PDA

View Full Version : Is a Marine Black or White?

THATFEMALE
03-15-05, 02:56 AM
Awhile ago there was a thread talking about what this site was set up to be. One of the reasons, was for Marines to come and share stories. It became apparent last night that I share a story with all Members, Marines, Soliders, etc... If you wish to read more, it can be found in "Chicken Soup For the Veteran Soul."

Began: What had been predicted as an easy triumph for the U.S. Marines-the swift conquest of a small remote island-quickly became a nightmare and one of the most costlitest battles of World War II. But the battle at Peleliu Island was not without it's victories, for during this bloody campaign, some of our social and military barriers were changed forever. In the 1940's, racial segregation in the military was a fact of life. Although hard to understand today, it was part of our routine, and no one questioned it. Some, like me, a young kid from New Jersey, were hardly aware of it-until my experience at Peleliu. After many weeks of intense fighting, we battle-weary Marines suffered heavy casualties with severe shortages of replacements and supplies. The fourth day of battle, I left the hospital ship after being treated for wounds and was returning to my company ashore. The ship I took to shore, as well as the beach where we landed, were full of men and equipment to support the fighting. I asked around for the location of my unit, "Item" Comapny, Seventh Marines. A black truck driver pointed to the hills. I remembered vaguely that non- combatant African-American Marines volunteered wherever needed in combat or support, but this was the first time I had seen African-American servicemen. I wondered who they were and what branch they served in. These men were working on the beach, stripped to their waist in the blistering, tropical sun, transferring heavy ammunition from landing craft onto trucks for delivery to the front lines. This task was extremely danderous at any time, but during battle with enemy shells landing nearby, it was a heroic, thankless job that few of us wanted! One of the men, the driver of a loaded ammunition truck, offered me a ride inland to the front lines. I accepted and climbed aboard. As the truck of explosive cargo bounced along the battle-scarred road, enemy shells crunched into the landscape nearby. I felt this selection of transportation was a dangerous choice on my part; fortunately, it was a short ride to the fighting area, and I reached my unit safely. I thanked the truck driver and wished him well and quickly disembarked. When I reached our company comman post, I located my top sergeant and reported for duty. He explained our battle assignment: "We are an understrength company, and our mission is to seize the ridge and mountains to our front. Gentleman, get ready to earn you pay. That rocky, treeless mountain range is held by an elite, well entrenched and hidden enemy who will defend this god forsaken place to their death." The sweltering hot days and chilly nights added to the misery of this bloody assignment, which continued for weeks. Item Company's ranks grew thinner daily due to heavy casualties, rugged terrain and 115 degree heat. Near a grim place we called "Death Valley," our company's advance was halted. We were pinned down into a deadly cross fire by a concealed enemy supported by motars and artillery. We suffered heavy casualties and urgently needed reinforcements. I was a company runner of messages and reported the losses and dangerous situation to the top sergeant at the command post. The top sergeant radioed for additional troops, medical corpsmen, water, ammunition, and as many stretcher beares as he could get. The word came back from battalion headquaters: "Negative! No reinforcements, no stretcher bearers, no help or supplies for the present! All support and reserve units are committed in all out battle throughout the island." With grim determination born of desperation, the top sergeant turned over his command to the next in line and, summoning another Marine and me, set out to find help. Our trio jogged in the blazing sun to several rear headquaters command post seeking assistance, but none was available. When we reached the beach area. a young African_American overheard our situation, walked up and immediately volunteered his platoon's services. "We are from a Marine ammunition depot company and have had some infantry training," he told us. The top sergeant looked at the dark skinned sergeant in surprise. The races were so completely segregated during this era that we had no idea who these African-American servicemen were. Suddenly, I recalled seeing and talking to the African-American troops on the beach when I first returned to battle a week earlier. Now, for the first time, I realized they were Marines! Our perplexed top sergeant tried to discourage the non combatant volunteers from coming, stating they were not trained or qualified for the intensity of this battle. By now, the volunteers had heavily armed themselves and lined up behing their leader. I heard our seasoned professional Marine top sergeant say sharply, "Well, don't say I didn't warn you." But I know he welcomed their aid. We all returned to the battle area. There was carnage everywhere. The top sergeant reported to the acting commander and said, "Sir, I have a platoon of black-I mean a platoon of Marine volunteers who came to help!" The commanding officer said, "Thank God! Thank you all for coming. Sergeant, get our wounded to safety and the dead out." We watched in awe as the gallant volunteers did their job. While breaking through the surrounding enemy snipers, we saw more than one hold a casualty stretcher gently in one hand and, when necessary, fire an automatic weapon with the other hand. One wounded Marine, probably the most bigoted man in our predominantly Southern unit, turned to me and said, "I'll never put Negroes down again. These men are angels-black angels." The platoon of African-American Marines volunteers made many dangerous trips to our company area for the wounded. With each return trip from the rear, they brought badly needed ammunition, food and precious water. It was nightfall when the evacuation of all the wounded was complete. Then the volunteers moved into empty foxholes and helped fight off a night skirmish. Finally, Item Company Marines were relieved from the gruesome mountain by a fresh U.S. Army infantry company. As the incoming soliders passed what was left of our company on the road, the soliders pointed at the African-American servicemen and hooted, taunting us, "Who are those guys in your outfit?" Our senior sergeant bellowed, "Why, some of our best damn Marines-that's who!"
End of Story

