View Full Version : ‘Speak your mind,’ Zinni advises

thedrifter
07-06-04, 07:38 AM
Issue Date: July 05, 2004

‘Speak your mind,’ Zinni advises
Retired general still draws crowds despite criticism of war, Bush camp

By Gidget Fuentes
Times staff writer

OCEANSIDE, Calif. — As far as published authors go, Tony Zinni drew modest crowds of autograph-seekers waiting to get their hands on his new book at two Marine Corps bases.
As far as retired generals go, Gen. Anthony C. Zinni joins the small group of maverick leathernecks who have raised eyebrows by criticizing government policy over the years.

Zinni’s target is the Bush administration’s cadre of neoconservatives he says zealously drew the United States — and his beloved Marine Corps — into a protracted counterinsurgency fight in Iraq. In his eyes, it’s the wrong reason to risk the lives of U.S. troops, the nation’s credibility in the volatile Middle East and its reputation as a world leader.

“In the lead-up to the war and its later conduct, I saw, at a minimum, true dereliction, negligence, and irresponsibility; at worst, lying, incompetence, and corruption,” he wrote in “Battle Ready,” a new book, written with Tom Clancy and Tony Koltz, that he dedicated to the military’s enlisted men and women. “False rationales presented as justification; a flawed strategy; lack of planning; the unnecessary alienation of our allies; the underestimation of the task; the unnecessary distraction from real threats; and the unbearable strain dumped on our over-stretched military, all of these caused me to speak out.”

Perhaps anyone else uttering such sentiments would be ostracized from the power circles of retired officers and combat veterans. But this is Zinni, the intellectual and easygoing general who was wildly popular among Marines while commanding I Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Pendleton, Calif., in the 1990s.

Visits by the retired four-star general, a decorated two-tour Vietnam veteran who was chief of U.S. Central Command when he retired in 2000, have furrowed the brows of base officials overseeing movements of thousands of Marines shipping out for or returning home from Iraq.

A mix of active and retired Marines and spouses attended the various events, where Zinni got plenty of applause from the troops. He also gave professional military education lectures to Marines and sailors.

“The chain of command has got to give you the freedom to speak your mind,” he said June 22 during a break from autographing books at the Marine Corps Association Bookstore at Camp Pendleton.

At Pendleton, the 60-year-old Zinni drew an audience of hundreds to listen to his remarks and ask questions at the base theater and scores of people who waited for him to autograph their books.

While leading U.S. Central Command, senior commanders “told us to speak our minds,” he said.

Zinni added he doesn’t see that obligation stopping because he retired.

Zinni draws not only admirers, but also critics who question his loyalty to the Corps. Some say he shouldn’t question administration policies or denounce the leadership. Others say he’s taking a tough anti-administration stance in an effort to position himself for a leadership role — perhaps as defense secretary — in a John Kerry-led White House.

But he sees his “mouthing off” as an obligation.

“There’s a tradition amongst Marines about worrying about the troops and the American people that makes us mouth off, and I hope you’re injected with the same thing,” he said at a Marine Corps Aviation Association dinner at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar near San Diego. “It’s painful, but it’s worth it. And it may be a form of patriotism that we ought to pay more attention to.”

Part of Zinni’s zealous defense of free speech comes from the silence of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the Vietnam War and the insistence of former Defense Secretary William Cohen that his chiefs not repeat that.

Zinni says he sees himself keeping the Corps’ tradition of outspokenness, putting himself in the company of Maj. Gen. Smedley D. Butler and Gen. David M. Shoup, both Medal of Honor recipients.

Butler, a double Medal of Honor recipient and veteran of the “Banana Wars” in Central America who later hopped on the lecture circuit, penned a small book, “War is a Racket,” in the 1930s. Shoup, the 22nd commandant, went on to condemn the Vietnam War after his 1963 retirement.

Unlike Shoup, who ran for Congress, Zinni dismisses the notion that his criticism of administration policies indicates that he is politically motivated.

