PDA

View Full Version : Recruit Dies

Doc Crow
11-18-04, 01:25 PM
I just saw on fox news page that a recruit died during the crucible yesterday or the day before I forget which. No Names or anything was mentioned.

yellowwing
11-18-04, 01:44 PM
F*ck! F*ck! F*ck!

Associated Press, 18 Nov (http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/10214625.htm)
PARRIS ISLAND, S.C. - Officials are investigating the death of a Parris Island recruit from the Marine Corps Recruit Depot early Thursday morning.

The recruit had been training in a 54-hour field training exercise called the Crucible. The exercise, which is a graduation requirement for recruits, is a test of endurance that involves food and sleep deprivation.

The exercise would have ended Thursday morning after a hike back to base. But the recruit did not respond when drill instructors tried to wake him at 2:30 a.m., said spokesman Maj. Ken White.

The trainers attempted to revive him with CPR. He was transported to Beaufort Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 3:38 a.m.

Department of Defense policy prohibits providing information about the recruit until 24 hours after family has been notified.

Doc Crow
11-18-04, 01:51 PM
Sad may God Keep and Comfort his family

DSchmitke
11-18-04, 02:48 PM
Our prayer are with his family. God Bless.

mrbsox
11-18-04, 03:04 PM
Prayers and condolenses to the family.

Lord must have had a reason to call roll, this early in a young mans life.

Terry

Osotogary
11-18-04, 03:24 PM
You are right , mrbsox, saying that there had to be a reason why this young man was taken from this world. But that reason, even when and if understood, will not be easily accepted.
Prayers are in order for not only the deceased but also the grieving family. May he rest in peace.
Gary

grayshade
11-18-04, 04:30 PM
Condolences to the family of this young man whom, I have no doubt, would have passed the Crucible, and would have made a fine Marine. Godspeed, and may the Lord grant him passage, peaceful journey to thee.

LivinSoFree
11-18-04, 05:02 PM
My condolences go out not only to this recruit's family, but also to his platoon, who may be able to derive a little benefit from these otherwise tragic circumstances in that they may learn how to deal with the death of their own before it happens under much more violent circumstances.

Timber
11-18-04, 05:32 PM
My condolences to the family and platoon. Also let our thoughts be with the DI's and officers as they will no dought feel and carry much of the responsebility for this recruit.

MillRatUSMC
11-18-04, 05:37 PM
Our condolences to his family and the griefing members of the Recruit Platoon that he was a member...
May God grant him Peace...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

snipowsky
11-18-04, 05:43 PM
Rest in peace brother! My prayers are with you and your family! Semper Fidelis!

HardJedi
11-18-04, 06:26 PM
He may have lived as a recruit, but he died as a Marine. At least, that's how I see it. Rest in Peace brother. there are many waiting to welcome you home.

LivinSoFree
11-18-04, 07:14 PM
I'll agree with you on that one Jedi.

Walter
11-18-04, 07:21 PM
Condolences to the family of this Marine. RIP.

JAMarine
11-18-04, 08:10 PM
Maybe someone closer to PI could find out anything about this young man. We could get letters together and send to the Family.

What do you think Gerald?

d c taveapont
11-18-04, 10:05 PM
if you don't mind me asking. But you see i went thru boot in 1969......as i see it the crucible is sort of like the seals training.....in which we don't need DID we copy this from the navy.....i have always thought that WE never copied from the other armed forces......

Doc Crow
11-20-04, 10:20 PM
DC I disagree it gives the Marines good, valuable training. I know 2 SSGT's that are DI's at PI and have been to visit them both when this training was going on and it is top notch. It is not much harder then a outstanding MCCRES.

hrscowboy
11-20-04, 10:42 PM
I would like like to know as of this date how many young marines have died from this crucible while doing it or from doing it????

Sgtj
11-20-04, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't compare the crucible to SEAL training at ALL! I mean really, it is not that difficult whatsoever. I went through it in 97 and unless they re-vamp the entire damn thing which I doubt then it probably wasn't the crucible that killed this kid. Don't get me wrong though, under poor leadership he could've gone down.

The only thing the crucible did was build on team work, make you feel hungry and very tired and sore.

COSTAM
11-23-04, 04:42 PM
ONCE A MARINE ALWAYS A MARINE, CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILY

LivinSoFree
11-23-04, 06:09 PM
I'll agree with SgtJ. To be honest, I enjoyed the crucible... it was the first time we were acting and training like Marines even in the slightest way. I was teamed with good recruits, and my Drill Instructor for the Crucible was the 2nd hat from my platoon and had extensive infantry and SOI background. For the 54 hours we were there, we trained instead of getting screwed with, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

vfm
11-23-04, 07:21 PM
My condolences to this young recruit's family , platoon members and D.I.'s. May he rest in peace. "Marines never die \; they go to Heaven and regroup"
Semper Fi!!!
vfm