PDA

View Full Version : Marines transitioning to other services...?

Patrick8605
05-19-05, 11:32 AM
I have been reading a book about a former Marine who got out of the Corps and when into the Air Force. He became a PJ. I was wondering if this happenes offten and how that whole process works? thanks in advance.

Patrick-

USMCgrunt0331
05-19-05, 12:26 PM
Happens quite a bit, its more common i think though for people coming from other branches into the Marine Corps. The thing about the Marine Corps is if u decide to switch branches, you don't have to go to boot camp again for that branch. But, any other branch wanting to come into the Marines does still have to attend our bootcamp. I guess they figure if your good enough for the Marines, your good enough for anybody else (Duh)

My opinion on this is: why would u switch from the Corps to another branch? Why not just join the branch you want to be in? Theres no way I could go to an inferior branch now after being used to the high standards and awesome degree of discipline in the Corps, I'm to used to being part of the best, which is the Marines.

Ed Fleming
05-19-05, 01:24 PM
One of my boot camp friends spent ten years in the Corps and got out. Twelve days later, he was in the air farce and spent eighteen years there, retiring as a first sgt. He told me that he was asked many times which service was the toughest and he stated that without a doubt, it was the air farce, because in the Corps, you knew who was the leader and in the air farce, you never knew what brown nose could get you into trouble.

cowgurl_Marine
05-20-05, 10:01 AM
My cousin who is in Iraq at the moment. Is thinking about after he gets back from his thrid ture in Iraq He is goin to join the ARMY!. They have promised him that he will not have to go back to war for three years.....Do you really think that is going to happen. by the way my cousin is a Marine.

Semper FI!

Poolee Raff

USMCgrunt0331
05-20-05, 10:15 AM
No I don't believe that at all

cowgurl_Marine
05-20-05, 10:22 AM
U talking about My post USMCgrunt0331

USMCgrunt0331
05-20-05, 10:57 AM
yes, the Army is full of crap, look at the news, they are so jacked up their quitting recruiting for one whole day just to try to get their recruiters squared away again b/c of all there lying and cheating, false diplomas, urine kits and promises of huge bonuses.

cowgurl_Marine
05-20-05, 11:34 AM
Yeah I know it is alot of crap. And all you hear about now is that the Army females are the ones to get discharged anymore. You really don't hear about Female Marines getting Discharged because...

Kaziganthi
05-20-05, 01:53 PM
Yeah the army recruiter at my school was and is full of crap...I caught him up in one of his lies and then I enlisted in the Corps... He lied about me being able to do just about any job I wanted to with a 88 ASVAB score... He said I had very few choices on jobs and most of em were infantry or some BS job I didn't want. (I asked a family friend who is an army recruiter In the same 100 mile area about what jobs were open and he said a whole lot b/c the year had started over and the qoutas on jobs had restarted, or something like that.) Then I looked at the bonus I was being offered was less than my friend who made a 47...

ARMY recruiters= crap to me at this point in my life...

iowasurfer2
05-21-05, 08:19 PM
There is no one that can promise you whether you will go to war or not, especially a recruiter. Everything is based on the needs of the service. Look at the fine print on the back of your enlistment contract (never bothered to read that, huh?) I believe it is item 9.J) You may be assigned to an occupational specialty completely unrelated to the one for which you have been trained. = NEEDS OF THE CORPS. When it comes to national security, it doesn't matter who promised you what, your going where they need you to do whatever it is they need you to do......and you will like it. Look how few people knew about item 12.A - In a time of declared war or event of national emergency, you may be involuntarily extended 6 months or until the end of the conflict, whichever is longer. So, poolee, if anyone ever promises you anything, ask to see it in writing. If they can't show it to you in black and white, it's not true. (I was a recruiter, I know)

THATFEMALE
05-21-05, 10:25 PM
Excuse me for being blunt but why in the crap would you get out of the Corp and join another branch? That has to be one of the dumbest things you could ever do. Semper FI! My Sgt. is right. The needs of the Corp as well as the military in general come first. Guide tell your cousin that I'll gladly assume his duties. OOHRAH! Moto. Get Some! :marine:

rotc4not
06-12-07, 10:48 PM
In certain cases, it is conceivable for someone to want to switch from one branch of service to another. I have been researching different MOS's, both Marine Corps and Army. I already know I'm going into the Corps for my first enlistment but because of my height (5' 0"), I can not be an MP in the Corps. The Marines have a minimum height requirement where as the Army and Air Force do not. Military Police was my first choice MOS but I will have to "tough it out" (in a good way) with a far more superior and hard core service until I am able to transfer over to Army for Military Police. Reason being is that I'm looking for a career in law enforcement and Military Police is the way I would like to gain my first experience as a law enforcer. Oohrah!

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-13-07, 01:29 AM
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

For what its worth you don't need to be an MP to become a cop and the Army rules say you'll have the MOS that you had in the Marine Corps unless that MOS is not available in the Army. (or at least they did about 18 months ago) If you want to be an Army MP you'd be best served by starting there.

And, if the AF dropped the color vision requirement for PJs I would be at their indoc next week- so I can understand where the original poster was coming from.

chili77bowl
06-13-07, 05:10 PM
Reason being is that I'm looking for a career in law enforcement and Military Police is the way I would like to gain my first experience as a law enforcer. Oohrah!

