View Full Version : Pilot was only Marine to be ace in two wars

thedrifter
01-30-05, 10:04 AM
January 31, 2005

The Lore of the Corps
Pilot was only Marine to be ace in two wars

By Robert F. Dorr
Special to the Times

When retired Col. John “Jack” Bolt, 83, died of leukemia in Tampa, Fla., on Sept. 8, the nation lost one of its true heroes — the only Marine to become a fighter ace in two wars.
Born in Laurens, S.C., in 1921, Bolt studied at the University of Florida for two years. In summer 1941, he joined the Marine Corps Reserve to train as a pilot and earn money for college.

Bolt flew the F4U Corsair in the South Pacific with Marine Fighter Squadron 214, the famous “Black Sheep” squadron commanded by Lt. Col. Gregory “Pappy” Boyington. Bolt called the Corsair “the plane every young man wanted to fly,” in an interview several years ago.

Bolt flew it better than most, completing 94 missions, shooting down six Japanese Zero fighters and becoming an air ace. He also led a highly successful strafing mission against Japanese ships and barges.

One war later, Bolt was a major serving an exchange tour with the Air Force in 1953, flying the F-86 Sabre with the 39th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron — the “Cobras” — in Korea. He was so low-key, fellow airmen did not know of his ace status.

“I was Bolt’s wingman on one of his kills,” said retired Air Force Col. Dean Abbott, 77, of Eugene, Ore. “On that mission, Bolt got within three ship-lengths of his prey, a Chinese MiG-15, and was pouring all of his six .50-cal. guns into the MiG’s tailpipe when the MiG pilot ejected.

“The MiG’s canopy sailed over both of us, but the pilot came down between us and fell right through the hail of fire. Maj. Bolt was pouring into that MiG. He lit up like a Christmas tree.

“I flew home with my heart in the pit of my stomach,” Abbott continued. “On landing, I walked over to Bolt’s Sabre as he was filling out the required forms after the mission. I said, ‘Major Bolt, I have seen a lot of MiGs shot down, but this is the first time I have ever seen a MiG pilot die. How do you feel about that?’

“Without stopping his writing, in a businesslike tone that had no hint of mean-spiritedness in it, Bolt said, ‘He won’t be up to fight us tomorrow will he?’”

Bolt shot down six MiGs in Korea, raising his total aerial victories to a dozen. In addition, he was awarded the Navy Cross for heroic action in July 1953 when he led F-86s, low on fuel, in an attack on four MiGs and personally downed two of them.

After retiring from the Corps in 1962, Bolt completed law school at age 49. He was the attorney for the utilities commission in New Smyrna Beach, Fla., and retired in 1991.

Bolt was an active sportsman and scuba diver. He was in Tampa escaping from Hurricane Frances when he succumbed to leukemia.

Bolt and his wife Dottie were married for 60 years and have a daughter and two grandchildren.

Robert F. Dorr, an Air Force veteran, lives in Oakton, Va. He is the author of numerous books on military topics, including “Air Force One.” His e-mail address is robert.f.dorr@cox.net.

Ellie