PDA

View Full Version : new ? for poolees/anyone

drillinstructor
04-05-05, 01:36 PM
Why do we say Sgt's Major when talking about more than 1 SgtMaj ? fun research project......

we do not say Master's Gysgt so.........

LivinSoFree
04-05-05, 02:31 PM
Gunny,
Generally, it's dependent upon the root word of the title. This is more or less the same throughout the English language
"Attorneys General"
"Surgeons General"

Here, the root is the occupational title (surgeon/attorney), and "general" is a descriptive adjective that adds a level of specificity and/or importance to the title.

But look at other titles/ranks:
"Brigadier Generals"
"Major Generals"
"Lieutenant Generals"
"Staff Sergeants"
"Gunnery Sergeants"
"Lieutenant Commanders"

Here, the root is the original rank (generally as it originated within the armed forces) (General/Sergeant/Commander), and the other words are adjectives that again add a level of specificity to the rank or title. Thus, following English grammar rules, to get proper agreement, the adjective is singular, as it describes all of those individuals, and the noun is pluralized to indicate more than one.

Hope that's what you're looking for Gunny... that's the result of all this college learnin', I suppose. :marine:

Pel
04-05-05, 03:43 PM
lol

drillinstructor
04-05-05, 05:57 PM
Dang what an answer

Pel
04-05-05, 11:23 PM
exactly

Master Sephiroth
04-06-05, 07:39 AM
off topic: I always wondeered. Why does the Corps have 2 E-9 ranks

LivinSoFree
04-06-05, 08:12 AM
The Corps does not have 2 E-9 ranks. It has 3 (though there is discussion of an E-10 paygrade, which would either add a new one to the ladder, or, more likely, move SgtMaj of the Marine Corps to E-10)

E-9
Sergeant Major- The "Leadership Track" Generally the top enlisted Marine in a unit, the SgtMaj is responsible for all enlisted Marines within the command. He deals with administrative matters, NJPs, promotions, etc. He can be from any MOS, regardless of the unit he's with (i.e.-a Commdog could become the SgtMaj for an Air Wing)- the Corps is looking for his leadership and experience, not specific technical training, though it can play a role.

Master Gunnery Sergeant- This is more of the "Tech Track." A Master Guns is usually the top enlisted Marine for an area or unit within a certain technical specialty (i.e.- an ELMACO or a LARGE Armory shop). While Master Gunnery Sergeants are more than capable of leading Marines, they usually serve in a capacity more like a technical instructor, advisor, and leader within a specific Occupational Field/area of expertise. They generally deal less with administrative issues and more with MOS related problems and evolutions.

Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps- If you need an explaination for this one... maybe you'd better study some more poolee knowledge first.

Master Sephiroth
04-06-05, 10:40 AM
Thanks for info, Lance Corporal