PDA

View Full Version : Vma-331

rfolds
10-13-02, 05:50 PM
I was searching the net and ran across VMA-331 on deployment aboard the USS Independence. Brought back memories. Would like to hear from anyone who was in VMA-331 and especially anyone in the best shop in the squadron...The mighty Bubble Chasers. (Hydraulic Shop):banana:

Barrio_rat
10-13-02, 08:33 PM
Sorry, I wasn't a bubble chaser nor was I assigned to them fast movers. I was Avi Ord (ordie or bb stacker to you) with roto head. However, it's always good to have a fellow wing nut here abouts.

Semper Fi!

wrbones
10-14-02, 01:50 AM
I love the smell of freon in the morning....it smells like....contamination control.....

Yeah, I know that was pretty weak, but they can't be funny alla time! LOL

Welcome aboard, Marine

By the way, in 77-79, I thought we had the best shop in the Corps! LOL.

BTW, There are a couple of fixed wingers who drop by now and then. Just be patient.

Jonesey
11-30-07, 08:42 PM
ahh a fellow bubble chaser!! was there from 89-92:) Check out the website

WWW.vma331.com (http://www.vma331.com)

RJ

ColFred
02-14-08, 08:52 PM
Another bubble chaser here - VMA-331 from Feb 1977- July 1980.

Looking for any fellow squadron members from that time.

Semper Fi!

thumperthegreat
03-10-09, 08:20 PM
I was there until 1978 Sgt Hickmott

rfolds
03-12-09, 04:37 AM
I was there until 1978 Sgt Hickmott

Was 331 still flying the A4 in '78? We went back to Beaufort when my niece graduated from PI and boy did it change. Five lane highways and new buildings.

Change is depressing when the past is only in a museum. :cry:

BTW - Does anyone know James E. Royal who taught me the art of "Preventative Maintenace" .

thumperthegreat
03-15-09, 11:53 AM
I remember a Sgt Royal, I think he was a bubble chaser. Yes A-4s were still with Vma-331 in 1978. As a matter of note I think they received the last A-4 that rolled off the line. I was back at the point when they were transistioning to the AV-8B. I worked for Mcdonnell Douglas at the time and even then the changes were amazing.

rfolds
03-15-09, 05:01 PM
I remember a Sgt Royal, I think he was a bubble chaser. Yes A-4s were still with Vma-331 in 1978. As a matter of note I think they received the last A-4 that rolled off the line. I was back at the point when they were transistioning to the AV-8B. I worked for Mcdonnell Douglas at the time and even then the changes were amazing.

Yes sir a bubble chaser indeed.

It would be really great if I could ever get a chance to tell hm what he taught me about preventative maintenace has helped me more than anything else in my career. Spending your time on things before they break is a heck of lot easier.

Thanks for the reply.

CH53MetalMan
03-15-09, 07:21 PM
You guys from Yuma, late 1970's might remember Capt. V? A-4 flight instructor.

Jose Villanueva.

Last I knew of him, he was working for a defense contractor in East Texas. He is very well remembered by both Officers and Enlisted men.

Sgt Jim
03-15-09, 08:07 PM
I thought i was the only bubble chaser here,good to know someone else that knows waht a bubble chaser is.

Roy Hessler
09-29-10, 02:58 PM
Ssgt R. Hessler Maintenance Administration Vma-331 1976-1984

Roy Hessler
09-29-10, 03:00 PM
SSGT HESSLER. DEPLOYED TO YUMA IN THE 70's EARLY 80's WHEN WE PAINTED
A-4'S FOREVER ON THE PLANE NEAR THE GATE

Charles Weidman
10-04-10, 06:20 PM
Hell, I was in VMA-331 in the "Old Corps". Started out at MCAF Opa Locka, Miami. Florida back in 1957. Had Douglas AD-5s & 6s. Went to Cubi Point in 1958 and relieved VMA-332 and then on to Iwakuni, Japan. We were called San San Ichi (331). Will never forget the San Miguel beer that would smell something terrible nerxt day on a head run. So bad you'd have to carry a stick with you. Nothing like Olongapo and psst-psst, the Phillipino "love call". Retired after 22 years back in Oct 76 as a Gunny Sgt. with VMO-1 New River Air Station. MOS was the original 6511 Ordnance and ended up a 6531. Three Vietnam tours all the way from Chu Lai to the DMZ. Flew out of Danang on C-130s on flare missions every night with VMGR-152. Chu Lai was with MABS-12 in'65. Ended up closing down Marble Mountain in 1971 with HMl- 167 where I was the Ordnance NCOIC and flew as a door gunner on Huey Gunships. Semper Fi, do or die and to die for the Corps is to live forever.. My best to all you former Marines. Used to be an old two striper Corporal also. Made PFC first time in 1955, again in 1957. Had a hell of a lot of fun.

jmaisch
12-28-10, 07:17 PM
I was searching the net and ran across VMA-331 on deployment aboard the USS Independence. Brought back memories. Would like to hear from anyone who was in VMA-331 and especially anyone in the best shop in the squadron...The mighty Bubble Chasers. (Hydraulic Shop):banana:

My fiance's grandfather commanded VMA-331 in 1967. His name is Col. Paul Maginnis, aka "Muscle Bee". He speaks often, and proudly, of his service and the men he served with.

This is the only photo that we have of him from his time with the Bumblebees. This was taken in 1968, just after he landed in Turkey. I am trying to find other pictures of him, preferably with his plane. If anyone has any which they would be willing to share, please contact me. It would make an old Marine very happy.

My email is jasonmaisch@yahoo.com.

Thank you,
-Jason

jdeco1
08-27-15, 08:15 PM
I Was with 331 in 1967 in the flight equip shop. I knew Col. Maginnis very well. I am very happy to hear that he is stii with us. Tell him that his favorite rigger from Webster Ma. Says Hi. J.J.Decoteau SSGT