PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp Turns Recruits Into Young Marines

thedrifter
11-01-04, 06:32 AM
Boot Camp Turns Recruits Into Young Marines

By Dorene Stamper/Staff Writer-SONews.com

White City, Oregon- The Southern Oregon Rehabilitation Center and Clinics (SORCC), formerly known as the White City Domiciliary, is the home to not only many honorable military veterans, but also to the Southern Oregon Young Marine Corps. Here, young men and women learn many valuable customs and traditions which will benefit them in their future lives in or out of the military service

"This is their third week in training," said Mike Cobb, Assistant Training Officer of the Young Marines. "So far they are doing very well, but they have a long ways to go. This is a 12 week boot camp."

This boot camp is just that, a real boot camp where young recruits learn all the basics of military life and what is expected of them in the Corps.

"They have no right to wear the BDU (battle dress uniform) until they have finished," said Cobb. "They learn basic drill and ceremony indoctrinations, along with physical training. They are also learning military customs and courtesy while working as a group and learning to put others before them self. We do not get them involved with military tactics. "

"It's only after the recruits graduate from boot camp will they become Young Marines," said Cobb. "If they meet the standards required, physically and mentally, then only will they become Young Marines." And, he added, the dropout percentage is very low.

What would make a teenager volunteer to go into a program such as this when they could be hanging out with their friends at the mall or playing video games?

"My eldest son got involved with the Young Marines because of a desire to become a part of the same unit that held a recruiting drive at his high school," said Cobb. "He brought home the paperwork from the Southern Oregon Young Marine Unit. My wife and I looked it over and felt that it would be an outstanding opportunity for him to develop self respect, discipline, and general knowledge regarding teamwork."

"My wife went to the parents orientation to find out what it's all about," said Cobb. "She liked what she heard and we signed him up."

Other members of the Southern Oregon Young Marine Corp Unit had their own reasons for joining up.

"I wanted to get into shape for volleyball and basketball," said Sargent Shroyer. "The leadership opportunities were awesome and being a member looks very good for job and college applications."

When President Bush was at the Jackson County Expo during his October campaign, a few select Young Marines were invited to participate in this memorable occasions.

"The Young Marines sent me on a campaign watch tour where I was able to shake hands with President Bush. He even spoke to me," said Sargent Shroyer. "I was doing security with the Secret Service at the time. We were part of the security in front of the President during his speech."

"When he came off the stage to shake peoples hands I saw he was coming towards me," remembers Sargent Shroyer. "I brought out a Challenge coin and had it in my hand to give to him, if I were given a chance. When he extended his hand towards me I placed the coin in his hand while we shook hands and smiled."

"President Bush smiled back and continued on for about four more people," said Sargent Shroyer. "It was then he stopped, looked at the coin and returned to me. While shaking my hand again he said, 'Thank you, thank you so much for this,' then he went on. This was a highlight for me."

Still another member of the Southern Oregon Young Marine Corp had his story to tell.

Corp. Burgdorf said, "I saw an ad at school telling about the Young Marines. I told my mother about it and she said that we would look into it. We came for the orientation and became very interested in it. So I joined."

"I went through boot camp and I even received the Honorary Recruit Ribbon Award," said Crop. Burgdorf, "You need to be the best leader, which is being mentally alert and physically emotional to receive this honor."

"I went to a school, the Marine Corp Monetary Training Center, to learn about rock climbing and repelling," said Corp. Burgdorf. "They were kind enough to go out of their way to invite the Young Marines to the center."

Here at the center the Young Marines were trained in:

Rock climbing and repelling
Survival Skills
First Aid
Communications (Radio and military communication devises)
Each of the seven days the Young Marines started off with a four miles hike at 7,000 ft, up and down hills in the training area.

Next came Inspections, then what training would be taking place on that day.

"In the morning it was hard, but after that it was okay. " remembers Corp. Burgdorf, "It was really cold in the morning and hot in the after noon. The temperature of 80 at that altitude is like 100 here."

"I was exhausted each day of the seven days," concluded Corp. Burgdorf. "But I learned so much, and it was fun."

To be a Young Marine is an honor, a privilege and a program that will help any young person to become ready for life. For more information on Southern Oregon Young Marines you can read the story posed on November 16, 2003 at http://www.medfordnews.com/articles/index.cfm?artOID=138794&webpage=3934.

If you feel being a Young Marine is for you, you can contact the Oregon Units at:

Young Marines of Southern Oregon - Medford, Oregon 97501 - Contact person is Michael Chesney,. His e-mail address is Mikechesney@charter.net

Emerald Empire Young Marines - Eugene, Oregon 97404 - Contact person is Thad Lukasik. He can be reached by e-mail at Thadl42@aol.com.

Rogue Valley Young Marines - Grants Pass, Oregon 97526 - Contact person is Tony Guillory. He can be reached by e-mail at dl85@vsisp.net

If you have a cool story in Jackson or Josephine counties let me know, Dorene@SouthernOregonNews.Com

http://www.jacksonvilleoregonnews.com/articles/index.cfm?artOID=243993&cp=10989

Ellie

yellowwing
11-01-04, 08:23 AM
I'm sure its a fine organization, but I alway thought Young Marines were our lads like Seeley, CeasarAugustus, and Meyer.