Written by: Edward Andrusko

You see in today's Marine Corp, it is not about the color of your skin or where you come from! When I see a Marine, I see just that. What are we about? One thing is working toward the common goal. What is that common goal? Well for me it's freedom. What is it for you? I've always like this latin quote that goes: "Saepe Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas." It means "Often tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever." I think it goes nicely with this story. Semper Fidelis to all. :marine:

Phantom Blooper
03-15-05, 06:12 AM
When in garrison viewing a division or brigade parade,looking out from the reviewing stands at the hundreds,upon hundreds of Marines waiting for the pass in review all the audience see's is a sea of green. (There may be a few specs of blue.) All Marines are the same breed,blood is the same color,red. Marines of all colors of skin,nationality and faith distinguish themselves in the rear and on the front every Marine Corps day!There are MOH and bronze stars awarded for valor to many men and color is and should not be a determining factor all Marines are green,all bleed red, and all walk the scarlet & gold carpet to the pearlie gates! Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

mrbsox
03-15-05, 07:51 AM
Marines are

GREEN

Some are DARK green, some are LIGHT green.
Some have suspiscious looking growths (2) in the upper portion of their chests :D

But all are MARINE, that's what matters

jo_beth
03-15-05, 08:51 AM
Marines are Green, period.

sm@@thrider
03-15-05, 08:53 AM
Marines are Mean, GREEN, the best fighting machines.

barryjh
03-15-05, 11:24 AM
my brothers are my brothers--SEMPER FI to all my brothers

ugly_angel362
03-15-05, 02:24 PM
our brothers and sisters in the giant sandbox appear to be different shades of brown

thoms
03-15-05, 03:11 PM
SEMPER FI TO ALL MY GREEN BRO'S!!!!!

GySgtRet
03-15-05, 03:42 PM
A L L M A R I N E S A R E G R E E N....!!!!

N O M A T T E R W H A T......!!!!

And I don't mean scared green either..

OOORAH...Get some...!!!

Cole11
03-15-05, 06:26 PM
Ive said this before, when a person steps on those yellow footprints, they lose their individuality,all that gets put aside, Im not any color but MARINE CORPS GREEN. Cause when the s*** hits the fan, I dont care what color my Marine Brother watchin my six is, and we all feel the same.

jinelson
03-15-05, 06:47 PM
Well said brother, Vinnie Cole we are all green and we all bleed red and thats enough said. Anyone that disagrees has no business in our ranks.

Thank you THATFEMALE, thats one of the reasons you rate to be a Non Comissioned Officer of Marines.

Semper Fidelis
Jim :marine: