PDA

View Full Version : General Orders

Lorix
03-12-05, 09:18 AM
I heard somewhere that there are actually 13 general orders, but only 11 are taught. I would like to know if anyone knows the other 2. Number 12 was had to do with 'don't get caught', but I don't know if there was more to it. Anyone know general orders number 12 or 13? Just like to know.
:D

Ed Palmer
03-12-05, 10:07 AM
Make sure you know the rest

CrazyBrave83
03-12-05, 01:05 PM
I remember it being 12...

11 official and 1 unofficial...

The secret '12 General Order' was

"To Walk my post from flank to flank and not take s*** from any rank."

-Or so I recall.

jinelson
03-12-05, 03:45 PM
Hey Brave I also remember the unofficial 12th just the way you stated it, with the unofficial 13th being not to forget the other 12.

Pel
03-12-05, 06:16 PM
I agree with crazybrave that is the way I learned them. though ours was

To walk my post from flank to flank and take no **** from any rank

cowgurl_Marine
03-13-05, 01:00 PM
I don't know either one of the 12 or 13.. my recruiter once said there was more and they tried to get us on it, but you know the DIs probaly won't even try to ask us them. So know the first 11 and your facts and you should be alright. or so i have been told my one of my Marine Friends.

Almosthere2005
03-13-05, 05:26 PM
I was told the 12th General was "Don't ask, don't tell"

Tom Hansen
03-14-05, 04:14 PM
The best way to memorize the general orders is to read them over and over at night. In a week or two you will have them down pat....

CrazyBrave83
03-15-05, 04:02 PM
Cpl. Hansen is right. If you commit to memorizing them they'll come naturally. I still remember mine.

The thing that surprised me the most however was when you're down at boot camp for the first 2 weeks they absolutely BEAT them into you. You wont do anything without having to recite a general order as a platoon (for the most part).

There were a large amount of recruits in my platoon that didn't even know what the General Orders were, and that changed real quick, considering everywhere we stopped as a platoon-

Drill Instructor: " 2ND GENERAL ORDER?!"
Platoon: "THIS RECRUITS 2ND GENERAL ORDER IS TO WALK MY POST IN A MILITARY MANNER KEEPING ALWAYS ON THE ALERT AND OBSERVING EVERYTHING THAT TAKES PLACE WITHIN SIGHT OR HEARING, SIR!"

However, even though you won't LEAVE the Island not knowing them, it's best to know them before you get there just so you're not playing catch up.

My advice, also? Focus on the 11, the unofficials don't matter.

Best of luck.

FullMetalJacket
03-15-05, 04:56 PM
The recruiters at RSS New Haven always ask us about our general orders, code of conduct, rank structure, and terminology. If you get the question wrong, you do some PT. They finally got sick of me answering every question correct. What my recruiters ended up doing is making me do PT for every answer I got correct. For those who dont know any info from the poolee book, they sure do remember them because of having to do PT.

ron198321
03-16-05, 02:06 AM
I already memorized all of the General orders and just about every thing else from the handbook except the articles. My recruiters dont even let me answer the questions anymore during our weekly meetings. I hope this will give me a leg up on the other recruits.

Almosthere2005
03-16-05, 08:05 AM
Our recruiters don't even ask us about them, we just have IST once a month, talk, and if some of us stay behind to BS, we are given a deck of cards to do.

cowgurl_Marine
03-17-05, 11:48 AM
We are tested on everything we have. We have been asked about the Ranks and if we didn't get it right we had to do leg lifts or Mother F******. Has any one out there ever do Skys. I bet you know How I felt after one of those Training Circles. You know when you change stations after a few minutes.