PDA

View Full Version : Dips

Future-USMC-LT
02-27-05, 03:23 PM
I finally got my dip machine delivered yesterday. I was just wondering if dips would help out a lot when it comes to pushups and chin-ups, and will I expect to do a lot of them at OCS? I'm trying to keep my workouts well rounded, that way I'm not working some muscle much more than others.

CAR
02-27-05, 05:19 PM
Dips are a great excercise to help with both. Hit hose hard and you'll notice many gains. Chest. triceps. shoulders, little abs... Good luck in OCS

Preach
03-01-05, 05:48 PM
Yes they will help out a little, but you need to do the chin ups and pull ups all the time. Find out what your max is and work in sets to it. If you can only do 10, do 1 and do 5 push ups then do 1 and 5 pushups till 10. I know it seems like a lot but in boot camp that's what our DI's had us doing for final PFT and it helped me jump from 12 to 19 in 2 weeks. That's if you stick to it. Good luck in OCS

Future-USMC-LT
03-01-05, 08:17 PM
Thanks. The first time I did a Marine PFT - I think it was back in December - I couldn't do any chin-ups. Last PFT I did 7, and I'm aiming for 12 on my PFT tommorow.

Running....well, that's been a struggle, but my Army ROTC battalion has a Special Forces E7 who conducts unit PT on Thursday morning, and he has us do a lot of running. And a lot of push-ups and stairs. Thankfully, my run time has done nothing but decrease, instead of increasing.

I got 55 crunches on my first PFT, last time I did 70. But I found that I was wearing myself out very quickly by letting myself down instead of just dropping back and using the momentum to carry me back up. Same problem that messed me up on my last Army ROTC PFT with the sit-ups. Thankfully I found out how not to do them.