PDA

View Full Version : Proud new DEPer!

prodigydeper
06-27-02, 03:00 PM
I've been wanting to join the Marine's for years and, thanks to a buddy of mine who just shipped off for Navy boot dragging me into the Marine recruiting office a few weeks ago, here I am. Thanks Mike, luv ya forever bud! I'm leaving for MEPS tonight and after that... I'm thrilled. Not entierly sure what to expect tomorrow but... it's all good. Being a Marine is what I've always wanted and I can't wait. Anyway, I just joined the site too so I thought I'd introduce myself and everything. Hi, I'm me. :) Oh, and anyone have any info you can give about what exactly takes place at MEPS? Is it just like a sports physical or is there more to it?

Semper Fi!
Jennifer, proud new DEPer (after tomorrow anyway)

USMC0311
06-27-02, 03:16 PM
Welcome Patroit.
If you haven't picked a MOS yet..I suggest 0311, grunts have more fun than any other Marines. Only down side might be is, you get dirty alot and life is steady PT.. All things considered, I would do my active time the same as I did. Good Luck.

Gary
06-27-02, 03:18 PM
prodigydeper, you are soon to be joining the biggest fraterinty this world has ever know, you've come to the right place to ask your questions, so don't be afraid to ask any question, no matter what, we'll see if we can answer them for you to the best of our ability.

prodigydeper
06-27-02, 03:32 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes! I do have one question. Well, two actually.

First, what's the best thing to do to get ready for boot camp? I'm fairly fit and everything, but my endurence for running and such is horrible. I'm worried. I mean, I know I can hack anything they can throw at me in boot camp but being prepaired is always a good thing and I'm pretty sure I'm not as of right now.

Second, USMC0311 suggested picking 0311 for MOS? Erm, what is it?

Thanks again!

prodigydeper

Gary
06-27-02, 03:57 PM
ok so you say your in fairly good shape, that's good but you might want to start an exercise program such as doing sit ups pushup, i'd say pull up to but not sure if they make you do those now or if they still have you do the dead arm hang, either way they can't hurt you in the long run, as far as running goes start out at a mile long run and eventually work your way up to 3 miles ask your recruiter if you can get a copy of the general orders, the rank structor and read anything you can your hands about Marine Corps customs and history your recruiter can probably help you out with that last part, as for what is a 0311 that's infantry, otherwise known as the Grunts, I hope that I answered some of your questions for you. you might want to talk to LadyLeatherneck she can tell you more about what you can expect in Boot camp as a WM than I can.

TeufelHunden
06-27-02, 04:03 PM
...Thanks for that. Just spit my Dew all over my 'puter. 0311 might be a tough sell for the young lady.

Good luck at MEPS prodigydeper. Once you get you MOS figured out, I'm sure one of us here will be able to give you a better idea what to expect.

USMC0311
06-27-02, 05:11 PM
hmmmm.. didn't C no gender indication. sorry .. guess if U A Girl. U won't get a chance 2 B A 0311. I'm sure U will find exciting things to do in other Military Occupational Speciality.
Good Luck. Think I will refrain from posting info 4 civilians.
Again I Apoligize 4 my input.

wrbones
06-27-02, 05:20 PM
Something about Belleau Woods....(Told you guys I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimesLOL)

Hey, Prodigy. Good choice. Marines are the only way to go. It's a life of sacrifice, gamesmanship, and nobility. Nothing will prepare you for it. The knowledge and physical aspects are a bit different. Surf the net, lots of sites out there. Be discreet. Think before you ask. You've done well in your approach here. I commend you for that. You've definitely got the makings, lady. Official US Marine site will have a good bit of what you ask. Ask us all the questions you want. Someone around here will have an answer. We even have a couple of DI's running around. Oh, by the way. For my money Air Wing is the only way to go! Why hump it when you can fly? ;) The medical physical will be a bit more intense than a athletic physical for school. Relax and enjoy. Do a bit of cramming on your math and english skills also. There'll be a lot of other stuff on the test, like pattern recognition and "what's this tool. or this object" sort of thing too. Combination general knowledge and I.Q. test. Determines which MOS you get to choose from. I'd do it all the same way but better if I had the chance to do it all over again. Get a good grounding in Marine Corps history, also, including Medal of Honor winners. Throw in some basic tactics and the Marine Corps recommended reading list and you'll be set. Way ahead of the rest. Lot's of stuff to learn, huh? That's why we are the best. We've all been there and by God finished it. Good luck, little lady. You'll do fine.

wrbones
06-27-02, 05:27 PM
Come on by the chat room. Kinda like the barracks in some ways. Might learn something, too, if ya can stick around long enough. Kick back and see what's going on while you're doing all that studying and reading and all! See ya there, kiddo.

TeufelHunden
06-27-02, 05:36 PM
...No need to apologize brother! I'm just giving you some **** Marine.

thedrifter
06-27-02, 05:54 PM
Joe there is no need to apologize...................
You are a True Grunt...............
I supplied you with good working Comm equipment and you covered my "6".
We are a team, we were then and we still are now......
Always remember we are Marines, Brothers and Friends, we have a bond that only we understand.....................
Semper Fi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"ONCE A MARINE.............ALWAYS A MARINE"

Sempers,

Roger

PS: Next time put your reading glasses on.......LMAO

wrbones
06-27-02, 09:20 PM
You ain't sh!tt!n' me, bro. I know yer smarter than I am. It's all I can do to keep up ! LOL

USMC0311
06-27-02, 09:44 PM
hmmm Bones..I'd take that as a compliment Bro, but will worry what U got in store 4 me ;)

LadyLeatherneck
06-28-02, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by prodigydeper
Thanks for all the welcomes! I do have one question. Well, two actually.

First, what's the best thing to do to get ready for boot camp? I'm fairly fit and everything, but my endurence for running and such is horrible. I'm worried. I mean, I know I can hack anything they can throw at me in boot camp but being prepaired is always a good thing and I'm pretty sure I'm not as of right now.

Second, USMC0311 suggested picking 0311 for MOS? Erm, what is it?

Thanks again!

prodigydeper

Prodigy don't worry about your endurance for running. You'll do fine. I thought I was pretty fit when I went to bootcamp because I had been
playing basketball since 6th grade but there's several things I wasn't
able to do when I got there. I think my biggest challenge was climbing
the rope. I wasn't a good long distance runner either but your DI's
will see your weak points and make sure you're up to par. They
had me doing push-ups left and right and by the 3rd week of
bootcamp I was the fastest recruit to complete the Obstacle course.
I climbed that rope faster than a monkey. The running part was a
piece of cake too. You just have to mentally prepare yourself, and
don't quit or fall behind. I not only had to run, I had to run with
the darn Guide-on and I did fine. It's all mental, MIND OVER MATTER!

Oh and an 0311 MOS is infantry. Won't apply to you as a female.
I really suggest you get an MOS that will help you get a good job
out in the real world if you decide not to make the Marine Corps a
career.

STAY MOTIVATED! Ooh-Rah 4th Battalion!