PDA

View Full Version : What next?

VarelaMJ
10-17-04, 09:34 PM
I just graduated from PI on the 15 and was wondering if anyone can give me tips. For instance, I was made fun of for saying sir and mam to other enlisted marines as soon as I graduated. Anything else to save me from embarrassment would be greatly appreciated. What is MCT like?

HardJedi
10-17-04, 09:41 PM
well, first off, CONGRAT! welcome to the brotherhood, MARINE!

second, I guess it just depends on where you go from here. When I got my first unit, wearing USMC t-shirts and Jackets out on Libbo would get you made fun of as a boot.

greensideout
10-17-04, 09:48 PM
Forget the embarassment!

You were in good order. If they made fun of your addressments then they were the ones who were making the mistake.

You will find that many don't have a clue and choose to belittle those that choose to show respect.

Stay the course Marine!

HardJedi
10-17-04, 10:08 PM
what MOS school are you going to?

greensideout
10-17-04, 10:10 PM
And wecome to this site!

Congratulations upon becoming a Marine!

drillinstructor
10-17-04, 10:45 PM
I AGREE WITH GREENSIDEOUT......CALLING THEM BY THEIR RANK IS ALSO APPROPIATE

snipowsky
10-18-04, 05:39 AM
VarelaMJ whatever you do, don't ever do this! I never did this coming from a military family, but seen other new Marines do this all the time.

Don't ever salute enlisted personnel. I always had good chuckle seeing this, it's hard not too. Address enlisted personnel by their rank and you will always be good to go. Officers are the only ones who rate a salute, unless you run into an enlisted Marine with a CMH and I doubt that will ever happen. Then again I never thought I'd ever meet the Commandant of the Marines and I did... I met Gen. Charles Krulak! So I guess anything is possible in the Marines.

And never be ashamed to wear Marine Corps T-shirts or Jackets! HardJedi is right though, you will be made fun of especially if you are with a victor unit, i.e. 03 Infantry. I've been out for 8 years now and I still wear mine on a weekly basis. Just tone it down a bit off base.

Semper Fi Marine!

airframesguru
10-18-04, 06:22 AM
No matter how bad they may need it.... Never go to the Sgt Maj and ask for a PRC (PRICK) E9!

Been there ... Done that!

S/F and Congrats,

Mike

jinelson
10-18-04, 07:38 AM
Congratulations Marine and welcome to the brotherhood. Snipowski is right don't ever be ashamed to let people know that you are one of the proud few. You earned the title and civilians respect you more than you will ever know. Just yesterday I was at Macy's buying some foo foo juice and the cashier noticing my red USMC/EGA cover thanked me for my service to our country and my service was a long time ago. Whats your MOS?

Semper Fi
Jim

awb5711
10-18-04, 08:03 AM
Its gonna take a little while to make the transition from recruit to Marine and then another transition when you make it to the fleet. You will come to the fleet more motivated than the Marines around you and thats a good thing. When you get there you are not going to believe what you see. So far you've been around Drill Instructors and other highly motivated new Marines. You are not going to see that in the fleet. You will be around a lot of s#%t bags who have gotten in trouble, busted down, and are just marking time till they get out. Don't let these guys get you down. They will probably give you s#%t for being so motivated. Don't change what you are doing. Work hard, stay motivated!! Also....for the first month or so, keep your mouth shut and listen. Listen to the senior LCpls and your NCO's. No one is going to care that you were a squad leader in boot camp, or shot the second highest score on the range. We've all been to boot camp and all have the same stories. Just stay motivated and don't let the nasties that slipped through the cracks bring you down.

Semper Fi

drillinstructor
10-18-04, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by snipowsky
VarelaMJ whatever you do, don't ever do this! I never did this coming from a military family, but seen other new Marines do this all the time.

