PDA

View Full Version : help

Lestat
02-14-05, 12:58 AM
I have been getting a sharp pain in my lower abdomen everytime I pt( running and pullups mostly) I went to see a doctor and after poking and prodding on me he found the problem. He said he found a mild hernia. Im thinking O F%^& im supposed to leave for boot in a little over a month. The idiots at meps did not find this! What should I do? Tell my recruiter, get surgery and be out for god knows how long or go to boot and chance it that it might get worse. I have not told my recruiter yet, and hes gonna flip when I do if I do.

LivinSoFree
02-14-05, 01:33 AM
Well, I'll tell you this: my Senior Drill Instructor went through boot with a hernia, because he didn't want to risk it. He was in constant pain the whole time, but he made it. However, it is probably a risk to yourself if you do that. I'm not condoning it, I'm just saying it's been done...

yellowwing
02-14-05, 01:54 AM
Tell your Recruiter! If not you might treading on "Fraudulant Enlistment" territory, then all would be f*cked up.

No, your recruiter will not flip. He already has your signed contract. Take the doctor's report to him and any other medical documentation.

Spending and extra month or two in the recruit's medical holding platoon does not sound like fun. I screwed up and spent an extra three weeks in the fat boys platoon because of failing sit ups on the inital PFT. That was hell within hell!

I would stongly recommend you seek hernia treatment at home. It will delay your enlistment, but you will be 100% good to go for training when your all healed up.

Those yellow foot prints will still be there when your ready!

Lestat
02-14-05, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, ive been working so hard to get where I am and its gonna **** me off when I have to start all over again after surgery...

yellowwing
02-14-05, 03:31 AM
Integrity, integrity, integrity. This is one of our highest ideals of the Marine Corps. Lying by ommission is still as bad.

Heal up first, young brother. Best case scenario, you make it through training. But then when you deploy, you can't carry two boxes of 50 call ammo to your gunner. Two Marines must leave the fight to carry you back to batallion aid.

Read the papers. We are not leaving Iraq anytime soon. By then we'll have plenty of other places to serve as our Nation's Force in Readiness.

Talk to your Recruiter and lay it all out. Ugliness and all, but tell him straight up. He will surprise you and bend over backwards to keep you a training slot open.

You will still have plenty of opportunity to become part of our Brotherhood. :marine:

Lestat
02-14-05, 03:49 AM
Thanks so much yellowwing...

yellowwing
02-14-05, 04:20 AM
Don't take my word for the whole Gospel. I'm sure that many other old Salts will sound off, when they see your questions. Take some time to hear their input as well.

You already know in your gut what to do. Waiting three days to hear the rest of us pass on our true life experiences won't be much of a bother.

HardJedi
02-14-05, 05:04 AM
Okey Dokey. here's some of my never ending wisdom for you, Lestat. ( stolen from lots of other places, of course)

#1. there is a difference between being HURT, and being INJURED. a hernia is an injury, and required medical attention. thus, seek it, and inform anyone who needs to know. The Marine Corps has been around a couple hundred years, it will still be here when you are recovered.

#2. Yes, it's possible you could make it through bootcamp with the hernia. People have made it through far worse things, wit hfar worse injuries. But here's the thing. One thing my Senior DI used to tell us was this," Recruits, theres a fine line between hard, and STUPID!" ( actually, I heard this ALOT from several people throughout my time in the Corps, not just from my SDI) Like Yellowing said, you do NOT want to be put on hold at bootcamp for ANY reason. taking that chance is just silly. Think about it. While in bootcamp, you are NOTHING. normally, thats for 13 weeks. You really wanna be treated like NOTHING for 5-6 months instad of 3?

Lestat
02-14-05, 05:40 AM
Well Ill be paying my recruiter a visit today...thanks

HardJedi
02-14-05, 06:34 AM
good for you. it'll all work out, one way or the other, for the best. You'll see.

jinelson
02-14-05, 07:40 AM
Very sound decision Lestat it will pay off for you in the long run. When you do go to boot camp its challenging enough if your in perfect condition let alone hurting already. When you finally get there you will be thankfull you did what you did.

1recon
02-14-05, 10:33 AM
Just thought Id let you know, I knew a recruit at boot camp who got a hernia. He was already in third phase and had to get surgery and was held in MRP for I believe 6 months. Then he had to start all over.