PDA

View Full Version : To all who fly

cadetat6
02-09-05, 03:29 PM
Chucktoo and I were talking about reports a pilot could be flying up-side down and not know it. How can this happen? If it is true does the type of plane make a difference. Ditn't the old timers fly by the seat of thier pants, thats how they stayed up and level.

Art

Osotogary
02-09-05, 03:53 PM
cadetat6-
I can't be specific because I can't recall the books or the articles but flying upside down and not knowing does and has happened, especially at night. I vaguely recall this phenomenon occuring when the pilot was flying by sight only and don't using his flight instruments.

yellowwing
02-09-05, 04:01 PM
Isn't there an Urban Legend about that? At least there was in the Airwing.

A pilot is practicing his inverted flying, he sees some power lines, and pulls UP, right into terra firma. :no:

Wyoming
02-09-05, 06:28 PM
I can tell you one thing.

Trust your instruments.

While flying in fog or clouds, you better stay level, using your instruments.

I've flown 'out' of these situations thinking I was level, and just about sheeit my pants trying to straighten back up.

Weird feeling, sucks!!

greensideout
02-09-05, 07:44 PM
Vertigo, reguardless of the craft that you are flying can and will occure. When flying at night or in fog your location to earth is lost. As long as you remain straight and level it may not happen but when you go into a long bank the fluid in the ear is pushed to the side. At this time you begin to believe that up is down and down is up in refferance to the earth. Your mind will tell you to turn it upside down when pulling out of the bank. The instruments will tell you the opposit. BELIEVE YOUR INSTRUMENTS!!!

I served with four fine Marines that ended up in a rice pattie because the pilot turned over the helo that they were in after a series of banks around a mountain pass.

Is it real? Oh yes---It's hard to override your mind and believe the instruments---been there!