

The list keeps going on: Terrorist bombing of US Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya, 7 August 1998, Marine security guard Sgt. Jesse Aliganga killed and one Marine guarded was wounded.

Maybe, it is a lot of glamour to wear the Dress Blues and to be seen by the people of the world as a symbol of the USA, but remember, you will have to stand there at attention, as a target, with orders to not return fire. Welcome to Embassy Duty, it is not for the light hearted.

KingDonkeyPunch
06-22-05, 03:18 AM
I am currently on MSG duty, and also in Australia. I know what temptation you are talking about. Dont do it early in your career. Get a good taste of the fleet, and decide if you really like the corps or not. Then when you become an NCO in a few years, get on the program as a re-enlistment bonus or something. The school to come out here is rough, and you spend long hours getting ready for exams. You better be in great shape too, or else you will get sent home early. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.