PDA

View Full Version : What is MCT?

hoytarcher45
09-08-04, 01:46 PM
I just got back from Parris Island and am on my 10 days of boot leave. My orders are to Camp Gieger, NC for MCT. I really dont know what MCT is going to be like other than one of my DIs saying that its like BWT in boot camp. Can anyone give me any more details as to what its going to be like?

-PVT Miller

thedrifter
09-08-04, 01:58 PM
A New Marine Needs help......

Congratulations Marine

Ellie

ugly_angel362
09-08-04, 02:09 PM
it is basically training like you did on the crucible and during mwt. you will eat mre's, go on humps, and take classes about what you would do in war. you will learn different ways to patrol, ie formations for it and hand signals , learn more about using you mopp gear. how to use different types of weapons. if you did fine in the crucible you will be fine at mct. the most fun thing i think was the land navigation. you will get a class on how to use a compass and you and one other marine will get one coordinate and then you will navigate through the woods untill you get to the next checkpoint. all in all you will do about 5 checkpoints when you think you got them all you will go to your instructor and they will tell you if you are wrong or right. then you get to do it at night. you might also do mock battles with your platoon. it really is a great experience. make sure you pay attention to everything that you are taught. you might really need it someday. hope this helps you out hoytarcher45.

fulmetaljackass
09-08-04, 02:10 PM
It's pretty much infantry stuff, but not as in depth or as long. I couldn't help but think it was like another part of boot camp (and yes, your drill instructor was right about the BWT part), but at least you're a Marine now.

You know the drill now. All you have to do is exactly what you're told when you're told to do it. Semper Fi!

fulmetaljackass
09-08-04, 02:15 PM
Here's a continuance of my last one.....

You'll get to throw grenades and fire all types of cool weapons and think, "D@mn! I should've been a grunt!" until you have to hump for God knows how many miles and think "D@mn! I'm glad I'm not a grunt!"

Then, perhaps as in my case, fate will twist in an ever so cruel direction, you will wind up a combat engineer with division, stuck with the grunts constantly, and humping all the extra weight that comes with being a grunt, but getting none of the glory!

Namvet67
09-08-04, 03:09 PM
In my days it was called ITR (infantry training regiment). Didn't have Drill Instructors and we were treated like Marines and expected to act the same. It was 2 weeks if you were not an 03 and 4 weeks if you were. Much more physical and a lot less mental. Enjoy your leave Pvt Miller (soon to be PFC Miller I'm sure). Good luck Marine!

mrbsox
09-08-04, 06:07 PM
Before ITR, I had ITS

Infantry
Training
School

2 months I think I remember, 0341 for mortars.

Communications, formations, live firing, patrols, all of the above. Even a lowly Pvt (PFC afterwards) learned how to call a fire mission, calculate the fire data in F.D.C.

Make the most of it, it's what 0311's do, need, live for....
And die without, or when it's wrong.

Congrats, brother.
I raise a glass to 'Fallen Brothers', and may you not be among them for many decades to come.

Semper Fi.

enviro
09-08-04, 08:16 PM
http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/soi/mct.htm

VarelaMJ
10-18-04, 12:06 PM
Is MCT less stressful because you are a Marine or is it basically the same as bootcamp? It kind of sounds like fun.

jinelson
10-18-04, 12:48 PM
Pvt. Miller I also went through ITR but from what I gather MCT is close to the same, 14 training days and he same training content. You will be treated like a Marine and if you are like me it will be fun. Except for the fact that while I was there I caught two weeks of mess duty and two weeks of regimental guard duty.

Semper Fi

awb5711
10-18-04, 01:24 PM
Here's the golden rule to remember at MCT. Marines are not allowed to haze recruits. They are however able to haze new Marines!!! Enjoy yourself!! Make sure to get a good portable seat to take with you....75% of MCT is spent sitting on your a$$ waiting in line to do something.