PDA

View Full Version : shaving in basic?

techmarine
06-10-05, 08:56 PM
im going to MEPS in a few weeks to have all my testing done. im perfectly healthy and all, except for my acne- its completely under control and doenst get in the way of any uniform even at its worse....which gets pretty bad. i am subject to ingrown hairs when i shave with a fixed blade. when i shave with an electric razor, i have no problem at all, even with the closest electric shave. also, i somewhat need a benzoyl peroxide soap to wash my face afterwards. as long as i do that, the infection is completely under control (and matter of fact, completley gone now)

im just afriad that when i get to basic, and i start shaving with the fixed blades that it may get pretty bad again and itll cause problems. the only problem it causes, is it gets disgustingly ugly to look at (its not typical acne, its cystic acne on my neck). i read about regulations and everything for acne, and only found that its disqualifying if it gets in the way of anything and cant be controlled with anything that wont hinder performance or anything...which BP doesnt do

also, its been some time since i shaved with a fixed blade so im not completley sure if im still subject to that problem. when i go to MEPS should i mention about my problem when it comes to shaving? or should i just try and clear it up as much as possible and hope that it doesnt get TOO bad in the 12 weeks?

btw- no im not saying i want to look like a model or anything. i just know that looking professional and clean is a big thing in the marines, and i want to make sure that staff infections from shaving wont give me hell from anyone while there. i know how to completely eliminate once i get out of basic

pretty much- is there any information i can get on hygeine care for men (ie, what type of products they use?). i wanna possibly get that stuff and try it out for some time to make sure that i wont have any problems and possibly go to MEPS after been using it for some time so they can see how ill be

i know air force/army/navy allow you to use ur own hygein products...couldnt find jack on marines when it comes to basic

JoeSzynal
06-10-05, 09:45 PM
Tech you will be shaving with a fixed blade. Any hygene products you bring will be tossed out. If you are shipping to San Diego MCRD you will be issued a gilette mach 3 razor with gilette gel.

Oh ya, and you'll have about 30 seconds to shave.

Don't worry about the acne. We had a kid in my platoon with some pretty serious acne. Doesn't matter. It's not gonna bother anybody. Even when you're in the chowhall, you are looking directly at your tray, not anybody else.

GySgtRet
06-10-05, 09:59 PM
techmarine,
I would be prepared to see your family doctor on this. You will probably be evaluated closely as there are more than likely scares showing on your neck area. One thing you want to avoid is getting an infection that won't heal (such as a staph infection). If I may make a suggestion try shaving with the same thing that JoeSzynal suggests that is issued to you at the Recruit Depot. Then try shaving with it in small areas at first. My suggestion is to toughen up the areas a little bit at a time. When are you looking to ship to recruit traing? And where are you going for recruit training if you know? If you go to Parris Island South Carolina you will find it hot and very humid. If you go to San Diego you will find it hot and dry. These factors could determine how this will affect your condition. Generally if you are west of the Mississippi you will go to San Diego. If you are east you will go to Parris Island. Unless you are what is called a favorite son which eqautes to a close member of your family that served in the Marine Corps and was honorably dischared, and that point you may request the depot to go to recruit training.

techmarine
06-10-05, 10:11 PM
im going to PI. i have yet to enlist, but plan on doing so in a few weeks. i have no infection at all right now as i got it completely under control. i have been to a derm about it and she simply said to use OTC benzoyl peroxide and an electric razor. miraculously, my face is almost completely smooth and the redness/scars go away by the day. SO, there is no infection right now...at all. im just afriad that when i switch back to a fixed blade (mach3...ive used it before) that itll come back. the only fixed blade i used that didnt cause trouble too much was Bump Fighter. should i mention ANY of this at all at MEPS? or should i just keep my mouth shut and only answer questions they ask about it?

itd be pretty ****ty if i cant fight for my country just cuz i dont look pretty for 13 weeks

GySgtRet
06-10-05, 10:16 PM
techmarine,

You are in a tough spot. I can't tell you not to say anything at the MEPS. Neiither should a recruiter. It would be a tavesty not to be able to serve, I understand that. Will you try what I suggested and get the Mac 3 razor and try it. You do have a little bit of time to experement with it.

techmarine
06-10-05, 10:40 PM
i mean, when i originally started getting the inflamation, it got its worse at about 6 months after it started...which even then, it wasnt in the way of any uniform things...i was just wondering if i would get **** in basic from DI's or anyone for letting it develope

GySgtRet
06-10-05, 11:01 PM
techmarine,

I am not sure that I know what your saying here? There are daily health and comfort inspections by the Drill Instructors. If anything shows up they will know about it. The drill instructors may even have a way to deal with it if it occurs. I know for a fact that you will not be able to take an electric razor.

techmarine
06-11-05, 12:20 AM
i was generally just wondering how they deal with the situation should it occur. but thanks tho, my ? was answered already with the type of razor they use

CrazyBrave83
06-11-05, 08:42 AM
The way they'll deal with it is in typical Drill Instructor manner. Cold, Callous, and to the point. So if you're wondering if they may nickname you due to it, or give you a hard time...it's very possible they will.

That said, don't worry too much about shaving. Even kids who had perfect babyfaces would come out of the head bleeding like stuck pigs for the first week. Our Drill Instructors would give us somewhere in the ballpark of 2 minutes to S***,Shower, and Shave. With 60 recruits, doing such in an organized fashion is nearly impossible.

Just stay the course. If in your heart you believe that it wont hinder you, go for it. Momentary discomfort and ridicule is not a hindrance, it's just an inconvenience.

Hang in there.

iowasurfer2
06-11-05, 08:17 PM
Look, don't volunteer any information to the people at MEPS, their sole job is to Disqualify you, to "screen you out". If it were something like asthma, or a heart murmer, then I would say you need to be up front. But acne, come on? But DON'T EVER mention it to your DI's or ask if you can use an electric razor, or anything like that. If it flares up on you and you need to see a doctor, by all means do. But don't make an issue out of it. One more thing to think about. You will be in a hot, humid swampy area, and at times will be very dirty, wearing oily camoflauge paint on your face, etc. and shaving with a razor every day. You need to be honest with yourself, and decide if your skin is going to hold up to that. Like the Gunnery Sergeant said, you are going to be subject to a health and comfort inspection (standing on line in your tighty whiteys while a DI looks over your body) You won't be able to hide anything. I'm behind you, but be smart. Good luck.

Old Marine
06-12-05, 08:24 AM
techmarine:

Don't worry about it until the DI tells you to get your bucket and razor and report to the Duty Hut.

He will then have you place said bucket over your head, place razor in hand and then give the following commands:

Stationary double time, March.

Commence shaving.

0300poolee
06-12-05, 10:28 AM
hey "techmarine" just a little hint: the Marine Corps does not have basic training, it can be called bootcamp or Recruit Training, the Corps is also the only branch of military service that has a "bootcamp".