PDA

View Full Version : Marine Gunships

bear999
01-04-05, 10:20 AM
I've been in a "discussion" with some friends (army) about the development of the helicopter gunship. The Corps seems to be the first actual developer of the helicopter gunship, and it appears that HMM 362 did some of the original modifications between April '62 and August '62.
Can anyone stear me to some actual "did that, at this time, what, where, and when" concerning the addition of armament to the first choppers?

airframesguru
01-04-05, 10:22 AM
May or may not help:

www.popasmoke.com

greensideout
01-04-05, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by bear999
I've been in a "discussion" with some friends (army) about the development of the helicopter gunship. The Corps seems to be the first actual developer of the helicopter gunship, and it appears that HMM 362 did some of the original modifications between April '62 and August '62.
Can anyone stear me to some actual "did that, at this time, what, where, and when" concerning the addition of armament to the first choppers?

I was with HMM-362 at that time.

Gunships? Not really. We tried a few different weapons to increase fire power. The .45 cal. grease gun and the Swedish K I remember.

Replacement units went on to mount the .30 cal. machine guns in the door in 1963 and trained at Yuma AZ before going to Nam.

"Armament on the choppers", we had none in '62.

greensideout
01-04-05, 06:40 PM
btw, The Army was flying the banana shaped birds at the time. They didn't look much like a gunship. :banana:

airframesguru
01-04-05, 07:45 PM
Greenside,

ever work with the 34D's (UH-34D)

greensideout
01-04-05, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by airframesguru
Greenside,

ever work with the 34D's (UH-34D)

I don't know?---lol

The aircraft designation changed about the time I got out.

I worked on and flew in the HUS-1, and 2's, and OE-1 and 2's.

I do think that the HUS's were called the 34D's later on.