PDA

View Full Version : question about nam

devildog4ever
06-05-05, 01:33 PM
I know this is way off main subject for deppers but could those who are nam Marines tell me what exactly is a forward firebase and its purpose

thanx

jinelson
06-05-05, 05:03 PM
The only stupid question is the one not asked Poolee. I spent a bit of time on an Army Fire Support Base in Nam called FSB Birmingham. It was basically a hill which was the higest in the valley and provided a 360 degree view of the entire valley and was right next to the perfume river in the Hue Phu Bai area at the mouth of the Ashau Valley. The army had M60 tanks and 155 mm and 175mm dug in all around this hill and could easily deliver their love and affection anywhere they wanted all around the valley. MASS-3 MACG-18 had an ASRT there to control bombs and close air support from above. Heres the text book definition: fire base (FB) - 1. An area used during air assault operations from which a unit is moved via helicopters and supports the air assault operation's main effort with direct or indirect fires. 2. An area in hostile or insurgent territory which has a 360-degree defense and which supports combat patrols or larger operations with combat support and combat service support assets. (See also echelonment.) See FM

Jim :marine:

devildog4ever
06-05-05, 05:08 PM
thanx for all your info