“I’ve been branded a liberal Democrat, because you criticize,” he told the Miramar crowd.

For now, he says, his focus remains on Iraq, where 40,000 Marines are beginning to turn over combat duty and the U.S. military braces for the June 30 transition to an interim Iraqi government amid continuing insurgent attacks.

“The worst is yet to come, if we are not careful,” he said, noting Iraq’s elections set for January.

“If they fail in this, there is no Plan B.”

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=0-MARINEPAPER-3040629.php

Ellie

yellowwing
07-06-04, 08:33 AM
Yeah well, we still got the job done. Our Leadership may never be a perfect machine. But they always can depend on the Corps to get things done.

I'd bet you dollars to donuts that Zinni would drop his book tour to take over a combat regiment once more. :marine:

thedrifter
07-11-04, 08:06 AM
Friday, July 09, 2004
Remarks by Senator Zell Miller (D-GA) During Today's Bush-Cheney '04 Conference Call

ARLINGTON, VA-- Today, U.S. Senator Zell Miller (D-GA) made the following remarks during a Bush-Cheney '04 conference call:

"Last night John Kerry held a fundraiser in New York that featured performers in a time of war calling the President of the United States 'a killer,' 'a cheap thug' and 'a liar.' John Kerry just sat there, grinning like a mule eating briars.

"Far from condemning this display of hatred, he said their remarks represented the 'heart and soul' of our country. These are not the values of Southern voters. These are not the values of rural voters, and this is just another example of how far out of the mainstream Senator Kerry really is.

"What made this so amazing to me is that it was just last weekend he was telling voters in the Midwest that he shared their 'conservative values.' He told the people of the heartland about his belief that life begins at conception, and he bragged about his love of hunting. And he told about how he loved to drive that John Deere tractor around plowing. I didn't hear any of those comments in Senator Kerry's remarks to his audience in New York.

"Senator Kerry has taken more than one side of the most important issues facing our country, but I’m particularly troubled that he has now taken two positions on his own set of values. Senator Kerry is telling voters different things depending on who his audience is and where he’s speaking.

"The voters I talk to aren't looking for someone to tell them what they want to hear, they are looking for someone to tell them what they believe. After this past week, I'm not sure anyone knows what Senator Kerry believes, including Senator Kerry. His values seem to shift depending on whether he is talking to farmers or rock stars.

"Last night was the latest example of the sickness afflicting my party - the Party that I’ve been active in for more than fifty years. The hate we see today in the Democratic Party does not represent the party of hope that I once knew. And while I’m disappointed that Senator Kerry praised these attacks, I am not surprised.

"I believe that what you say about others speaks volumes about yourself, and sadly, that’s true of today’s Democratic Party."

http://georgewbush.com/KerryMediaCenter/Read.aspx?ID=2922

Ellie

d c taveapont
07-11-04, 02:42 PM
General Zinni is right....were we ever attacked by iraq....we were attacked by terrorist who have no home country....terrorist who are of middle east ancestry...i feel sad for every family who has lost someone in this war...i used to hear all the talk about going in and doing the job....and now we have turned the country over to its selected leaders...as for the WMDs I want to see TONS of the stuff like it was said...to me that is solid proof....i have heard that we have freed a nation and on the other hand we are fighting against terror....did iraq pose a threat no does al-queda YES...our war is against the terrorist who have no military structure....so we have to kill them where ever we find them...and not by invading countries...

WillManning
07-12-04, 09:34 AM
This is not drawn to exact scale but:

Lets take a look at what's within a 1500(+/-) mile circle of Baghdad, shall we?

Even if you cut the area in half, the area would go from the Red Sea to over 3/4's of Iran. The way I see it, that's one hell of a way to let the rest of that region to wake up and take notice that "We ain't gonna take yer sh*t anymore. Either clean out your closets or we'll clean house."

thedrifter
08-01-04, 07:20 AM
See Y'All in New York
Why I skipped the Boston convention.

