PDA

View Full Version : Daughter wants to enlist

texdad
08-04-04, 10:41 AM
My 17 year old daughter wants to enlist next year......any suggestions on college first and then becoming an officer instead of enlisting out of high school? In my opinion, she is responsible, gets good grades and does not get into trouble. I get the feeling she might want to prove something to herself first.

hrscowboy
08-04-04, 10:50 AM
my daughter went on to nursing school right out of highschool and became an RN and then enlisted in US ARMY where she was sent to officers school and now is a Captain in the medical field. That may be a deal for your daughter because if she decided to ever leave the military she would still have a profession that pays excellent wages.

fulmetaljackass
08-04-04, 12:11 PM
...except for the fact that the Marine Corps has no medical MOS's, officer or enlisted.

Let her go with her heart. Have her talk to other Marines on here, enlisted and officer. Find out what they liked, what they didn't, what they would have done better or different etc. My dad tried to talk me into going to college first, too. Needless to say, it didn't work. My parents were just trying to keep me safe!

Namvet67
08-04-04, 12:41 PM
Next year when she turns 18...she will be able to sign up on her own if she wants. I f it was my caughter, I would steer her towards college. However, if she is anything like my daughter, she's going to do what she wants not what I recommend. Good luck. My parents did not want me to go in the Marines either.

HardJedi
08-04-04, 01:33 PM
Hmmm again. well, lets see. and this is a BIASED opinion, of course) go enlisted, and THEN college. Officers do NOT form the kids of bonds with each other that enlisted personel do. they CAN'T.

hrscowboy
08-04-04, 03:35 PM
WAIT A DARN MINUITE HERE GENTLEMAN if i remember right my drill instructor told us in order for us to be marines They was our daddy and momma for the rest of our lives. I thought marines didnt have any parents once we joined the Corps.

usmchauer
08-04-04, 03:43 PM
hrscowboy.... Are your Drill Instructors still your Mom and Dad??
texdad. I'm with fullmetaljackass, if this is really what she wants then be supportive of her decision to serve. Get as much input from Marines, active and otherwise to see what opinions they have, things to be aware of etc.... Good Luck

GySgtRet
08-04-04, 05:03 PM
texdad,

I spent 20 years in our beloved corps and enjoyed just about everyday (some good some bad) just like anything else. My daughter is on her way to college this month. The Marines like all of the other services are looking for a few good men and women. My daughter made her own choice. She told me that she would not be able to take people yelling and giving orders to her??? I think she is going to be in for a rude awanking. I would sugesst looking in the forum her and asking both enlisted and officer opinions. I feel enlisted is the best way to go first. There is a bonding with enlisted like no other that I know. Then, if she really makes the proof to herself that she can do it then go with an officer program. She can work on a dgree in the Marine Corps, although not very easy, duties are before yourself. However, if a command feels that the betterment of a Marine will make things better for the Coprs then things maybe be different for her. She will be in culture shock, but hopefully in a good way to grow and expand her knowledge of the world and life.

Weel, as one father to the othre she will be able to make her choices at 18, but have her describe to you and your wife what she really wants from life.

Good Luck

CAR
08-04-04, 08:17 PM
texdad,

You've got a great head start on gathering info. Keep in mind that there are programs in the USMC that allow you to go from an enlisted Marine to an Officer (PLC). It is not easy to get but it is a possibility. Like Gunny said you daughter can go to the Corps and then take college while in. Others have said it: It really depends on what she wants to get into. Officers "live" better and have lots of responsibility, but less control on where they go. Enlisted, the "working class" have more control where they go as far as jobs go, but less pay. The enlisted experience is, in my opinion, about the best thing I have experienced, next to my family. It is a bonding culture, it has its good and bad like everything else and never kid yourself thinking that officers are the only college grads. Lots of highly educated enlisted, they are there for the expeience. Your Lt may be the platoon commander but the Sgt's and Staff NCO's truly are the backbone and get things done.

Semper Fi

GySgtRet
08-04-04, 09:42 PM
CAR,

Well said.

Semper Fidelis