Don't ever salute enlisted personnel. I always had good chuckle seeing this, it's hard not too. Address enlisted personnel by their rank and you will always be good to go. Officers are the only ones who rate a salute, unless you run into an enlisted Marine with a CMH and I doubt that will ever happen. Then again I never thought I'd ever meet the Commandant of the Marines and I did... I met Gen. Charles Krulak! So I guess anything is possible in the Marines.

And never be ashamed to wear Marine Corps T-shirts or Jackets! HardJedi is right though, you will be made fun of especially if you are with a victor unit, i.e. 03 Infantry. I've been out for 8 years now and I still wear mine on a weekly basis. Just tone it down a bit off base.

THIS IS FALSE INFORMATION....ALL MEMBERS RATE A SALUTE NOT ONLY OFFICERS....OFFICERS YOU HAVE TO SALUTE. A SALUTE IS A FORMAL GREETING TO ALL MEMBERS AND I DO IT ALL THE TIME..IT IS APPROPIATE
Semper Fi Marine!

drillinstructor
10-18-04, 09:07 AM
OK HERE IT IS FROM THE DRILL MANUAL DRILL INSTRUCTORS WILL KNOW WHAT PCWC IS...HERE IS THE PCWC HAND SALUTE

(P) FORM OF COURTESY USED BETWEEN MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES AND TO COLOR

(C) ONE COUNT

(W) HALTED AT ATTENTION, MARCHING AT QUICK TIME, OR SEATED IN A VEHICLE

note...a return salute while seated in a vehicle....do not iniate a salute on your ass

(C) HAND SALUTE, READY TWO, PRESENT ARMS, AND ORDER ARMS

VarelaMJ
10-18-04, 11:39 AM
Thanks, that makes me feel better, sorta. My MOS is amphibious assault vehicle crewman, 1833. Right now I'm just worried about getting to MCT and how to act and what to expect.

Namvet67
10-18-04, 11:46 AM
I agree drillinstructor....Congrats Marine. Semper Fi..carry on!

snipowsky
10-18-04, 12:30 PM
Maybe I should have been more specific...

I was referring to Marines saluting other enlisted Marines and calling them "Sir".

I do agree that if you want to salute another enlisted Marine, you have that right to do so. That is definitely showing respect and is appropRiate... but IT IS NOT MANDATORY!

DSchmitke
10-18-04, 01:07 PM
Congratulations Marine !!!!

Caesar Augustus
10-18-04, 06:41 PM
Wearing moto shirts is a sure way to be made fun of. If you're gonna do it just don't do it around base. Off base its fine but everyone already knows you're a Marine on base. other than that if we told ya what to expect it would spoil all the embarassing fun you might get to have before you get to your unit. I learned by experience. You'll definately become more comfortable with time

yellowwing
10-18-04, 07:17 PM
That new guy syndrome is everywhere in any organization. You are priviledged to have earned the right to be a part of the best.

Getting 'salty' is a totally different matter! Just keep yourself squared away and take the ribbing. Stay motivated no matter what sh*t work detail you are volunteered for.

Maintain a 1st Class PFT, work to fire Expert, work on your uniform religously. When you get to the fleet enroll in MCI courses. Always stand with and help your fellow Marine.

That will get you promoted and a tad more respect. When you are a salty Lance God, it will be up to you if you want to carry on the ribbing of fresh Marines.

The funniest one I've heard was, "PFC, go ask the Gunny for 100 feet of flight line!"

Even officers are not immune to taking humor on young Marines. This old Mustang Captain told us about one encounter he had with a PFC ground crewman after a MAC flight from Hawaii.

"Hey PFC, can you help me with my bag of sh*t?" The PFC immediately bounds forward and answers, "Yes, Sir!"

The Captain then hands the PFC a human waste disposal bag bulging with feces! :banana:

awb5711
10-19-04, 06:17 AM
But.....once you become a little salty....its more fun to pick on the new LT's.

Whats the difference between a PFC and a 2nd LT??

The PFC has been promoted!!