BY ZELL MILLER
Saturday, July 31, 2004 12:01 a.m. EDT

Twelve years ago, I delivered one of the keynote addresses on the first night at the Democratic National Convention in New York. It was a stinging rebuke of the administration of George H.W. Bush and a ringing endorsement of Bill Clinton. This summer I'll again be speaking in New York, but it will be to the Republican Convention that renominates George W. Bush.

Many have asked how I could have come so far in just over a decade. Frankly, I don't think I've changed much at all. At 72, I don't feel much need to change my opinions. Instead, the reason I didn't attend the Democratic Convention in Boston is that I barely recognize my party anymore. Most of its leaders--including our nominee, John Kerry--don't hold the same beliefs that have motivated my career in public service.

In 1992, I spoke of the opportunity and hope that allowed me, the son of a single mother growing up in the North Georgia mountains, to become my state's governor. And I attributed much of my success to the great Democratic presidents of years gone by--FDR (a hallowed man in my home), Truman and JFK. The link these men shared was a commitment to helping Americans born into any condition rise to achieve whatever goal they set for themselves.

I spoke of Americans who were "tired of paying more in taxes and getting less in services." I excoriated Republicans who "dealt in cynicism and skepticism." I accused them of mastering "the art of division and diversion." And I praised Bill Clinton as a moderate Democrat "who has the courage to tell some of those liberals who think welfare should continue forever, and some of those conservatives who think there should be no welfare at all, that they're both wrong."

Bill Clinton did deliver on welfare reform, after a lot of prodding from the Republicans who took hold of Congress in 1995. But much of the rest of the promise I saw in his candidacy withered during his two terms in office.

Today, it's the Democratic Party that has mastered the art of division and diversion. To run for president as a Democrat these days you have to go from interest group to interest group, cap in hand, asking for the support of liberal kingmakers. Mr. Kerry is no different. After Hollywood elites profaned the president, he didn't have the courage to put them in their place. Instead, he validated their remarks, claiming that they represent "the heart and soul of America."
No longer the party of hope, today's Democratic Party has become Mr. Kerry's many mansions of cynicism and skepticism. As our economy continues to get better and businesses add jobs, Mr. Kerry's going around America trying to convince people that the roof is about to cave in. He talks about "the misery index" and the Depression. What does he know about either?

And when it comes to taxes and services, you'd be pressed to find anyone more opposed to the interests of middle-class Americans than John Kerry. Except maybe John Edwards. Both voted against tax relief for married couples, tax relief for families with children, and tax relief for small businesses. Now Mr. Kerry wants to raise taxes on hundreds of thousands of small-business owners and millions of individuals. He claims to be for working people, but I don't understand how small businesses can create jobs if they've got to send more money to Washington instead of keeping it to hire workers.

Worst of all, Sens. Kerry and Edwards have not kept faith with the men and women who are fighting the war on terror--most of whom come from small towns and middle-class families all over America. While Mr. Bush has stood by our troops every step of the way, Messrs. Kerry and Edwards voted to send our troops to war and then voted against the money to give them supplies and equipment--not to mention better benefits for their families. And recently Mr. Kerry even said he's proud of that vote. Proud to abandon our troops when they're out in the field? I can hear Harry Truman cussing from his grave.

I still believe in hope and opportunity and, when it comes right down to it, Mr. Bush is the man who represents hope and opportunity. Hope for a safer world. And opportunity for Americans to work hard, keep more of the money they earn, and send their kids to good schools. All the speeches we heard this week weren't able to hide the truth of what today's Democratic Party has become: an enclave of elites paying lip service to middle-class values. Americans looking for a president who understands their struggles and their dreams should tune in next month, when we celebrate the leadership of George W. Bush.

Mr. Miller is a Democratic senator from Georgia.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110005426

Ellie