PDA

View Full Version : Stop Smoking????????

cowgurl_Marine
03-16-05, 03:26 PM
Hey Poolees and Marines,

I am trying to stop smoking before Boot.......AAAAAAHHHHHH... I need Your help any advice from anyone. I have been smoking for about 4 years now and I really want to stop. HELP!!!!!!

Any advice Please. I know I will stop while in Boot but It will kick my ends worse if I don't Stop now.

jinelson
03-16-05, 04:22 PM
And Poolee you're so right you will in boot camp don't worry about it you will not have time in boot to give it a second tought, I know I didnt, just be wiser than me and dont start back up, OK?
I just quit again for good after 38 years and that aint pretty. So do it right, now while your young.

Good Luck
Jim

garryh123
03-16-05, 04:41 PM
Zyban.....I smoked 13 years....was up to 4-5 packs a day. Zyban helped me quit within 2 months.

HardJedi
03-16-05, 06:33 PM
it's called self discipline. don't BUY any moresmokes, and don't bum any off of someone else, and problem is solved. Thats the way I quit chewing and drinking both.

enviro
03-16-05, 09:04 PM
Actually, depending on when you ship, it won't make much difference.

You won't even think about it in boot camp. It takes about 3-4 months for all that crap to start coming up and your lungs really start to heal. Takes a good year before you can be toxic free.

The American Cancer Society says:

* Within 20 minutes of your last cigarette:

Blood pressure drops to normal.
The pulse drops to its normal rate.
Body temperature of your hands and feet increases to normal

* 8 Hours

The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
Oxygen level in your blood increases to normal.

* 24 Hours

Chances of heart attack decreases.

* 48 Hours

Nerve endings start regrowing.
Your ability to smell and to taste things is enhanced.

* 72 Hours

Bronchial tubes relax, making breathing easier

* 2 Weeks to 3 Months

Circulation improves.
Walking becomes easier
Lung function increases up to 30 percent.

* 1 to 9 Months

Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue and shortness of breath decrease.
Cilia regrowth in the lungs, increasing your ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs and
reduce infection.
Your body's overall energy level increases.

* 5 Years

The lung cancer death rate for the average smoker (one pack per day) decreases from 72
per 100,000 to 37 per 100,000

* 10 Years

The lung cancer death rate for the average smoker drops to 12 deaths per 100,000
(almost the rate of non-smokers)
Pre-cancerous cells are replaced by healthy cells.
Risks for other cancers - almost the rate of non-smokers
Risks for cancers such as those of the mouth, larynx, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decrease.

cowgurl_Marine
03-17-05, 11:35 AM
Thank You for all your help. and I have done good so far. I havd maybe four cigs, with in maybe 2 days. I will keep my mind set on the prize.