PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Marine shot seven times in daring rescue

GunnyL
03-09-05, 08:57 PM
In a daring rescue mission in Iraq, an Iowa Marine braves bullets and shrapnel, risking his life to save his men. <br />
<br />
By WILLIAM PETROSKI <br />
REGISTER STAFF WRITER <br />
<br />
During the urban house-to-house...

yellowwing
03-10-05, 02:27 AM
Killed in the assault was Marine Sgt. Byron Norwood, 25, of Pflugerville, Texas.
The one and the same Marine that President Bush personally named during The State of the Union Address!

That hints towards special attention from Washington about what our Brothers accomplished on that harsh day.

"There was no way that I was going to leave any Marines behind, especially in the hands of Iraqis. . . . I wasn't going to let those young Marines die. It wasn't going to happen, not while I was there."

Semper Fidelis First Sergeant!

HardJedi
03-10-05, 06:34 AM
that man deffinatley, in my opinion, deserves the Medal of Honor.

marinemom
03-10-05, 07:56 AM
He was tigger's First Sgt. - according to the kid, he always had a word of encouragement to the men, he spent more time with the guys than with the "honchos" - said he deserves the MoH and a lot more.

HardJedi
03-10-05, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by marinemom
He was tigger's First Sgt. - according to the kid, he always had a word of encouragement to the men, he spent more time with the guys than with the "honchos" - said he deserves the MoH and a lot more.

seriously? he was your son's First Sgt.? wow!

Toby M
03-10-05, 09:23 AM
Talk about ba**s!!! Makes me even prouder to have been one of these guys...

OLE SARG
03-10-05, 12:18 PM
If Top Kasal does not get the CMH, there is something wrong with the system.

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG

grayshade
03-10-05, 04:15 PM
I vote for First Sgt. Kasal to get the CMH. Sgt. Byron Norwood gave his life for the safety of others, there is no higher sacrifice.

GunnyL
03-10-05, 07:52 PM
Shaffer, don't mind at all; my slip for not putting it in the post in the first place. <br />
I served with First Sgt Kasal on Recruiting Duty in Minnesota, he was a fellow NCOIC in charge of the RSS in...

Sgt Ski 2/7
03-11-05, 12:03 AM
If anybody deserves the medal he should have it. He is what makes our Corp GREAT....Chesty will bless him forever

modog32665
03-11-05, 12:28 AM
Semper Fi and OOh-RAH! Hard chargin Marine no doubt! MoH recipient... Hell Yes!!!

CAR
03-11-05, 12:35 AM
Agree Ski,
He is what the great stories of great Marines are made of. This man deserves the CMH. Man.... 7 times and 40 shrapnel wounds.... Hard Corps, First Sgt. Semper Fi and God bless.

Great story and thanks for posting it Gunny.

Sgt Ski 2/7
03-11-05, 12:42 AM
I would be honored to shake that mans hand anyday of the week. He is the kinda of role model our youth need today. He is not some overpriced loudmouthed sports figure but a man doing his job for the love of his fellow Marines. His selfless act of courage needs to be heard by the young people today. Men like him should be talked about of the news radio and newspaper and if we don't honor them....than who will?