Most PD's that I have spoken to about joining after I get out said that they prefer grunts than MP's.

Grunts already know how to shoot, and don't have to be retrained on the paperwork and ways of doing things...

don't know how much of that is Bull...but it makes me glad that I started out as an 03 anyways....

Zulu 36
06-13-07, 06:35 PM
Most PD's that I have spoken to about joining after I get out said that they prefer grunts than MP's.

Grunts already know how to shoot, and don't have to be retrained on the paperwork and ways of doing things...

don't know how much of that is Bull...but it makes me glad that I started out as an 03 anyways....
It's mostly bull. Most PDs will look upon an MP as being a touch ahead of the rest. We went over this on another thread a month or so ago, but evidently a FEW PDs do not like former MPs. I've personally never known one. Grunts are happily accepted too if they meet all other qualifications.

Yes, MPs have to adapt to a new system, new laws, but many, many, make the transition very easily. MP schools do not qualify as police academies in most states, so you would still have to attend an academy. This takes care of much of the transition problem. The agency FTO program takes care of most of the remainder.

I did pretty well in civilian law enforcement as a former Marine MP. I was a federal cop for five years then went to a 56-sworn officer municipal agency near Detroit. I went from patrol officer to deputy chief in less than 15-years. I made corporal in less than six-years (five was the minimum to test). I was the most junior officer ever promoted under the existing civil service promotion rules (over 50-years old at the time) and I was the most junior deputy chief ever promoted.

At the same time I was a security police senior NCO in the Michigan Air National Guard.

Not bad for a Jarhead.

Zulu 36
06-13-07, 07:15 PM
In certain cases, it is conceivable for someone to want to switch from one branch of service to another. I have been researching different MOS's, both Marine Corps and Army. I already know I'm going into the Corps for my first enlistment but because of my height (5' 0"), I can not be an MP in the Corps. The Marines have a minimum height requirement where as the Army and Air Force do not. Military Police was my first choice MOS but I will have to "tough it out" (in a good way) with a far more superior and hard core service until I am able to transfer over to Army for Military Police. Reason being is that I'm looking for a career in law enforcement and Military Police is the way I would like to gain my first experience as a law enforcer. Oohrah!
Yep, you can switch. I went from the Marines into the Air National Guard. But, I happened to be in a unit that was much like the Marines in esprit d'corps. We worked hard, took our business seriously, and played hard. We were very unlike most Air Force security police units. Some places had a hard time adjusting to us.

Not every Marine who switches is happy. I retired after Desert Storm because I did not want to serve in a combat zone again with active duty AF people.

Now, rotc4not, you seem like a nice person. However, I will give you some advice based on 25-years of law enforcement experience in the military and civilian world, including much time as a firearms and defensive tactics instructor. You will not like it.

You are too small to be an effective police officer. You will be a target and will force your partners to worry more about you than they should have to when the sh*t hits the fan. Or they will worry about themselves too much out of concern you won't be able to help them.

I have served with and worked with many female officers. I highly respect and would work with several of them at any time. But, they are larger females and stronger. The smallest, effective, female officer I worked with was 5' 5" and weighed 140-lbs of solid muscle (although no one ever believed she weighed that much on her frame until she stood on a scale). She was tough physically, lifted weights for strength, and had a tough mental attitude to boot. The other gals were bigger.

I have seen female officers, your size, with good attitudes and a can-do spirit starting out, but they lost all of that after about the third serious ass-beating they took and male partners had to bail them out. They just didn't pack enough strength and weight to allow their training to be effective.

They either quit, injured too severely to continue working, or if they were lucky enough to be on a bigger PD, got transfers to inside jobs. Getting those inside jobs p*ssed off the older male officers looking for a soft job for a couple of years before retirement because they hogged the slots. Not conducive to a happy work place.

MPs, in the field, end up carrying near as much as a grunt. Can you carry 35-50lbs (or more) all day, plus run, fight, and shoot with all of that crap on? Many men cannot.

Perhaps a job in criminalistics, crime lab scientist, or some other similar positions would suit you perfectly as size doesn't matter near as much. But police departments start you on the street and a lot of sheriff's departments start you in the jail. Tiny people are targets in those environments.

You can call me sexist all you want perhaps, but the truth is the truth.

chili77bowl
06-13-07, 07:34 PM
Zulu...
Dude,

Thanks for setting me straight...learn something new everyday...

I really appreciate it...

btrogu
06-13-07, 09:06 PM
I had a Army recruiter at the School I work at in Asbury Park talking to the kids. Said he couldn't find one kid to qualify for the Army.We got talking and when I told him I was a former Marine, he started promising me a MP slot, a rank promotion and other stuff.

Sgt D
06-13-07, 10:15 PM
I have a friend who spent 4 years USMC 0311. He went to the Army for the SF (Pre MARSOC Corps). He is now in Delta and loves it. Changing branches is all about what you want out of the military. The Corps is by far the best foundation. Keep in mind, the regular recruiters can't legally promise you anything while you are on active duty in another branch. So that means you would have to EAS, wait your 90 days, then discuss the contract, which you may not like. Then it would be a pain coming back into the Marines, because you just wasted perks, like bonuses, and duty station pick.